Those are my two best genres. I'll be running it through a Peavey Vypyr. MY current axe is an Ibanez RG370DXGP4. NO FLOYD ROSE!!

Price Range=$350-$800
les paul.. i HATE the way the necks connected to the body though... =[ sounds great though. a friend of mine has an alpine white with gold hardware epiphone
strat, jagmaster, sg, semi-hollow body guitars seem to be good too possibly even a tele
Just saw a used SG 800$ black off craigslist. Check eBay or craigslist you can get a nice Gibson or Fender for about 650-800$ which are best for classic rock cuz they're really the only guitars they used.
Smart Pothead and Proud
prs se custom
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Strat or Tele.
It depends on what kind of Classic Rock/Alternative Rock you're talking about.

Mostly high gain- Strat
Mostly clean- Tele
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
I am totally GASing for one of these:
Schecter PT
I think that the humbuckers with coil taps give you the best of both worlds tones, and the price is right. Man, I need a new job so I can get me some more gee-tars.
Anyway, if you can find a guitar with coil taps, so you can go from the humbucker to single coil tones, you could cover all the bases with one guitar.
Go with a Strat.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb