Minor Pentatonic, Blues pentatonic, Natural Minor, Harmonic minor (my favorite)

Modes: dorian, phrygian
any scale will work. just play it really metal. there is no magical metal scale that is more metal than the others. the minor scale and the harmonic and melodic versions of it are pretty common, but there's no rule.
Quote by Blckspawn
What scales would be best to use for metal solos?

phthygrain or what ever.. i forget how to spell it lol... pentontics or whatever... i use all the church modes to... just go lessons and type church mdoes
PANTERA
Quote by KGB_INC
none. i've never had sex.
probably never will.

My Gear:
B.C Rich Warlock
32 year old antique yamaha accustic
Peavey Ovation
Peavey Millenium Bxp 5 string Bass
2000 Watt Peavey PA system
Line 6 Floor Pod
They do not exist.

Metal is purley phrasing such as playing blues licks fast, tapping, whammy bar action, pinch harmonics, scale runs, chromatic notes, etc.

The pentatonic and minor scale however both can be used in a metal context easily.
Like 99% of Western music, metal relies almost exclusively on the major and minor scales.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Which subgenre of metal?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Minor, harmonic minor and lydian are the ones I usually use. If you're into thrash and stuff like that, phyrigan usually works well. For the really old-school blues metal, try the blues pentatonic. Also, if you're really, really good at composing or just dig the sound of chaos, use the chromatic scale.
Quote by GustavLW
Minor, harmonic minor and lydian are the ones I usually use. If you're into thrash and stuff like that, phyrigan usually works well. For the really old-school blues metal, try the blues pentatonic. Also, if you're really, really good at composing or just dig the sound of chaos, use the chromatic scale.

+1
it s all in the phrasing, if you get the right phrasing any scale will sound metal, don't worry about using just a basic major or minor scale, when used correctly majors and minor can sound superior to other more complex scales.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Like 99% of Western music, metal relies almost exclusively on the major and minor scales.

+1.

People throwing out all these suggestions about modes are completely missing the point here -- as said above, the phrasing is key along with the harmonic backing.
For some reason a couple of my students havn't liked this answer. In no way are these two scales limiting at all, which should be obvious since there are decades of great music written in them. Not saying you believe this, but I'd rather waste a few keystrokes and thirty seconds of your time pointing this out than have you believe something so detrimental to your musical development.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by Blckspawn
What scales would be best to use for metal solos?

Aeolian
Phrygian
Harmonic Minor
1/2-1 Diminished
1-1/2 Diminished
Hungarian

Those are my favs. Honestly the world of metal is so varied now that some of the "typical" metal scales might not even apply. It's mostly just using your ear and deciding which you like best.
The minor scale is the most used by far. Minor seconds dont mean phrygian, they are usually added chromatic notes. I haven't heard a whole ton of metal and thought, wow that sounds very Phyrgian to me.
newaeonwisdom, I don't know the Hungarian scale, can you write the intervals out for me please?
If an "uber-brutal-heavy-metal scale" existed, you could still make it sound like a romantic power pop ballad.

The key to making a solo sound like metal is not in the scale you use, but the instrumentation, tempo, phrasing, harmony and countless other factors.
Quote by NoOne0507
newaeonwisdom, I don't know the Hungarian scale, can you write the intervals out for me please?

Sure thing,

Hungarian Gypsy:
H W H H W H W H H

Hungarian Major:
W H H W H W H W

Hungarian Minor:
W H W H H H W H H

I really like using these when I'm going for a more eastern sound, i find them a little more interesting to mess around with.
i dont get this
why do SOOO many people make threads about "what scale should i use for pop/metal/jazz/blues?"

"its not which scale you use, its HOW you use them" has been said in every single thread like that.

why do people still think that using a certain scale can make you sound pop/metal/jazz/blues??????
why oh why oh why....
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
forget using scales.use your ears.if it sounds good play it.if not,play it louder
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
You can play anything you want.

Its weird because Iommi can play a blues scale and you will hear "metal"

Hendrix and Gilmour's solos can hide the fact you're listening to a scale all together.

or you can take Slash..let him solo and change the backing tracks behind him with a common key ..and his solos will become anything he plays on top of.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett