Yeah, a little proggy, a little thrashy, and a hint of traditional metal.

Influenced by a lot of post-rock, Mastodon, Opeth, and Artillery.

When I say thrash, I also don't mean "YEAH, let's 200mph for the whole song...BZZZZZZ" but more in the angry sounding riffing. I'm also trying to decide what kind of vocals to use for this song.

Enjoy?
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Last edited by Slaytanic1993 at Mar 28, 2009,
Can't say I'm a huge fan of the intro riff but I loved the riff at bar 9, the tempo change worked flawlessly.

The riff at bar 25, is it supposed to sound kind of death metal or still thrash? I think if you changed a few of the notes (not the note durations) you can make it sound super menacing, perhaps something dissonant? To me this riff sounds kind of "happy" and I think it can be turned into something better (and by better I'm not saying make it dissonant, I can't put my finger on it but theres something missing in this riff that would make it complete).

Bar 39, **** ya! @ bar 31 I wasn't too sure it flowed w/ the song then the drums kicked in at 39 and it changed all that, good stuff.

I like the instrument break, it totally works and I was always a sucker for syncopated passages.

The only thing that I didn't really like about this song is the outro/end, a song like this can't just end lol, your song though so you decide. I would have ended it with some crazy fast instrumental or some creepy slow acoustic stuff.

7/10

crit a song from my latest album? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1095241
"Our revenge so everlasting sweet,
Enslave your Children, Behead the weak,
Kill every last Man, Woman and Machine
The cleansing has begun.
Your meek defense is foolish,
we come from the stars a trillion strong."
It's a WIP. It's not the full song I'm still working out the kinks and so forth

I'll check yours out sometime today.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
It's a WIP. It's not the full song I'm still working out the kinks and so forth

I'll check yours out sometime today.

Ah, I completely forgot about it while I was writing the crit lol, well in that case its a pretty damn good WIP! Thanks for the crit too!
"Our revenge so everlasting sweet,
Enslave your Children, Behead the weak,
Kill every last Man, Woman and Machine
The cleansing has begun.
Your meek defense is foolish,
we come from the stars a trillion strong."
This song sounds like a hybrid of early Opeth and early Morbid Angel haha, not something you hear everyday.

The only thing that really gets to me is the fact you use the same transitions between every section: the whole "stop the drums, play only guitar, and then kick back everything at once" sort of thing. It gives the song too much of a disjointed feel, and sounds like you are just sticking different styles together without any coherence. Drum rolls at the end of the last bar of a section, bass fills, sudden transitions, mix it up, man.
Thanks, I re-listened and realised you're right

I kept two of them (as they actually fit), but evened it out more.

I'm almost done with this...so, I'll prolly tkae another hour off and finish it or something

Quote by eggsandham2
Yeah, it's done for my tastes. I'm hopelessly inspired.
Attachments:
thrashyprogsludge.zip

Quote by eggsandham2
Nice work on this. Sounds very Testament-ish to me in parts.

The riff at 23 is where it starts to get really interesting, deviating from the usual thrash sound, if you see what I mean.

I'm really impressed with how you managed to make 15/16 actually work, actually. If I hadn't seen the time sig note, I probably wouldn't have noticed it, which is to me a sign that it's been done well, instead of just sounding like Dream Theater

In the instrumental break, might I just suggest having the drums come in a bit earlier? Even if it's just a pound on the toms every now and then, just to fill up the sound somewhat, or an old school DM-style cymbal choke? Just a thought. The riffing is pretty cool though, I can see how you're chucking as much into the song and actually pulling it off.

FEAR THE KRAKEN! mmk It's pretty cool, but seems a bit redundant maybe? I can see the verse after the break seguing nicely into the opening riff again, and then just having the Kraken bit afterwards, as you already have.

I like the little ending riff. Would treat itself well to a Keith Moon style fill.

Really good stuff. I'd rate it but I don't think it would accomplish much. Overall it's consistent despite the amount of things in there which is hard to do in itself, and doesn't feel contrived or stuck together.
Pretty Good. I think the transition at 18 and 19 could be better though. I love how you mix so many genres into one song. There are some great metal parts, and then at 91, theres this sweet like punk/grunge part. Overall, great job.

C4C?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19393509#post19393509