Im buying a 2nd hand amp soon, wich is gonna be the first time. i would like to know some pointers what to look for if theres any obvious things that could be wrong with it. its probably gonna be an ENGL fireball 60 watt head.

Soo pointers what to look / listen for would be greatly appreciated.
Guitars:
Fender stratocaster california series (usa)
Gibson Les Paul classic (1960)
Amps:
ENGL Fireball 60W - Framus FR 2x12 Celestion v30's
Pedals: POD x3 LIVE, BOSS OD-1
GAS: Pedals
Killer choice! Check out the tubes and lowball a little if you think they need replacement.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
im pretty clueless when it comes to tube amps, ive been playing trough my started solid state amp ever since i started out :P how can you see / hear if the tubes are in need of replacement?
Guitars:
Amps:
Quote by Sokkeh
im pretty clueless when it comes to tube amps, ive been playing trough my started solid state amp ever since i started out :P how can you see / hear if the tubes are in need of replacement?

Well honestly I'd go ahead and replace the power tubes anyway and get them biased. I mean chances are it needs it. YOu can try it with the ones in it and if it sounds good then it sounds good. You don't really have to go looking for something wrong. Tube amps are a pretty easy system. They aren't very complex. So if it works and sounds good then theres nothing wrong with it.

I'd go ahead and get some tubes. What does that use? It probably only uses like 2 6l6's don't it? That won't cost much at all.

Also tube amps will have a hum and noise that you are not used to with your solid state amp so don't think your amp is tore up when you hear a hum sound coming from it. Also it will have a lot more feedback you will need a noise gate chances are. But when I first got my first tube amp years ago I was used to solid state and I kept hearing all the hum and static and thought my amp was old or tore up and then bought a new one and it did the same thing.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Mar 28, 2009,
it uses 3x ECC83 preamp tubes and 1 x ECC83, 2 x 6L6GC power amp tubes. thanks for the help. also got any ideas on a cabinet i should get with it?
Guitars:
Amps:
Last edited by Sokkeh at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Sokkeh
it uses 3x ECC83 preamp tubes and 1 x ECC83, 2 x 6L6GC power amp tubes. thanks for the help. also got any ideas on a cabinet i should get with it?

What's the budget?

The vadar line of cabs would be best for it.

I'm going to get flammed for this but I use my b-52 480 watt cab over any of my cabs. I also have two v30 loaded cabs that I don't even use. I prefer the sound of the b-52 and it only cost me 399. Vadar cabs are around 600 I think. They are really nice. Avatar is nice too but you can't buy them in stores so you have to go through the ordering.
Make sure to put the amp through the paces. Check all channels if it has multiple, turn up up really loud, put all the knobs through their ranges (except volume, might not want to dime it, but get as loud as you feel comfortable.) If it has reverb, make sure to check it it too. Listen for unusual feedback, unusual distortion/blown speakers, wavering volume or tone, or any weird noises. Scratchy pots are no big deal, can be fixed with spray electrical cleaner.
Like was mentioned, if a tube amp checks out, there isn't a ton that can go wrong, other than tubes. Good idea to replace the tubes like the previous poster mentioned, keep the old set for spares in case you lose a tube at a gig.