I've been looking, and I've been to a couple of teachers out there, but they're just not what Im looking for.

I keep finding people who teach Mel Bay guitar method or stuff like that. Im not looking for the basics. the only things those methods can help me with are my reading (which in all honesty is very sad and needs the help), and... my reading. to be honest... I dont care to pay a teacher to help with my reading, its something I can work on in my spare time for *free*...

I'm looking for a teacher to help explain music theory concepts to me, help me improve my chops, and teach me stylistic things. Not to mention that a teacher of that nature would probably help my reading ability out as well, but reading isnt the only thing I want/need help with.

I realize that, if I can find such a teacher, it will cost markedly more, but I am willing and able to pay it.

my question is, are there any teachers out there like that, and how can I find them?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Check out mikial Robertson on myspace dude is off the chain and can teach anybody.
problem is that guy is in Indiani, and Im in upstate New York. And when I say upstate I mean like and hour and a half from Albany.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Upstate New York? Hey Ya! NYC here.

If it's New York, there's bound to be a lot of guitar teachers around. If you want, you can take the trip to the city, there lots more here.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Upstate New York? Hey Ya! NYC here.

If it's New York, there's bound to be a lot of guitar teachers around. If you want, you can take the trip to the city, there lots more here.

I bet, but the city is quite far from me. hell Im closer to Canada. theres like nothing around here. When you say upstate, people always seem to think your in the catskills or something... no, this is the adirondacks...

anyway a better question would be how am I supposed to find good teachers on my own. It seems to me that most are offered by guitar shops and are very basic, and rarely leave method books. Hell, I can play better than some of the people offering lessons in some instances (but to be fair, they can read thousands of times better than me).

where do I go to look for qualified musicians who are teaching? Is there some directory or something? or do I just have to ask around?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Do you ask some of the beginner teachers for a teacher who can teach what you want? They should have some contacts they can offer you, although it sort of is rude to say "hey, do you know a teacher better than you?"
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
If you continue to have difficulty finding a suitable teacher then you could attempt to teach yourself guitar using a Fretlight Guitar. The instrument is plugged into a computer and scale charts, chord shapes, and the notes used in specific songs are displayed on LED's that are surreptitiously mounted inside the fretboard. B-Stock Fretlight Guitars are often available at Ebay for a very fair price. I've been teaching guitar for about ten years and I own an acoustic version of this guitar, which I use as a supplement during my lessons.
Fretlight Website