I'm a beginner and I purchased a guitar two days ago. I bought a Korg CA-30 tuner cause my friend reccomended it. Now my question is this. How exactly do you tune a guitar safely. Do I twist up, down, or both? Can anything get damaged if I mess up with tuning? Like for example twisting the tuners too much.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: K I think I've finally got it lol. The only thing is that the G string was a little tight when I had to raise the pitch. Then afterwards the B string made a low crack-like sound when I tuned it. Is that normal?
Last edited by kashmir89 at Mar 28, 2009,
If you tune too much, all that can happen is broken strings, nothing more (well, not like that's fun). It's one way to tune a string up, and the other to tune it down, this you have to look for yourself (twist a tuner (not too much), see what way it goes on your Korg (up/down))
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Acoustic - For the standard E tuning (what the tuner should be preset too), just place your tuner close to the hole on your acoustic and pluck a string. It should show you what your note is. Your tuner has a sound check type of option. Click that button and it will tell you what each string "should" sound like. Just try to match it as close as possible. Note: Don't turn the pegs too quick
Twisting up or down depends on whether you are sharp or flat.

Being sharp refers to out of tune with a pitch HIGHER than you should be.
Being flat refers to out of tune with a pitch LOWER than you should be.

If the string is sharp, you release a little tension on the string (and I mean a little), until you get the desired note, i.e. when your tuner tells you it's right. If the string is flat, vice versa. You can't turn too far unless you're doing the wrong string with the tuner. Make sure you've got the right string selected.

And keep your eyes away from the strings, as they can rarely snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn46VuvS88Y

You could just use this until you know what you're doing better. Just match them!
Quote by kashmir89
I'm a beginner and I purchased a guitar two days ago. I bought a Korg CA-30 tuner cause my friend reccomended it. Now my question is this. How exactly do you tune a guitar safely. Do I twist up, down, or both? Can anything get damaged if I mess up with tuning? Like for example twisting the tuners too much.

Thanks in advance.

Which direction you go depends on what note you are starting with and what note you are trying to achieve. No nothing can really get damaged with tuning the worst that can happen is broken strings. If you jump to extremes in tuning say from standard to B Standard that obviously you may have some neck issues after a while.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
turning the pegs clockwise lowers the pitch of the string, counterclockwise raises pitch, standard tuning is eadgbe (i remember it by "eddie ate dynamite, good bye eddie") so just plug ur guitar into the tuner and mess around with the strings till its in tune, and if you tune too high youll break the string!
Quote by StratStar21
turning the pegs clockwise lowers the pitch of the string, counterclockwise raises pitch, standard tuning is eadgbe (i remember it by "eddie ate dynamite, good bye eddie") so just plug ur guitar into the tuner and mess around with the strings till its in tune, and if you tune too high youll break the string!

that if the guitar is "correcly" strung.
You like it
K I think I've finally got it lol. The only thing is that the G string was a little tight when I had to raise the pitch. Then afterwards the B string made a crack-like sound when I tuned it. Is that normal?