so lately i have been thinking about learning blues. I mainly play hair/glam metal and hard rock and i listen to a lot of Zeppelin, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, pretty much 70s and 80s stuff and some newer bands. I was jamming with my uncles a lot and we did a lot of Stevie Ray Vaughun (dont know spelling) and i noticed a lot of 70s bands were based off blues. Also my 3 favorite guitarist Eddie Van Halen, Mark Kendall (Great White), and Mick Mars were all heavily influenced in the blues. I was hoping to learn blues to get a more bluesy feel in writing music on guitar and improvising. Would this help a lot in developing a bluesy sound? Also i wanted to sort of mabye modernize blues in my music like making it hard rock bluesy feel like Eddie did.

So can someone reccomend me some bands and artists?
Are there any good places to start learning blues such as internet sites or books i can buy?

thanks for the help
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
BB King, Albert King, Freddie King, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Listen to the old guys. B.B.King, Albert King, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Lightnin' Hopkins are good to start. Then Hendrix, early Clapton, Jimmy Paige, Jeff Beck and Peter Green.
Blues is more about attitude than technique.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Listen to the old guys. B.B.King, Albert King, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Lightnin' Hopkins are good to start. Then Hendrix, early Clapton, Jimmy Paige, Jeff Beck and Peter Green.
Blues is more about attitude than technique.

yeah i realize that

one thing that really draws me too blues
is the emotion poured into the guitar
i love the way SRV plays he puts so much feel into everything he played
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I-IV-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I

1 b3 4 #4 5 b7

There, youve just learned everything there is to know about blues
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by ilikebebop
are you tub atom or tuba tom

tuba tom

Pretty serious orchestral/concert tubist, but I also play a lot of jazz and cover type gigs for bass
Quote by tubatom868686
I-IV-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-I

1 b3 4 #4 5 b7

There, youve just learned everything there is to know about blues

Oh STFU.

There is much more, such as phrasing, vibrato, and improvisation.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Quote by SilverDark
Oh STFU.

There is much more, such as phrasing, vibrato, and improvisation.

Calm down chief. Its a joke. J-O-K-E. Ever heard of one? And actually, theres not much more that he can learn on a forum. Almost everything that you can learn in blues has to be learned through listening