Schecter Hellraiser C-8 8 String Guitar
23 35%
STEFB8 Stephen Carpenter Baritone 8 String Electric Guitar
8 12%
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige Electric Guitar
35 53%
Voters: 66.
Page 1 of 2
I'm considering a Ibanez, Schecter or an ESP 8 string guitar. I've searched and there's equal support for all three of them.

What's your opinion?

Which has the best reputation? Which gives the heaviest sound? Which does the best under distortion to reject all signs of muddy qualities?

Schecter - ESP - Ibanez

Thanks.
I'd go Ibanez or some kind of custom shop model if you have a large budget.Ibanez just for the thin neck which is very important when you factor in the width of an 8 strings neck and the MIJ quality that beats the 8 string Schecter and LTD models.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If you have a really large budget, Perry (ormsbyguitars) is trying to sell of an 8 string he made.
But besides that, I'd say Ibanez.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I would say Ibanez aswell. They have more footing in metal which is what you seem interested in playing.
Well if you have an eight string guitar what are you going to play?
meh
Quote by ZackyJW83
I would say Ibanez aswell. They have more footing in metal which is what you seem interested in playing.
Well if you have an eight string guitar what are you going to play?

I'll be doing things mostly inspired by Whitechapel and Job For A Cowboy.
Lol baritone guitar
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Fik0n
8 Strings = Epic facepalm

Idiots who don't understand the uses of extended range/string guitars always make me chuckle .

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Agile???? There are a couple of companies that aren't that big that have 8 strings for a decent price.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by CarbonDeath
Agile???? There are a couple of companies that aren't that big that have 8 strings for a decent price.

I wasn't aware. Thanks for the heads-up.
I say Schecter. especially because that C-8 is a limited edition. I'd grab one asap.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I would recommend the Ibanez because it will never go out of tune. It has an Edge 3
Quote by JELIFISH19
I would recommend the Ibanez because it will never go out of tune. It has an Edge 3

I'm amazed i'm the first person too catch this.

You're an idiot.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It's fixed, it was a joke, but a serious joke. It won't go out of tune though.

In that case, I retract my previous statement.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Idiots who don't understand the uses of extended range/string guitars always make me chuckle .

Guitarists who want to be bassists make me chuckle :Rolleyes:

Its up to you. I'd go Ibanez if you want. I don't see the purpose of an 8 string.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
Quote by ToalNOOB

Its up to you. I'd go Ibanez if you want. I don't see the purpose of an 8 string.

people who fail at a smiley because of a simple error while trying to be cool make me want to punch a small animal

And what's wrong with bassists going to guitar and vice-versa?
OMG get the ESP! I have the 7 string version and it's immense!
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Quote by ToalNOOB

I don't see the problem with two extra strings, but thanks for the advice.
I'd take the ibanez because i have tried 7 string schecter and LTD guitars and the necks were just too big for my tastes.

If i'm not mistaken, halo is still trying to get their sh*t together and still isn't making great guitars. I'd avoid them if i was you.

As someone else pointed out, Agile could be a good choice as well. Their Intrepid models started shipping not long ago and they seem really nice. I think highlord has one, he posted about it in the 7 string/ERG thread. Check that out
You won't find the Schecter C-8 outside of eBay, for the record. They only made a limited run for 2009, and they won't make another until next year. Your best hope is to find someone who is selling theirs.

+1 on the Agile, though. I bought one, and I love it. They're taking pre-orders for the July run right now for something liek $350 (the other $350 due in July). Kurt at Rondo is a great guy to work with, so if you have any questions, shoot him an email.
Quote by ToalNOOB

There's someone like you in any thread on any forum where 8 strings(or even 7) are brought up. It's idiotic. Just because you can't think of how something would benefit your playing specifically, does not mean it doesn't have uses. Just the fact that you think it has anything to do with wanting to be a bassist is asinine.

Now, back on topic, I've got an intrepid coming in July and I can not wait.
The intrepids do seem to be the best option, longer scale length, varied colours and both passive and active models, they are a lot more versatile in terms on customising etc.

TS - Have you played a 7, or even an 8 before?
Quote by CarbonDeath

This. The new models with the Kahler look amazing. Plus you will have a lot of money left over

Quote by ToalNOOB

even if an 8-string guitar is getting into bass territory...have you heard an 8-string guitar? Sounds NOTHING like a bass...it still has guitar sound properties.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 30, 2009,
Quote by ToalNOOB

Great job making yourself look like an idiot who can't type right and has a closed mind when it comes to guitars.It's not a matter of wanting to be a bassist.Some guitarists are actually talented and see the potential and numerous options in having more notes and strings at their finger tips.Just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't automatically mean there's anything wrong with it little boy.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Great job making yourself look like an idiot who can't type right and has a closed mind when it comes to guitars.It's not a matter of wanting to be a bassist.Some guitarists are actually talented and see the potential and numerous options in having more notes and strings at their finger tips.Just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't automatically mean there's anything wrong with it little boy.

+1 It just makes me laugh nowadays, trolls who come into a thread to entirely base their argument on "Buy a Bass" A guitar hitting bass notes and a bass hitting bass notes are two extremely different timbres of sound.
Quote by hmmm_de_hum
+1 It just makes me laugh nowadays, trolls who come into a thread to entirely base their argument on "Buy a Bass" A guitar hitting bass notes and a bass hitting bass notes are two extremely different timbres of sound.

That whole argument is retarded and extremely flawed at best .Taking aside the fact that the notes sound extremely different,what kind of bass out there gives you the high note capabilities of a 7 or 8 string? Oh that's right,none of them do.People think it's "guitarists wanting to be bassists" when in reality it's guitarist wanting to extend their musical options and wanting more to work with.For some reason people can't comprehend the fact that it's just a six string with added options for lower notes and crazy chords.They seem to think that adding a string or two makes it into a completely different instrument that's incapable of playing six string material or something.

You do realize I already tagged for him the other day, and then ten people follow me and do the same poser bitches
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You do realize I already tagged for him the other day, and then ten people follow me and do the same poser bitches

It was directed at me so when I was reading through I just couldn't let it go.I tried to be relatively nice on him,what with his obvious crippling mental handicap .

Quote by Pr0gNut
It was directed at me so when I was reading through I just couldn't let it go.I tried to be relatively nice on him,what with his obvious crippling mental handicap .

Was it you that made mention of some kid acting like he should have a helmet and a Pete Rose haircut? I remember someone saying that.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Was it you that made mention of some kid acting like he should have a helmet and a Pete Rose haircut? I remember someone saying that.

Of course it was me

I can't remember what exact thread that was,but I remember asking if it was hard for him in daily life with his crippling learning disability.Then I said something like "lose the hockey helmet and Pete Rose haircut".After that one of the mods called us morons and closed the thread.

Quote by iemabeaner
I'll be doing things mostly inspired by Whitechapel and Job For A Cowboy.

Oh god please don't.

If you're going to get an 8 string guitar use the low string properly instead of just using it for br00tal open string chugz.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Oh god please don't.

If you're going to get an 8 string guitar use the low string properly instead of just using it for br00tal open string chugz.

To be fair there is nothing wrong with that anyway, the main thing being that it does work for those bands, Meshuggah pride themselves on limited note rhythms/chugging.

I think the point to make here would be to not just limit yourself to that style, yes it does work very well in a basic metal chugging fashion, but it also serves well in open chordal patterns, providing depth to particular chords.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Of course it was me

I can't remember what exact thread that was,but I remember asking if it was hard for him in daily life with his crippling learning disability.Then I said something like "lose the hockey helmet and Pete Rose haircut".After that one of the mods called us morons and closed the thread.

good times. I know it wasn't the best buy kid. It might've been the guy who tried to do the fender threads.
Page 1 of 2