Hey everyone.

At the moment I have a Schecter Omen 6 Diamond Series. Its a nice guitar, and it was my first guitar, so I am looking to upgrade. Its a cool guitar for playing metal and you can get some nice distortion out of it. However, I'd like a guitar that is more suited to playing rock and blues, ZZ Top kind of sounds.

I know that alot of people will say change the amp(atm its a line 6 spider 3 ), I am looking into doing that, but I want to upgrade guitar aswell. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

I know this isnt the part of the forum for amplification but, if you have any suggestions on what kind of amp to get, that'd be cool too. Thanks guys!
i don't know you're feelings about semihollows but the epiphone dot is pretty good at blues and even most rock. other than that maybe a Strat?
Uhm what's your budget,what features do you want,and what preferences do you have as far as things like neck shape and size go? These are things we need to know.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

If you want to stick with Schecter, I've found that the C-1+ does rock and blues quite well.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
My budget is anywhere between £500 to £800. Im not too bothered about how the guitar looks. As far as size goes, no bigger than a strat. I'd just like a guitar that can give out some nice bluesy tones, I've found thats the kind of music I enjoy playing most.
PRS SE. No question that PRS is one of the best brands for that combination.
go with a strat or a LP. Both are good for rock and blues, and you could get a ESP LP that can play metal as well, or a HSS strat that can put out some heavier sounds.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by liquidthesis
My budget is anywhere between £500 to £800. Im not too bothered about how the guitar looks. As far as size goes, no bigger than a strat. I'd just like a guitar that can give out some nice bluesy tones, I've found thats the kind of music I enjoy playing most.

An HSS strat would probably work nicely,or a HH tele for the unique factor.An LP style guitar is also a good choice. Pretty much any guitar with low to medium output pups and decent tone woods can do blues tones,on top of being one of the better tones out there it's pretty easy to get IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I'd go for a fender strat if i were you HSS or SSS is up to you:p Just depends if you want it to be more heavy music orientated or not^^
If I were to buy a Fender strat, is there certain ones too look out for? What are the Japanese and Mexican Strats like?

Also, newbie question, what is the difference between HSS and SSS?
Last edited by liquidthesis at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by liquidthesis

I'll second Pr0g_Nut's suggestion of an HSS strat, and just add an Epiphone SG or a Les Paul as well.

Quote by liquidthesis
If I were to buy a Fender strat, is there certain ones too look out for? What are the Japanese and Mexican Strats like?

Nah, as long as it's not a mid-low end Squier and isn't a dud, it's fine.

MIM's are very hit and miss. I've a gem of one that I feel can outclass some American Fenders. On the other hands I've played some that are utter crap. As for MIJ's, I'll let Pr0ggy take this one since he started the MIJ thread.

SSS = Three single-coils. HSS = Humbucker bridge, single-coils in neck and mid.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by liquidthesis

The MIJ strats are awesome,and IMO rival the quality of the MIA series at a lower price.The MIM's are hit or miss,some are nice,and others suffer from bad quality control,so try before you buy.

HSS = humbucker-single coil-single coil

SSS = single coil-single coil-single coil

The difference is that an HSS guitar has a humbucker in the bridge position while an SSS guitar has 3 single coils for its pickups.The HSS is better IMO,as it allows more tonal options out of the guitar.

EDit: I love how Necro and I just said basically the same exact thing.

Quote by necrosis1193
I'll second Pr0g_Nut's suggestion of an HSS strat, and just add an Epiphone SG or a Les Paul as well.

Nah, as long as it's not a mid-low end Squier and isn't a dud, it's fine.

MIM's are very hit and miss. I've a gem of one that I feel can outclass some American Fenders. On the other hands I've played some that are utter crap. As for MIJ's, I'll let Pr0ggy take this one since he started the MIJ thread.

SSS = Three single-coils. HSS = Humbucker bridge, single-coils in neck and mid.

Thanks for explaining that to me obviously an American Fender would be the top end of my budget, I will try out some Mexican made strats.
EDIT: now I read Pr0g_Nut's post, I will be on the look out for Japanese made Strats!
Last edited by liquidthesis at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by liquidthesis
Thanks for explaining that to me obviously an American Fender would be the top end of my budget, I will try out some Mexican made strats.
EDIT: now I read Pr0g_Nut's post, I will be on the look out for Japanese made Strats!

Check out the MIJ thread here.There's a lot of pics and testimonials from owners of MIJ strats and other fender models over there,so it should help give you an idea of their quality level.

If you like Schecters already, check out the Tempest Classic.
These are great alternatives to Epi LP's or SG's. Why? Because they come stock with Seymour Duncan pickups, Grover tuners, and Tone Pros bridges-these are things you'd probably upgrade on an Epi LP anyway. With the Duncan Jazz/SH-11 set in these, I think this is the sound you're looking for to get into blues/rock, ZZ Top inspired territory. It also has a mahogony body, so you're in the LP territory with it.
Also, regadless of the amp you get, you need a tube amp to get those bluesy rock tones. Tube amps are expensive compared to solid state, so you gotta start saving the greenbacks.
Fender makes some decent amps (Blues Deville, for e.g.) that are tube and won't break the bank. People also rave about the Peavey Classics.
Good luck on finding the right guitar.
PRS might be for you. Personally I don't like the feel but if you can find a good deal get one.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson