Hello Everyone-

I just got a low-end Ibanez SA120, and it's pretty darn amazing. It's a thin, Strat-style body, with vintage-style trem and fast neck.
Anyway, I'd like to replace the pickups, although the neck is pretty good, the bridge definitely has to go.
Here's what I'm looking for:
Bridge-Good power and clarity for ripping leads. Pretty hot, but not shrill. Cut through the mix.
Neck-Warmth and definition with the ability to cut through. Versatility for Chicago Blues to Jazz standards.
I've looked at the PAF Seymour's and DiMarzio's. The Gibson 490R and 498T.
Wondering whether to bump up from vintage to medium output. I like to play hard, in the style of Albert King.
Definitely in the style of AK, and Buddy Guy(obviously not a single coil Strat situation).
Lots of the DiMarzio's are looking good, but confused with all the choices:PAF Pro, PAF Joe, PAF 36th. Anniv, etc.
Let me know what you think.
Hopefully, that's enough info and background.
Edit-My amp is a Peavey Classic 30, original issue, with JJ Blues replacement tube set and Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker. Guitar body is mahogany.
Thanks.

Slackerprince
Last edited by Slackerprince at Mar 28, 2009,
The dimarzio breed's and the PAF pros are what you want.
The breeds are inexpensive yet very nuanced. Steve Vai uses them.
The PAF pros are classic, and the respond well with most amps.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
talk to cord of rockmonkeypickups!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
what amp do you have, and what wood is that guitar made of?

a seymour duncan pearly gates is worth investigating.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Oh yeah, sorry. Peavey Classic 30, original issue, with JJ Blues replacement set tubes and Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker.
Guitar body is mahogany.
Thanks.

S.
Duncan Custom Custom bridge, Pearly Gates neck sounds about right for you, maybe even a pair of Pearly Gates.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
How much do you have to spend?

I'd get some sort of PAF style pickup. If you have a fair bit of money to spend look at WCR pickups, they have a nice variation of blues and classic rock style pickups, look at the Fillmore set if you want something a little hotter, and the Crossroads if you want a low output pickup, also look at Lollar Imperials, and as mentioned, CorduroyEW winds pickups and makes a few different flavors of PAF style pickups, he gives a 10% discount to UG members. Gibson's Burstbucker 1 and 2 are pretty good if you want that brighter, grindier feel of a late 50s-early '60s style PAF, and '57 classics are nice if you like a smoother, warmer, kind of tone. Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are also quite good, and their '59s are alright too if you're on a budget.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 28, 2009,
PAF Joe for neck! I've got it in mine, and it's simply beautiful...my guitar is mahogany too. It'd be great for blues. It sounds like what you're looking for.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge Model- Neck
Dimarzio Air Zone- Bridge

Why? The Air Zone should be a great bridge pup for you because it's got strong mids and bass to keep your bridge sounding fat and warm. It's got a more vintage voicing with enough output to scream but not so much that it would compromise clean sounds.

The PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge has great classic tone and is a good choice for the neck because the output balances pretty well with the Air Zone and it's EQ'd a little fatter (but not so fat that it won't cut) than the 36th Ann. Neck. This will be versatile neck pup that will be great for your jazz and blues tones.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by B. Jammin
Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge Model- Neck
Dimarzio Air Zone- Bridge

Why? The Air Zone should be a great bridge pup for you because it's got strong mids and bass to keep your bridge sounding fat and warm. It's got a more vintage voicing with enough output to scream but not so much that it would compromise clean sounds.

The PAF 36th Anniversary Bridge has great classic tone and is a good choice for the neck because the output balances pretty well with the Air Zone and it's EQ'd a little fatter (but not so fat that it won't cut) than the 36th Ann. Neck. This will be versatile neck pup that will be great for your jazz and blues tones.

This, or the PAF Pro suggestion. Also, the rockmonkey pickups suggestion.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Wow, some good opinions, but so many choices. Leaning hard towards DiMarzio's, and it looks like a lot of DiMarzio suggestions. Hardly any SD.
I really wish they had plug-in pickups so you could swap them out easier. Maybe someone will invent them. With the soldering, it feels semi-permanent. I bet they'd sell more pups, and there'd be some awesome buying and trading.
Hope you're all having a great weekend.

S
Quote by al112987
How much do you have to spend?

I'd get some sort of PAF style pickup. If you have a fair bit of money to spend look at WCR pickups, they have a nice variation of blues and classic rock style pickups, look at the Fillmore set if you want something a little hotter, and the Crossroads if you want a low output pickup, also look at Lollar Imperials, and as mentioned, CorduroyEW winds pickups and makes a few different flavors of PAF style pickups, he gives a 10% discount to UG members. Gibson's Burstbucker 1 and 2 are pretty good if you want that brighter, grindier feel of a late 50s-early '60s style PAF, and '57 classics are nice if you like a smoother, warmer, kind of tone. Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers are also quite good, and their '59s are alright too if you're on a budget.

I think I can do pretty well with DiMarzio's or Seymours. Don't really want to spend on boutiques. I could do Gibson, but it looks like DiMarzio has some great options.
Thanks for the suggestions.

S.
Quote by Slackerprince
I really wish they had plug-in pickups so you could swap them out easier.

Those are called EMGs But you can only swap between other EMGs, I believe.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Slackerprince
I think I can do pretty well with DiMarzio's or Seymours. Don't really want to spend on boutiques. I could do Gibson, but it looks like DiMarzio has some great options.
Thanks for the suggestions.

S.

You can get boutique pickups for the same price as Gibsons. Gibson pickups are nothing special...not bad, but poor value for money as an upgrade when there's other, better options available.

Duncans are the best bet, they tend to make more models that are geared towards more traditional/vintage sounds. A lot of Dimarzios have a bit more of a contemporary edge to the tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com