Hey all

This week i'm FINALLY ordering my http://www.thomann.de/be/fender_stdstrat_fr_hss_rw_bk_2009.htm from Thomann but I'm starting to get a bit worried...

I know you should test a guitar before buying it, but I got my mind set on this particular model and none of the shops in my area got it stock I know I could let them order it for me, but then I figured, if they order it I don't get a chance to test it either so i might aswell order it from Thomann and end up paying less:P

Now my concern is, I was reading around alot and i keep reading about MiM fenders with bad necks etc:S

How big is the chance they end up sending me a fender with a bad neck or something? Or are it only the lower price MiMs you gotta be careful with and is this model a bit more "safe" since it's a more expensive MiM?

Any feedback is greatly apreciated

Edit: To all noticing it hasn't got a locking nut, indeed it hasn't but i found a local luthier that will put one on it for a very reasonable price so that isn't the issue
Last edited by Gego at Mar 28, 2009,
idk.. but your pretty stupid buying a guitar that has a floyd rose but no locking nut.. good luck keeping that in tune
Quote by raoulsanchez
that had no intention of being mean lol

I already asked a local luthier what it'd cost to put a locking nut on it^^ And it seems a reasonable price for it:p
does it have locking tuners? if so, you don't need a locking nut?
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Quote by JBizzle Da Truf
does it have locking tuners? if so, you don't need a locking nut?

Like i said before, I'm getting a luthier to place a locking nut so that isn't an issue at all
You can't pull up on the trem anyway. It's not floating so it probably won't be a problem
Quote by JELIFISH19
You can't pull up on the trem anyway. It's not floating so it probably won't be a problem

It's a floyd tho?
Fenders in general have a nice medium C shaped neck and play pretty well. I've played so many strats it's not funny, and all of them played acceptably. I've also owned two strats and never had any reliability problems with them. I agree that the Floyd probably isn't that great of an idea, but I don't like trems at all, so you probably shouldn't listen to me on that issue.
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups
Fenders are more reliable than Gibson or Epipjone these days so you should be fine. But Thomann have an excellent reputation that they like to preserve, so if there are any issues they will support you.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Fenders are more reliable than Gibson or Epipjone these days so you should be fine. But Thomann have an excellent reputation that they like to preserve, so if there are any issues they will support you.

That was the answer i was hoping for, thanks alot
Quote by JELIFISH19
Strats with floyds are non-recessed

Wouldn't that mean the trem can't move at all?
THomann has a 30 day money-back guarantee as long as the package/guitar is not damage.

just unpack it carefully and send it back if needed
You like it
Quote by RockAddict311
EWWW GROSS OMG NO DONT DO IT FLOYD ROSES EWW!

Floyds for life! xD
Quote by Pac_man0123
Honestly the pic looks shooped so i'd guess that the guitar comes with a locking nut anyways.

Seems to me like they took a picture of an HSS strat and photoshopped a floyd on it and forgot the nut.

Now that's a possibility I hadn't thought of:p Makes sense in a way since the older version did have a locking nut.
It says it's a licensed Floyd Rose. But you still can't pull up on it since the top isn't routed.
Quote by JELIFISH19
It says it's a licensed Floyd Rose. But you still can't pull up on it since the top isn't routed.

Actually, I mailed Thomann about it, they said it's routed
ive seen that guitar on musiciansfriend WITH the locking nut for like 500 bucks...

edit: no locking nut, 600 usd

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=501161

but 600 euros is a lot more expensive than 600 usd
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
Last edited by maiden_mexico at Mar 30, 2009,
Quote by maiden_mexico
ive seen that guitar on musiciansfriend WITH the locking nut for like 500 bucks...

edit: no locking nut, 600 usd

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=501161

but 600 euros is a lot more expensive than 600 usd

The reason it costs that much is the BE tax rate etc and the fact it's a fender All MiM/MiA fenders seem to cost a bit more here in europe.
I don't think there is much risk involved in regards to bad necks. I recently bought a used 2001 MIM strat from a guy in California, and I live on the east coast of Canada. So, literally opposite sides of the continent and completely opposite temperatures as well. My guitar got here safe and sound and the neck is fantastic. I wouldn't worry too much about it, Fender makes great guitars and the Strat neck profile is very comfortable.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
The only thing I'll worry about is the shipping time if you really have to return it to Thomann. Waiting for a something amazing like a new guitar can be really annoying (to me). When I had the money to pay for a new guitar I wanted to get it as soon as possible. So if it arrives and I'll have to send it back it would really bother me because I'll have to wait much longer and probably have to return the guitar a second time. I might want it so badly that I might even NOT send it back if it is just okay, like 8/10 points, not 10/10. And then I might regret this decision later.
So do you live in Germany? Can't you drive to the Thomann Store for like 20 or 30 Euros?
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
Last edited by busa54 at Mar 30, 2009,
Quote by busa54
The only thing I'll worry about is the shipping time if you really have to return it to Thomann. Waiting for a something amazing like a new guitar can be really annoying (to me). When I had the money to pay for a new guitar I wanted to get it as soon as possible. So if it arrives and I'll have to send it back it would really bother me because I'll have to wait much longer and probably have to return the guitar a second time. I might want it so badly that I might even NOT send it back if it is just okay, like 8/10 points, not 10/10. And then I might regret this decision later.
So do you live in Germany? Can't you drive to the Thomann Store for like 20 or 30 Euros?

Unfortunately not:p And i'm patient, if i got a reason at least And quality is a good enough reason for me xD
Alright, I wish you all the best of course. Thomann is advertising with their own quality control, so your new guitar might have a certain quality standard at least.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
Thomann likes to keep their reputation spotless so they'll help you if you need it
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.