Hello readers! My name is Connor and I have been playing guitar for over 5 years. I'm currently 15. The thing is, very recently I started getting uber serious about my playing. I used to just dick around and play the blues scale and some songs and all that. I'm a pretty accomplished rhythm player (I play alot of Death and Megadeth), but my soloing an technique needs some work. Currently, I have a practice schedule that goes along these lines...

10 minutes- A major scale in triplits (1-2-3, 2-3-4, 3-4-5, etc)

10 Minutes- Sweep picking arpeggios

10 minutes- Playing along to a song (Currently, "Symbolic" by Death)

5 Minutes- "Steve Vai Warmup" (in this month's GW)

5 Minutes- Improv

I feel that a measly 40 minutes pales in comparison to my drumming practice (2 hours a day, weekends more). What are some other scales, techniques, etc that I should be practicing or learning? All help is appreciated. Thanks!
Use a metronome for sure. Also try just setting a decent speed and play a few random notes until you get something going. Turn off the click and work it out a slow speed. Turn click back on and speed it up. If you don't use one, it's a must. It's crazy how much it improves your playing in a short period of time.
When practicing my soloing, I generally like to put on a song I am familiar with and jam along. I find that it both helps out my soloing and is fun at the same time!

You also will want to start studying some music theory as well.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by jakehendrixman
Use a metronome for sure. Also try just setting a decent speed and play a few random notes until you get something going. Turn off the click and work it out a slow speed. Turn click back on and speed it up. If you don't use one, it's a must. It's crazy how much it improves your playing in a short period of time.

Yes, I do use a metronome, and that is amazing advice for anyone who doesn't. I will try the noodling thing and actually, thats a great idea considering I forget everything cool I write lol! Thanks man!

*EDIT*

Xeron-
I love playing along to very difficult songs, like the solo in "Symbolic" by Death. Thanks man.
Last edited by Aggressivec at Mar 28, 2009,