hey guys, my one and only bass just got broken beyond repair, so that means that i need a new 1. i have no money, and i am planning to get a job soon. i need suggestions for what to get as a replacement. i mainly play alt rock, like the white stripes, the racountours, muse, beck, and other artists like that. it would be a bonus if it could do stuff like primus and tool, but thats not a nessitty. my amp is a fender rumble 15 for at home, and an swr la 12 180 watt for gigs. i mainly play with a pick, and i do not like jazz basses.
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
hey guys, my one and only bass just got broken beyond repair, so that means that i need a new 1. i have no money, and i am planning to get a job soon. i need suggestions for what to get as a replacement. i mainly play alt rock, like the white stripes, the racountours, muse, beck, and other artists like that. it would be a bonus if it could do stuff like primus and tool, but thats not a nessitty. my amp is a fender rumble 15 for at home, and an swr la 12 180 watt for gigs. i mainly play with a pick, and i do not like jazz basses.

The bass doesnt play it, you do. Ibanez makes solid products; whats your budget?
is your problem with jazzes the feel or the sound?

and price range?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Why no jazz? Cause everyone has one? Who cares? If you don't like the feel, that's a different story. Anyway, I digress. Depending on your budget, a P-bass may be the thing. I play a Schecter stiletto and it does fine for blues, jazz, rock, christian worship, etc. Feels good too.

Edit: I did not mean to say that a Scecter stiletto is the same as a p-bass. And the stiletto goes for around $500 US.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Mar 28, 2009,
i dont know what my budget is, because i dont have any money. i need to know how much to save up to pay for it.

and the reason i dont like the jazz basses is because of the feel. the sound is ok, but its not my favorite
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
i dont know what my budget is, because i dont have any money. i need to know how much to save up to pay for it.

and the reason i dont like the jazz basses is because of the feel. the sound is ok, but its not my favorite

ok. so a thicker neck. Ibanez ATK, P-bass, Fender or Squier VM, maybe a Warwick or Drozd or even a Ritter if you're just gonna save up for a long time.

seriously, how much are you wanting to save?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I dont think he really knows...

Go into your local music shop and play basses until you find one that you like. When you have a general idea of the kind of bass you want then come back and ask us for suggestions.
im thinking of saving up like 400 american dollars. i need a new bass asap, so i can not save 4ever.
my last bass was a p bass, and it played nice, but the sound was mehhh. i want something that plays similar, has simple electronics, but sounds different, but still matches the style of music i play.
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
im thinking of saving up like 400 american dollars. i need a new bass asap, so i can not save 4ever.
my last bass was a p bass, and it played nice, but the sound was mehhh. i want something that plays similar, has simple electronics, but sounds different, but still matches the style of music i play.

What didnt you like about the tone? "mehhh" is extremely generic. What do you mean by simple electronics?

Specify what you want so that we can help.
Last edited by grifff at Mar 28, 2009,
i dont need a new amp, i need a new bass. the tone was just not meaty enough, if u know what i mean. i like lots of treble, but the p bass was too midrangy. i did like only having 1 volume and 1 tone knob, because i get so confused with active basses
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
i dont need a new amp, i need a new bass. the tone was just not meaty enough, if u know what i mean. i like lots of treble, but the p bass was too midrangy. i did like only having 1 volume and 1 tone knob, because i get so confused with active basses

Use this list:

1 carl thompson 4 string fretted with passive pj pickups.
2. fender precison
3. fender jazz
4. any wal bass
5. a modulous flea bass
6. 5 string musicman in purple
7. early 60s telecaster bass
8. gibson thunderbird.
9. gibson ripper
10. rickenbacker 4001
ahhhhhhh i totally forgot about that. that was a long time ago. i cant afford any of those, except cheap knock offs
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
ahhhhhhh i totally forgot about that. that was a long time ago. i cant afford any of those, except cheap knock offs

What do you mean by cheap? My Squire J bass played better than any Fender MIM that I have ever played. I set it up properly and had no problems with it.

I suggest going into a shop and playing basses in your range.
Quote by primusclaypool1

ATK. yeah, 4 knobs, but it is quite simple, if you look at the Ibanez website it explains it, it'll be a 3 band EQ, exactly like a P-bass if you leave the bass and mid on full all the time.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i just was talking to a friend, and she is giving me her 1977 p bass for free, so i guess i dont need a bass anymore
Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by primusclaypool1
i just was talking to a friend, and she is giving me her 1977 p bass for free, so i guess i dont need a bass anymore

oh dang. that'll certainly work.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

is 1977 a good year for the p bass???
Quote by BobDetroit
That's still within the CBS era of Fender. The instruments in that era aren't as good as the vintage and post-CBS era. But god for free, I wouldn't complain--that's a generous gift.
Quote by anarkee
That's still within the CBS era of Fender. The instruments in that era aren't as good as the vintage and post-CBS era. But god for free, I wouldn't complain--that's a generous gift.

I would put it on par with an MIM P.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard