...but I just went to a music store today

They had a garage-sale type-thing going on, which I had somewhat high expectations in, since, well, used gear is usually the best (and cheapest) and I was hoping to find some nice things there. BUT, as the weather was crappy, the garage-sale was crappy, who would've thought...

Anyway, I just went inside the store then (yes, VERY frustrated), found a salesman (who seemed to be kind of stressed) who unlocked the holy vault of Boutique Effects That way, hendriko tried a
Fulltone OCD: I spent quite a bit of time with this, playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe (nice amp, didn't spend much time on that though). This thing, first of all, is awesome in real life - the Proguitarshop demo, while being good and somewhat helpful, sounds nothing like it. I expected a muddy, dark sounding overdrive with too much gain, but got what I thought to be one of the best Classic Rock overdrives one could have. Nice and clear, not too much gain, even cranked it could very well be used and controlled. When Mike Fuller says it sounds like a cranked AC15, he's pretty much right - very harmonic, transparent (to an extent), great to clear-up overdrive. I prefered the HP mode on this, giving me a clearer sound, but the LP was not bad, just different (tighter, as Gabe would say...). Would have been mine if it wasn't for the 169€ price-tag, which I just didn't have with me. I'm probably gonna get one when I'm over in the states - a blem version from Fulltone
Oh, you're probably wondering: I told you what amp I played the OCD through, but I left out the guitar - on purpose. It was a
Gibson Historic Collection R9: Well, where to start - it just felt nice. If you don't like long texts, stop here, this is what it will come down to in the end. It was painted wonderfully, the neck was fat but not too fat (it did have a crazy little hump on the back though ), set up nicely - great. To be completely honest, I didn't feel the 4000€ it cost more than my Epi were justified though. It was nice however. Then I plugged it in, hit a few chords and SURPRISE: My Epi with its rockmonkey pickups didn't need to hide in shame - it sounded just as open, clear, but aggressive when playing through a crunchy amp as the Gibson. I'm completely honest (well, as honest as I can). All in all, the Gibson is an awesome guitar, the only Gibson I'd ever buy, but it wasn't 4000€-better than my Epiphone. Didn't buy that one either...
Next up, I played a couple of Vintage guitars (the brand!) like the Pete Townshend Signature as I like to call it (V100WR) and some reliced ones (which looked like the machine that reliced them...) which all played nice, but the tunig stability wasn't there. Oh, I also tried a PRS Santana model which was cool. I didn't focus on the Guitars though, I was there for amps
Marshall 2203 JCM800 Super Lead: Yeah, baby, yeah. I subconciously was hoping for one of those so I was happy to try it! On the Lo Input I wasn't able to get anything more but a light crunch until the moment I cranked it up that far that the sound literally blew me away (pre-amp vol about 3 o'clock, master continually turned upwards) so at first I was all like "What the hell, is this a Marshall or what!?". Then I discovered the Hi input - there we had the awesome Marshall crunch/overdrive that we all are dreaming of. Sweet amp, but since it was an old one, it was kinda broken and sounded like there was a broken Reverb spring in there - strangely, the amp doesn't even have reverb. To not get the damage put on my shoulders, I stopped playing pretty soon. The amp was sold about an hour after I played it
Vox Handwired AC30: Did you seriously expect me to go to a music store without once trying an Ac30? Didn't think so. This amp ****ing rocks, lemme say that. The "first channel" or EF86 channel was pretty crunchy and sustainy - I prefered the Triode sound though, very middy and just cool to play along with. The Top Boost channel was what you'd expect a good Ac30 to sound like: chimey, musical, crunchy, AWESOME! Played around with the Controls a bit, got pretty close to Brian May (can't play any Queen though...), got a nice middy solo sustain tone, got the classic vox crunch, went back to EF86, cranked that one - well, let me say, this amp is killer. If it wasn't for the EF86 and TopBoost combined, it wouldn't be worth the price over the CC though - those sound awesome too! Another taker, if I had had the dough.
Bogner Alchemist Head: Running out of words here, but all in all this amp was the nicest (as in easiest to play on) amp I played today. It stayed clean pretty far up the Volume control, the 20w/40w switch is awesome, and with a flick of a mini-switch you're in crunch territory on the same channel, which even can be boosted to get a bit more out of there, too. Sounded pretty American as you'd expect by looking at the tubes, but it got a nice Rock'n'Roll going on, too. Then, as you switched the channels, you immediately got a huge jump in gain BUT it stayed controllable, didn't feedback (I was sitting directly in front of the amp) and it wasn't too much. It got up to Randy Rhoads, I'd say - Crazy Train sounded good. The delay and reverb (though digital) were pretty cool to have to, and you could set them up nicely even though there were only 3 knobs in total for those 2.
Marshall 18w with Tremolo: Forgot this little guy here. AWESOME tonal experience, anyone who hasn't tried one, do so! It got a good crunch going on even at lower volumes which was completely Marshall! Plus, the Normal channel cranked up wasn't too loud to not play sitting next to it anymore, it just got that insanely great distortion going on All in all, it was a tad bit boomey in the Bass though, and whenever I turned the tone knob up to get rid of that, it got too naggy in the highs...The tremolo channel was pretty nice to, very organic, vibey tremolo, fun to play around with and sounding good even distorted = channel turned up. It sucks that you can't turn it completely off though...Nice amp, definitely - can't comment on the price though, didn't see one.
Fender Deluxe Reverb: Totally ran right past this little guy on the way in until I heard and met an old player who I talked to for a while about new/old Fenders, PCB and handwired, Blues and all that stuff, awesome dude! He could play that little dude though! Gibson Custom Hollowbody and he got a great warm blues sound which could break up with the turn of a knob. The Santana wasn't for this amp though, I couldn't get those nice tones - mind, I only had little time then since my ma wanted to leave...The Insane Tremolo/Reverb combinations were fun though. I'd buy one of these based on the dude playing it

They didn't have the Ac4 in yet
Yeah, I hope I didn't forget anything.
My valuable insight of the day was, though: I'm not gonna buy a big amp anytime soon. While being very nice, I cba fiddling about with those many knobs right now...my champ's much nicer. I have to say however, my discovery of the day AND big contender for amp of the year was the Bogner though.

Hope you enjoyed

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Last edited by hendriko at Mar 28, 2009,
uhh wat

..is with the title?

currently reading retardedly long op.

EDIT: ok, i finally understand the title ahahahah, currently reading sweet reviews.

EDIT2: finally done ha. nice thread, i'd definitely like to try out one of those little marshalls for myself.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 28, 2009,
Great review.

How much did the JCM800 go for?

I recently played an AC30 again and I agree it was like butter.

I had a similar take on the Bogner Alchemist. I didn't care for the looks of the controls but the sound was great and the built in effects seem to work well. I didn't mess with the 20w position too much but it's a great amp at the 20w-40w range. I played the combo to and was equally impressed.

Can't wait to try the AC4.

Sweet man!

Yeah the HP and LP on the OCD does differ a whole lot. I tend to use the LP on British amp, because the HP can get a bit too agressive, but on Fenders the HP works wonders.

Was the 2203 a vertical or horisontal input?

I agree on the R9 by the way: They aren't that awesome and the pickups could be better really.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by tona_107
uhh wat

..is with the title?

currently reading retardedly long op.

EDIT: ok, i finally understand the title ahahahah, currently reading sweet reviews.

YES, I was hoping for something along these lines

^yeah, the Guitar was pretty nice altogether, but nothing overly spectacular
IIRC correctly it was a horizontal one, but I might be mistaken - i'll clarify with my bro when he's up tomorrow!

^^definitely!
I have no clue for how much it went, there was no price tag on there and the bloke that bought it wouldn't tell me...they had a JCM900 SL-X there though which went for 700 (head!)

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Last edited by hendriko at Mar 28, 2009,
thank GOD the title isn't the actual subject and that you didn't put something on "my supersweet sixteen" in this forum! WHEW!
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
tbh I was hoping for something about My SuperSweetSixteen :\
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
^

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Nice reviews dude.

But I've still played an AC4 and you haven't...if your GAS gets too bad, you can fly over here and give the one at Music Planet a whirl. You can sleep on my floor - there's enough room.

I'll read them properly when I feel a bit more awake.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
^alright, sounds cool

nah, its not too bad right now - i actually have less GAS now
I just want an OCD, which is alright, i guess

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^it did have a lot of gain, but it wasn't too much. As Gabe says, he uses it on LP mode to tighten up his amp/gain a bit, so I'd say yes - make sure to try it through your Bogner though!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^it did have a lot of gain, but it wasn't too much. As Gabe says, he uses it on LP mode to tighten up his amp/gain a bit, so I'd say yes - make sure to try it through your Bogner though!

The only problem is that the only guitar stores around me are Guitar Centers, which now carry Fulltone products.

Except the OCD, of course.

So I am really going to have to rely on word of mouth (or in this case, word of... type?) on a good OD pedal. I know that I am not going for a TS808/TS9, since my Jekyll and Hyde OD chip is based on those. Too noisy for my tastes.
hmm, they can't order one?
Order it from somewhere else with a good return policy then

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
hmm, they can't order one?
Order it from somewhere else with a good return policy then

I didn't think so, especially since it isn't listed on their website.
yeah, i just say that too, seems strange if you ask me

ah well, option #2 is always available

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
yeah, i just say that too, seems strange if you ask me

ah well, option #2 is always available

Maybe the OCD is too good for GC pedals (which, for the most part, suck)*

Option 2 is becoming more likely. Have you ever tried the Catalinbread SCOD?

* before GC received Fulltone pedals, that is.
nah, sorry - there's no shop (i have found) that carries the "real" boutique/rare stuff - not fulltone or zvex or Xotic or the like - which isn't from Germany around here

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
nah, sorry - there's no shop (i have found) that carries the "real" boutique/rare stuff - not fulltone or zvex or Xotic or the like - which isn't from Germany around here

Damn Germany.

Thanks for the input, though.
Nice spam.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
excellent spam

i don't think i've tried any of those...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ ^^ !

^that's what this thread is for then, informing you about gear you haven't tried

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

People like Dave don't believe it until they hear it for themselves, though.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
isn't that the best way though?

i wouldn't buy anything i haven't heard before

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

The only thing I've ever bought blind was my wah pedal, and I couldn't be happier with that decision.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
im not a fan of the DRRI at all, but im loving this great spam thread!!!
ive been wanting an OCD to play through my Bassman.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
People like Dave don't believe it until they hear it for themselves, though.

i meant that's why i wasn't making any comments about the gear which was mentioned, which i normally do. didn't want you guys to think i was being rude

i've bought a ton of stuff blind. the vast majority of it has been great. obviously in a perfect world i'd prefer to try it first, but i'd rather buy something blind which i suspect will be great (based on reviews by people i trust, plus a little educated guesswork based on the specs etc.), rather than buy something which i can try first, but which i've determined to be mediocre (or worse)...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ true beans

^definitely, i was surprised to find that much good stuff there

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
^^ true beans

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Oh man, I've played so much high end stuff in the last couple of months that just wasn't for me that I'm totally paranoid about buying online now. Basically, I plug this really fancy guitar into this even fancier amp, strum a chord and think "yeah, whatever". I don't know, maybe I'm just too picky.
^same here, tbh, i don't even want a new amp right now

screw being picky, but it saves you money

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame