Well I've just been asked to play my guitar infront of my entire year at school. I ain't worried about doing it, I'm only self concious talking to girls and singing...neither of which I'll be doing...

So what are some good songs that aren't that hard.

My level is (not including solos)

Like Light to the Flies
Unholy Confessions
Chapter Four - with solo
Master of Puppets (still kinda sloppy)
Canon Rock

That kinda stuff. I've mainly been focussing on rhythm playing, nearly entirely on the deepest 3 strings, so I don't really have good lead/solo playing.
So yeah, any good songs? I could probably learn some more lead style stuff if it would be good.
I'll be playing on my own, so take that into account .

Thanks very much.

Secondly:

Are there any good solos to learn that'll be a challenge but not impossible, and improve my skill...I currently only know chapter four, the tapping part of one, fallen leaves and the double tapping part of crazy train.

Also any good exercise routines, I'm currently just doing chromatics starting on the 20th fret of the low E string.

Cheers

NL
play a medley, but do it well, and string them together nicely. pick a key, and find songs that fit in it. then find a tempo that works ok for all the songs, and work on the transition from song to song.

for the second part, i suggest learning some of the newer trivium solos. if they are too hard, learn the older ones, they are much easier
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
if you can play all of canon rock, and get a backing track, with orchestral parts, drums bass etc, i bet that would be awesome.

but only if you can either play it all the way through perfect, or, guessing that from your location (Chavland....lol), they wont know it, so take the best, most exciting parts from it, and make your own interpretation of it.
Quote by guitarsftw
play a medley, but do it well, and string them together nicely. pick a key, and find songs that fit in it. then find a tempo that works ok for all the songs, and work on the transition from song to song.

for the second part, i suggest learning some of the newer trivium solos. if they are too hard, learn the older ones, they are much easier

Yeah, I'll try finishing off Light to Flies by learning the solo, cheers for that.

And I might try and think of a good medley.

Also, glasgow kiss sounds awesome, may just try that, cheers

EDIT: I'm learning glasgow kiss anyway now, would be (a) awesome practice, (b) sound awesome, (c) mean I finally learn something from the current prog metal phase I'm in (opeth and dream theater)
Last edited by NinjaLamppost at Mar 28, 2009,
I'm playing the Godfather theme by Slash for a talent show, which I hope I will impress with. If you can play Canon Rock, you can play this (I can but I don't because I hate Canon in D).
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Classical stuff. Canon Rock is good.

I played Toccata in D Minor by J.S. Bach in front of my school.
Marty Friedman - Valley of Eternity
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Hangar 18, Surfing with the Alien, For the Love of God, Cliffs of Dover and Eruption will impress a lot of people and they are challenging.
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
Hangar 18, Surfing with the Alien, For the Love of God, Cliffs of Dover and Eruption will impress a lot of people and they are challenging.

And sadly far above what I'd feel confident playing :S

Pretty sure I'm going to go for glasgow kiss, but I'll mix it up a bit to keep the length down and put parts of the solo in.

I mean obviously I'll have to talk to my teacher about it...but hopefully it should work.
Free Bird will impress. There's only 2 real criteria for impressing girls, you have to make it look like you have fast fingers (you can play an easy song like Crazy Train, the solo's easy but the fills and solos make you have to move your fingers a little fast) or a really well known song like Free Bird or Stairway.

To be honest, I'd really recommend Crazy Train. It's easy to learn and really impresses non-guitarists.
Hmm I was considering crazy train...not sure I could play it fine standing up though once i get to the fills...and also the verse bit sounds so boring with just that riff repeated endless times without vocals...

Thanks for all the replies by the way
Glasgow Kiss.

pull it off and you'll be a GOD at your school.
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Wonderful slippery thing - Guthrie Govan

Not too hard if you skip both of the slippery licks, and if you have time to get the rhythm down, how long until you have to play.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Wonderful slippery thing - Guthrie Govan

Not too hard if you skip both of the slippery licks, and if you have time to get the rhythm down, how long until you have to play.

I'm hoping I won't have to play till after the easter holidays (Which would mean about 3 weeks till I have to play), but there's a very small chance I'll have to play in 4 days :S
Quote by NinjaLamppost
I'm hoping I won't have to play till after the easter holidays (Which would mean about 3 weeks till I have to play), but there's a very small chance I'll have to play in 4 days :S

You won't be able to pull of glassgow kiss in 4 days...
I recommend two songs:
1. Black Dog-Led Zepellen: Because its easy, everybody loves zepellen, and fun to play
2. Blood and Thunder-mastodon: Only if your school is a crazy metal-head school (which i really doubt lol), but if it is MIRACULOUSLY a metal head school, play this song because IMO at your level it will be easy but easily impress people.

So if you haven't caught on yet, Black Dog lol
Quote by Killedelphia19
You won't be able to pull of glassgow kiss in 4 days...

Yeah that's what I'm worried about :P.

Hopefully 2 weeks of easter holidays will be enough though...I'll try and talk my teacher into making sure I ain't playin till after easter.

And my school is probably the least metal school ever. Everyone's into hip-hop or pop, the emo crowd are into system of a down, slipknot and nickelback...I have one friend that has a couple of trivium songs on his ipod but that's it.

Oh well.
Quote by Invert-blu
I recommend two songs:
1. Black Dog-Led Zepellen: Because its easy, everybody loves zepellen, and fun to play
2. Blood and Thunder-mastodon: Only if your school is a crazy metal-head school (which i really doubt lol), but if it is MIRACULOUSLY a metal head school, play this song because IMO at your level it will be easy but easily impress people.

So if you haven't caught on yet, Black Dog lol

You have to get the screaming part right in order for you to play it effectively!

WHITE!

WHALE!

HOLY!

GRAIL!
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Wouldn't it be easier and possibly more entertaining for the audience if you found some other musicians to play with and performed a song such as Tenacious D - Wonderboy, which would be quite crowd-pleasing and also has an impressive-sounding solo in it? That way, the interest factor would be maintained, you receive your moment in the spotlight and you won't have to focus on hitting every note perfectly in some widdly 5 minute guitar solo.
Play some AC/DC, how can you not like AC/DC?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you go into something trying to impress someone, chances are, your gonna make a fool of yourself. It's always easier to just be yourself, and the results always turn out better too...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
If you go into something trying to impress someone, chances are, your gonna make a fool of yourself. It's always easier to just be yourself, and the results always turn out better too...

Best point made all night.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by schecter ftw
If I were you, I'd just get a full band and play some *insert mainstream band here*.

Yup, this is what I'd do. Even though it's easy, it's fun to play. Plus, you really wouldn't have to worry about lead parts as such.

Plus, since the people in your school all listen to other stuff, this would work more than playing some weird metal song that people just won't like and won't wow them. Something like Don't Look Back In Anger by Oasis would be decent I think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero