As I walked into a bourgeoisie Guitar Center, I took a look at the highly coveted Platinum Room, where people can spend ridiculous amounts of money on guitars that look old. However, in the corner of the room, I spied the holy grail of high gain amps, the be all end all of modern amp technology-

a Diezel Einstein.

Okay, so maybe it isn't the be all end all (that would be the Diezel VH4, I assume), but I was excited to try it nonetheless. I plug in a PRS Custom 24 and prepare myself for a tonal orgasm. I get my adult Pampers ready, just in case I wet myself.

It never came.

I found the distortion to be brittle and noisy, and the cleans too "ice-picky". It was good in the big picture, but I felt let down. Here was the Diezel Einstein, an amp that supposedly screamed "boutique quality" when I felt it only whispered it. It was coldly-voiced (I guess I just love American/British warmth) compared to a Mesa Stiletto that I tried outside the soundproof walls of the Platinum Room.

Does anyone feel the same way? It cost around $3100, which I felt was way too much for the quality.
What cab were you playing it through?

I loved my Einstein, but it responds very differently to cabs and guitars, I mean VERY differently.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
@TS
did you spend some time EQing it???
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by BeethovensBust
I spied the holy grail of high gain amps, the be all end all of modern amp technology-

High gain = Not for clean use.

Well idk exactly, I don't play guitar.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
@TS
did you spend some time EQing it???

Not as much as I would have liked to, I suppose. It felt very trebly all the time (which I guess some like for metal; I'm more of a mids guy myself) The cab was a Diezel 4x12, not sure what speakers though. If I had to guess, probably Celestion Vintage 30s or something of that nature.
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
High gain = Not for clean use.

Well idk exactly, I don't play guitar.

I would guess not, with your username and all.

I was trying it out for high gain purposes. And if you are paying $3100 for an amp, it better not be a one trick pony. My Bogner Duende pushed out better cleans than the Diezel, but cleans aren't really what Diezel is known for, right?
those amps sound better at high volume they do sound liek **** below 3 on the volume
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw
those amps sound better at high volume they do sound liek **** below 3 on the volume

I think it was the 100 watt head, because when I tried pushing it past 3 my ears would have sooner started to bleed than the time it would take for me not to buy an MG.
Harvester has a point. If it's tube, it's quality is optimal when cranked up.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw

they do NOT!!!!!

Diezels can sound good on low volumes(1-3) and it is a 100w head, which means it can make you deaf if you put the volume past 5
feel free to add me
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
Harvester has a point. If it's tube, it's quality is optimal when cranked up.

In my experience, tube amps sound better when cranked, true.
But they don't change a whole lot of central tonal qualities. It would not sound a whole lot different when cranked, I presume.
1. features + german importation tax makes up a lot of the price
2. mess around with the settings MOAR
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
CLIFF_BURTON, my Soldano Decatone had cleans that would rival any Fender, and high gain tones that would rival, well, anything at all. My Mesa has an excellent high gain tone and some mind-blowing cleans. So saying that high gain amps lack decent clean tones is kind of misleading.

I actually liked the Einstein a lot more than I liked the Soldano I had once I got the Einstein properly figured out (for reference sake I've never owned an Einstein, but did get to spend a couple of weeks with one while a friend was on vacation, it was the 50 watt model). MatrixClaw has an excellent point in noting how picky they are though. I much preferred the Einstein with an open back 2x12 over a closed back 4x12. In addition I couldn't get a high gain tone that I liked out of it with my EC-256 or any of the various Les Pauls and Teles that my roommate has hanging on the studio wall, but I have a frankenstein guitar I put together with BKP Nailbombs that sounded amazing through it. I'm guessing it's really sensitive to pickup output as well.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
1. features + german importation tax makes up a lot of the price
2. mess around with the settings MOAR

Isn't there going to be a US branch of Diezel soon? In that case, would the prices go down at all?
Randall MTS Series, get a custom Diezel module from Salvation Mods in Czech and a stock Blackface module :P

You can get enough high quality tubes and some shiny new Mercury Magnetic transformers to bring the price up close to the Diezel, and you'll probably get your ideal tones and be able to swap them out for more if you'd like
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
im not saying it doesent sound good at low volume im just saying it will sound better louder
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I know youtube quality isnt the greatest, BUT, I have listened to every Diezel model, VH4, VH4S, Einstein and the Herbert only to find them to sound like over-priced fizz boxes. I believe I had only one tonal nirvana while listening to one of the 10+ videos I watched. Sorry if I offended anyone. I personally don't dig them. Certainly not calling them bad, maybe overpriced.

For high gain I much prefer:
Soldano
Fryette
Splawn
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by Butters8754
I know youtube quality isnt the greatest, BUT, I have listened to every Diezel model, VH4, VH4S, Einstein and the Herbert only to find them to sound like over-priced fizz boxes. I believe I had only one tonal nirvana while listening to one of the 10+ videos I watched. Sorry if I offended anyone. I personally don't dig them. Certainly not calling them bad, maybe overpriced.

For high gain I much prefer:
Soldano
Fryette
Splawn

Exactly. I felt it a bit too fizzy for my tastes.
consider yourself lucky then, you can cross off a $4k amp from the "must have" list. They aren't going to be tonal nirvana for everyone, everyone has different tastes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Harvesterofsrrw

no they dont. the VH4 was one of the best amps i ever heard with the master volume barely cracked to 0.5/10
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
no they dont. the VH4 was one of the best amps i ever heard with the master volume barely cracked to 0.5/10

yeah, definitely different tastes. I thought the Herbert had one of the best master vols I've used on a big amp. The tones to me are pretty ridiculously good at low vols.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, definitely different tastes. I thought the Herbert had one of the best master vols I've used on a big amp. The tones to me are pretty ridiculously good at low vols.

agreed...especially considering that beast is 180W o_O
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
agreed...especially considering that beast is 180W o_O

yeah, pretty ridiculous wattage with the 6x EL34. You can also load it with all KT88/6550 or any combination of tubes, so I imagine that would bump up the power rating too.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
consider yourself lucky then, you can cross off a $4k amp from the "must have" list. They aren't going to be tonal nirvana for everyone, everyone has different tastes.

Too bad there are much more on that list.
Quote by BeethovensBust
Too bad there are much more on that list.

haha, I hear that. I really didn't want to like the Diezel to be honest, they are so pricey in the states. I'm friends with a dealer, and he sent me one to mess around with. I had to have one after playing thru it, should have never tried it, he knew what he was doing.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
haha, I hear that. I really didn't want to like the Diezel to be honest, they are so pricey in the states. I'm friends with a dealer, and he sent me one to mess around with. I had to have one after playing thru it, should have never tried it, he knew what he was doing.

I've accepted my demise. I'm dropping 4.5k on a Herbert this summer ;_;. I feel like i'm on death row.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
BKP Warpig pickups
To be quite frank, I thought the VH4 sounded a little meh with the volume under 3. Didn't have the chance to try the Herbert though.
Well... different tastes I guess...
I've never heard a Diezel sound less than pretty ****ing awesome other than having both volumes as low as they would go before any saturation at all.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I COMPLETLEY agree. I tried an Einstein last month and I wasn't blown away in the slightest.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
the Einstine was meh
the VH4 was good
the Herbert was the best but i havent get to crankit past 4
feel free to add me