What hardcore bands influenced the New York death metal scene?

Page 1 of 2
What hardcore bands influenced the sound (especially those breakdowns or slams) in the New York death metal bands? Bands like: Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Pyrexia, Internal Bleeding, etc...
Quote by Magero
Track it back through the Thrash metal scene and to the punk and hardcore bands that inspired them.

+1 for back-tracking through thrash's glory days! thats where its at for learning were hardcore met metal
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Last edited by guitarsftw at Mar 28, 2009,
I still don't get it...
how can people call some kind of metal ''hardcore''?
Hardcore was punk dudes!
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
I still don't get it...
how can people call some kind of metal ''hardcore''?
Hardcore was punk dudes!

yeah it was, and it got fused with metal during the 80s in various ways, and created REAL metalcore, but when the eyeliner and black-tight-pants guys took the metalcore tag, real metalcore became known as hardcore
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by Psychopathology
Learn what hardcore is...

Edit: I could say the same to the TS.

I know what it is.

I was saying that because he asked about it in here.
Considering people actually listen to death metal in here, I'd say this would be the place to ask. Anyway, it would differ from band to band, but a few bands Suffocation were influenced by were Cro-mags, Minor Threat, Carnivore, and D.R.I.
Quote by Butt Rayge
I know what it is.

I was saying that because he asked about it in here.

But he's asking for metal bands?
Quote by Cianyx
But he's asking for metal bands?

He's' asking for hardcore punk bands that influenced death metal bands.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Cro-Mags are a big one. Thrashcore and crossover thrash in general tended to be a big influence on NYDM. Mostly look at NYHC and other early 'beatdown' hardcore/moshcore.

Cro-Mags
DRI
Earth Crisis
Biohazard
Sick of it All
Judge
Integrity
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by unfathomable_bo
You are indeed mistaken, Dying Fetus are influenced by straight up gangsta' rap

/Teal'c voice

Indeed.

I love Teal'c
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Take This Life
Satan

Freedom.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
Freedom.

*Sips wine*
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by CTFOD
*Sips wine*

*awkward silence*
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
*awkward silence*

*Slowly takes a bite of banana*
I've been listening to some of those hardcore bands, but I don't see those kind of breakdowns and slams I hear Suffocation and Dying Fetus use?
That's cause those breakdowns CAME from Suffocation and Dying Fetus.
It's ironic how all the metal kids stand their screaming "FUCK CORE AND IT'S STUPID BREAKDOWNS!" when real hardcore has barely any breakdowns and "tr00" metal has shitloads.
I was just curious because I wonder where Suffocation/Dying Fetus and similar bands got their ideas of creating those breakdowns/slams because I keep hearing that its from hardcore bands but barely any of the hardore bands used them?
Last edited by swordsman14 at Mar 31, 2009,
Quote by Magero
It's ironic how all the metal kids stand their screaming "FUCK CORE AND IT'S STUPID BREAKDOWNS!" when real hardcore has barely any breakdowns and "tr00" metal has shitloads.

To be fair, that's only the really stupid ones.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Magero

Exactly. And the original usage of breakdown wasn't even close to chugging.
Ok, so I keep on hearing that Suffocation and Dying Getus get a lot of their influences from hardcore bands, but which ones though? Because when I hear all those slams/breakdowns in their songs, I hear other people say it was from hardcore and not so much of metal?
Hardcore music has gone a long way compared to modern sounding Hardcore. First it was actually punk (I.E. Minor Threat), then it was about being a br00tal fighter (I.E. Throwdown), and now happy hardcore (I.E. scene kids)? Teh fk?
Minor Threat to Throwdown to happy hardcore?

You really don't have a clue what happy hardcore is.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Hardcore music has gone a long way compared to modern sounding Hardcore. First it was actually punk (I.E. Minor Threat), then it was about being a br00tal fighter (I.E. Throwdown), and now happy hardcore (I.E. scene kids)? Teh fk?

What are you *head explodes*

EDIT: So is this guy trying to piss of metalheads, corefans, and ravers?
Last edited by piratemetalhead at Apr 11, 2009,
Quote by eazy-c
Minor Threat to Throwdown to happy hardcore?

You really don't have a clue what happy hardcore is.

Do I want to know? I can figure it's a bunch of pseudosexual boys (gender questionable, really) running around in female jeans with long straightened hair covering their eyes, spinning their arms in circular motions.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Do I want to know? I can figure it's a bunch of pseudosexual boys (gender questionable, really) running around in female jeans with long straightened hair covering their eyes, spinning their arms in circular motions.

Because you're ignorant, right?
Happy Hardcore is dreadful rave that my little sister seem to take pleasure in blasting out whenever I have to visit the family.

So you're plainly well off the mark there, akin to a darts player whos just had his drink spiked.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Page 1 of 2