hello im looking into bass amps ( price range 300-400 ) nothing over.

i stumbled upon the acoustic b200 ($350) and also the b200 head + b115 cab package ($400)

Is this a good bass amp? any suggestions?

Would you suggest the b200, the package, or the b200 head + a differant cab.

Your thoughts?

Im thinking about getting the combo, and if i ever needed more power, getting the b415 cab or something.
Last edited by sno cone at Mar 28, 2009,
Do you want to hear your highs? If so, get a 410 instead of a 115.
However, I can shake the hell out of a 115; my low end is extremely defined, nothing a 10 inch speaker could do (at least, not four of them; perhaps eight can).

I'd say just go for the combo, but I'm not you. With the head and cab separate, you could end up selling one if you found something else (say a half stack with a 410, you could sell your Acoustic head and keep the cab (or whatever, just an example)).

That is a good price for it, I'm jealous, I paid a hundred more or so
(is it used or new? How much used?)

Comments on Acoustic amps? Reglue the metal on the knobs, they will fall off (all of them). With the 115, you need to give a lot of go for the highs to get clear. I don't really like rolling my tone knob, but I found a nice balance between EQing in the 800, 2k, and 5k; and keeping my tone knob in a reasonable position. The knotch is really nice, I think it defines more of the tone than most of the EQ does.

Cheers!
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I think im gonna go for the Combo, it says its able to be hooked upto another cab, so if i ever needed to be louder i could run a comb+cab

its $350 new.

How does it sound though? Good at what styles? bad at what?
Not good at genres dominated by Ampeg (well, if 'good' means typical). It isn't an Ampeg and won't sound like one (or much of those tube amps; this is a solid state, after all). I think it sounds great for metal with a clear bass. I like the tone I can dial in for some post rock too. The midrange is your friend with this, genres where mids are cut might not be the best. I think they sound pretty nice for jazz, but the highs just aren't clear enough (stupid harmonics parts. I have to reEQ for them to sound really nice).

I think it sounds good for anything, but then again, I don't like the tube amp sound and think that most of the bands I listen to have horrible bass tone. I like nice and clean with a hint of mids.

Over all, a lot of people might think that (the 115 at least) is somewhat dull. If you EQ wrong, which was hard with 6-band at first, you could sound like a muffled glove or something. (OK, my guilty pleasure, I like sounding like a muffled glove. However, in my right mind, I do not EQ like that; people would get upset and wonder what the mumbling sound going "dumm dumdum.")
Now say his name.....
good amp, pretty clear if you do it right, but, I haven't had the problems lord of the food has had.

probably get worse when your strings go dead.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
okay, im gonna purchase the combo, unless someone convinces me to buy the head/cab
Yeah, though I did get some nice shiny Rotos a bit ago, they helped heaps. Most of my problems were most likely due to dead strings and bad EQing, though I still think they stand. (Perhaps my bass is something to consider too?)

It is clear, yes, a nice clear tone if you use it correctly!

Yeah, I agree on the combo; there isn't much reason to buy it as a half stack.

another good thing about the 115 is that it replicates low notes well. I can't quite get that G# (two and a half steps down from B1(?)) (I think a string/pup problem... hehe?), but I can for sure get A's and A#'s to sound pretty nice.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Mar 28, 2009,
yeah dude, you need a new bass.

raise 1600 dollars, buy a Squier VM, then buy me a Warwick ash.

to sno cone- good, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I'll buy my own Wick thank you very much. I'm a poor college kid, I can't afford anything else

(plus my mum would kill me, despite that it is my money. I can buy pedals because she has no idea I'm buying them; if I come home from school with a new bass, she'll know (she pays attention, plus mine has a sticker, bad move I suppose.))
Now say his name.....
I love mine, great amp. I have some videos here.

I have two bass videos.

EDIT: The camera doesn't show off the tone as well as I'd like.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by BladeSlinger
I love mine, great amp. I have some videos here.

I have two bass videos.

EDIT: The camera doesn't show off the tone as well as I'd like.

did you buy the combo or a head+cab?
Im thinking about buying the same amp, and was amazed that this thread asked the same exact questions I was going to ask.

The only thing I cannot decide on is combo or stack?
Quote by DeadMeadow
Im thinking about buying the same amp, and was amazed that this thread asked the same exact questions I was going to ask.

The only thing I cannot decide on is combo or stack?

combo, much better for less, just different about portability.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by due 07
Well, evryone at TB absolutely LOVES the b200 head

I like that too. I just feel you get more bang for your buck running the combo.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I just got a B100 a couple weeks ago and I absoluetly LOVE it. I think the only differences between the B200 and B100 is that the B200 has a horn and is, obviously, 200W instead of 100W. But my B100 cranks out the bass and midrange very well, not so much the treble, but I don't like alot of treble anyway. It can also get PLENTY loud. I play a MIM P-Bass and I love my setup. Love it to death.

Another thing you could check out are some of the cheaper Ashdown amps. I've never tried any of them myself, but I've heard good things.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees