I was playing a gig last night with the EUB, through a Trace Elliot (Didn't catch the model or Wattage, I was too busy trying to turn the bloody thing on.)
It seemed to react very badly with the piezo pickup, as every time I tapped the body or moved it around an awful clank would come clear as day through the amp.
Now I like to slap-mute my strings, and I actually just couldn't do it because it was coming through so loud. The general tone of the strings was a clanky, muddy as hell sound. Not good at all.

Now I have used the EUB with two different amps live, both ashdown (4x10 and 1x15) and they both sounded beautiful, and I've never had a problem using it before now.

Any ideas why?
Or more of a general question to those that own them, what do you play it through?
In general, most amps handle uprights pretty poorly. Unless you have a amp specially designed for using an upright, like an SWR Natural Blonde or Markbass AC 601, you prolly better off running it direct through the PA if possible.
Quote by Captain Insano
In general, most amps handle uprights pretty poorly. Unless you have a amp specially designed for using an upright, like an SWR Natural Blonde or Markbass AC 601, you prolly better off running it direct through the PA if possible.

This.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
an added bonus of the AB50 is it does these pretty well in my experiences.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Captain Insano
you prolly better off running it direct through the PA if possible.

This is what happens 9/10 times, but friday night was a very poorly run gig, and the sound man didn't really know his stuff.
I'm pretty sure it was just the two vocals coming through it.

And cheers, I'll look into one specially made for EUBs.
Please ignore those posts, the SWR and Acoustic stuff will not help the sound of our terrible EUBs. Christ, I have to have the action so friggin' high to be able to bow, and the G string STILL farts out! Not to mention that the pickup doesn't handle arco well. There are no amps made for EUBs. All those amps are meant for hollow-bodied instruments. Period.

Clackiness is the friggin' trademark of piezo pickups, and that's why I hate them. They're thin and brittle sounding on pretty much ALL instruments. They really cheaped out on that EUB, obviously, so you'll want an amp with as many bands of graphic EQ as possible and start dialing the clack out. Keep in mind that once you do that, all you'll hear is wolfy farts.

On some top-level instruments, they have combo systems with piezo pickups and mics/laser sensors, and they get a decent tone. But I hate piezo tone solo on acoustic instruments, especially upright bass. Listen to Brian Bromberg's tone on BPLIVE 2008 on BPTV. Ecchhh... although I will say that they're a bit more pleasant on hollow-bodied instruments. But on solidbodies, this is what we're stuck with, and there's no amplifier in the world designed to deal with that crap. Just an EQ.

Hell, if you're really lazy, turn off your tweeter.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by telecastrmastr
^ fitz just brought the heat.

I suppose, I found the Acoustic to complement the piezo pretty well if you messed with treble. that made most of the noise go a little down, but the mids kept it from being overtly bassy.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by thefitz

Clackiness is the friggin' trademark of piezo pickups, and that's why I hate them.

But it has a beautiful sound through my Ashdown, the low end kicks the hell out of all my bass guitars.
My point was the difference in sound between the two amps, not that they sound sucky in general.
Well, icant say that amps made for Db will sound anygood for EUBS, the property's are so different and your relying on a pickup not a chamber. Try and get a nice Di, The R.E.D.D.I i believe its called is a good one. Also phil jones 4x5 and acoustic image are probably the best but yet again, if as you say the ashdown sounds good, why nbot stick with it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul