Guys, I was trying to take off my pickguard so I could paint it, but I didn't know the whole shindig with the pickups, so I unscrewed the screws by the pickups, and I'm trying to put them back in (being since I can't the rest of the screws out) and now my pickups are screwed up. Any help? I'm kind of freaking out.

And yes, I know I am an idiot and should have figured out how to unscrew the pickup screws before hand, but I didn't think I'd screw it up.

EDIT: the pickups somewhat sank in, and i can't put the screws back in...something about a spring for each screw...
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Last edited by talia. at Mar 28, 2009,
i think you have to be a bit more specific than "screwed up"
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
are you saying you took out the screws that adjust the height of the pups?
yes, you are idiot.

pay $20 to get it professionaly taken off, or have a more expierenced friend take it off, paint it, and i'm sure that, even an idiot like you, can put it back on.
Quote by StratStar21
are you saying you took out the screws that adjust the height of the pups?

No, I took out the screws to take the pickguard off, but the pickups sank in, and I can't take off all of the screws because they're stuck.

Quote by djmay71
yes, you are idiot.

pay $20 to get it professionaly taken off, or have a more expierenced friend take it off, paint it, and i'm sure that, even an idiot like you, can put it back on.

thanks for making me feel even more like ****, and i doubt it; the closest guitar store is 20 miles away and they're probably going to be closing soon.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Pics would help. Pickups sink in if you twist in the screws, if you loosen them you should be fine (or other way 'round). But question: even if you took the pickups off the pickguard, woulndt the switch and knobs still be wired to it :S ?
Quote by Dog
You must be able to tremolo pick like a mad man.

Quote by RinestoneCowboy
How the **** do you jerk off?

Oh yeah: I'm a French-Canadian so excuse my English .
Quote by djmay71
yes, you are idiot.

You're an asshole.

These forums are to help people. You're no help.

Talia, what do you mean by stuck? can you not move them at all? they're pretty small, and don't sink in very far, so chances are that the screw's just stuck in some of the clearcoat.

I know we're fiends, but we do need pics to help properly.
------

Shwiggity.
The screws around the pickguard are stuck as in they're too hard to get out. I think it's because of the wood. But here are some pics.

I was just thinking I'll go to GC or Sam Ash tomorrow to have them fix it. But I really didn't think it'd be that hard to take it off.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

yeah you should just try and unscrew the pg, then you'll be good to fix it i think
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

hmm. Not sure what to tell you.

Might be best to have someone else deal with it then.
------

Shwiggity.
Christ guys this isn't rocket science,

TS, there's nothing wrong with your guitar and nothing's broken or anything, i did this too back in the day when I was first trying to take the pickguard off my old squier strat, I was trying to remove it but thought that meant I had to unscrew everything.. but here's what you have to do:

unscrew only the small outer screws, the ones that line the pickguard, those are the ones that connect the pickguard to the wood, everything else holds in electronics and pups and stuff.

once you unscrew the outside screws, take off the pickguard, there's going to be some wires and stuff still holding the pickguard to the other electronics (input and bridge), you'll have to cut those (and solder them back in later, this is really easy to do though and you should have no problem with it).

now you'll be able to remove the rest of the electronics (pup selector, pots and pups) and paint your guard. The only thing that will be kind of frustrating will be putting the pickups back in, everything else should be fairly easy.
go fishing.

Get something made of iron, and big-ish. A large nail or two should do.

Fish the pickup up and hope the screws thread easily.

BUT. The screws normally have springs between them and the pup to keep the pickup from rattling around. I'd say they've fallen off and you'll need to put them back on. So follow Schism's great advice, and remember the springs.
Quote by Schism1985
Christ guys this isn't rocket science,

TS, there's nothing wrong with your guitar and nothing's broken or anything, i did this too back in the day when I was first trying to take the pickguard off my old squier strat, I was trying to remove it but thought that meant I had to unscrew everything.. but here's what you have to do:

unscrew only the small outer screws, the ones that line the pickguard, those are the ones that connect the pickguard to the wood, everything else holds in electronics and pups and stuff.

once you unscrew the outside screws, take off the pickguard, there's going to be some wires and stuff still holding the pickguard to the other electronics (input and bridge), you'll have to cut those (and solder them back in later, this is really easy to do though and you should have no problem with it).

now you'll be able to remove the rest of the electronics (pup selector, pots and pups) and paint your guard. The only thing that will be kind of frustrating will be putting the pickups back in, everything else should be fairly easy.

This is correct. The screws you took out had nothing to do with removing the pick guard. You need to take out the dozen or so tiny screws around the perimeter of the pickguard. If you're having trouble, make sure you're using the correct size screwdriver and you don't strip out the head of the screw.

You will not need to cut any wires in order to get the pickguard off. However, the alternative is removing everything from the pickguard while it's loose but still attached to the guitar by a few wires. That means pickups, knobs, pots, and the switch all need to be unscrewed and removed, after you've got all the little screws out. If you want to paint the pickguard, you'll have to do all of this anyway so you might as well do it this way. That way there's no soldering, and much less potential to screw up.

Don't bother going to GC or anywhere else-- this is something that's important to learn yourself!
If you have further questions just come back here and someone will be able to help you.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Just unscrew the whole pickguard.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by talia.
Guys, I was trying to take off my pickguard so I could paint it

then continue doing so. you'll have to remove the pickups anyway so frankly what you perceive to be a problem isnt actually one. and it'll be easier to put the pickups back on the pickguard with the pickguard removed from the body.
the springs around the screws probably fell off try some other screwdrivers and get the pickguard off then put the springs on the screws again and problem solved
Oh Hey look at my signature
Quote by djmay71
yes, you are idiot.

ok buddy, its time to grow up

its probably been answered, but im sure you just have the pup off, put the spring inbetween the bracket and the pickup, screw that **** through the spring into the bottom

or maybe a new ring, if its messed up, really its hard to tell what your talking about in the original post

well i saw the pic, just take the rest off maybe, im not completely sure how that works all my guitars have been rear-routed, but you can only get to it from underneath it seems
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 29, 2009,
Thanks a lot guys. I will do it later because I have a blister on my thumb from the stupid screwdriver.

But just so I'm clear, I have to take all the screws out from around the pg, and then take it off. Then i take the pickups and springs off, paint it, and then put it all back in place and put the springs onto the screws to the pickups and put it back in?
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Quote by talia.
Thanks a lot guys. I will do it later because I have a blister on my thumb from the stupid screwdriver.

But just so I'm clear, I have to take all the screws out from around the pg, and then take it off. Then i take the pickups and springs off, paint it, and then put it all back in place and put the springs onto the screws to the pickups and put it back in?

thats pretty much exactly what you got to do.

dont forget to adjust your pickup height afterward.
^^how do i do that?

EDIT: and im having trouble putting the pickups back in; I don't know what I'm doing with the springs and there is like a bunch of little rubber tube-like things that go on to the spring/screw.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Last edited by talia. at Mar 29, 2009,
adjust the screws that came loose around the pup
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

use the rubber tubing in place of the springs. just push the screw to the plate of the puckup and screw it in.
Ok I got it guys, thank you so much!
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

msg to everyone talking about my post: i was grouchy. sorry TS, i took it out on you. please forgive me.
Quote by djmay71
yes, you are idiot.

I wish I could give this guy a thumbs down like on youtube.

How would he learn how to mod guitars if he never screws anything up?

You sir, are an idiot.

One thing I've learned when i was a kid, never pay for a "professional" setup. You pay a rediculous sum of money to have them do ****ty work. Learn how you like your guitar set up, and then do it yourself, and do it often.
Quote by Mike134
I wish I could give this guy a thumbs down like on youtube.

How would he learn how to mod guitars if he never screws anything up?

You sir, are an idiot.

One thing I've learned when i was a kid, never pay for a "professional" setup. You pay a rediculous sum of money to have them do ****ty work. Learn how you like your guitar set up, and then do it yourself, and do it often.

Sorry, I saw your apology after I posted this
nevermind i only read the firstpage
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC