Hi so I was thinking... What if I purchased an Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos, and switched the out the stock pickups for the EMG Kerry King set of pickups with gainboost. (These - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMG-EMGKFK-Kerry-King-8185-Humbucker-Set?sku=301513&src=3LEMWXX1) Is this possible? And also would this be a good idea. I play metal and shred.
Yea its a great idea get the 27 fret Xiphos to. O this combo works great but its not easy to do inless you can soder and route!
Well try the stock pickups first, but it could be a good idea depending on the amp you have. I've never found an emg to my liking so far though a lot of people like them.
yes its possible and yes its easy, worth noting, is that im fairely sure teh Xiphos comes with D-activator pickups, which are a pretty nice piece of work from Dimarzio.

there non active pickups that sound active.
*Enter Sig Here*
you will probably get slogged something like $300+ because it would need routing.??

i have no idea, but thats how much i would charge to do it, purely because it needs to be done right, and you aint gonna do it yourself
*Enter Sig Here*
Quote by Hale_91
yes its possible and yes its easy, worth noting, is that im fairely sure teh Xiphos comes with D-activator pickups, which are a pretty nice piece of work from Dimarzio.

there non active pickups that sound active.

but i want my gainboost and EMG's hahaha. But you're saying it wouldn't cost much to get the pickups switched and the gainboost put in?
muhammed suicmez (sp?) from necrophagist uses emgs in his xiphos
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
no, it will cost a tonne to get done, a proper guitar shop charges an arm and a leg to do stuff like that, because they know that theres tonnes of people out there that dont know how to use a soldering iron.

i suggest you phone up a place and see how much they will charge you.

then again, you could always get some random guitar player from down the road to do it for $50.
*Enter Sig Here*
actually now that i think of it, oli herbert used EMGs in his xyphos. hes the dude from all that remains. fukn extreme guitar player.

*Enter Sig Here*
Last edited by Hale_91 at Mar 28, 2009,
bestbuy will do the work necesary

for lik 150 dollars because of the routing needed to be done
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
And switch the tremolo while you're there.

I like D-Activators, why do you want EMGs?
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by guitarsftw
muhammed suicmez (sp?) from necrophagist uses emgs in his xiphos

but those are custom xiphos
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by Pac_man0123
Weird.

Anyways, to stay on topic, what amp do you have?

My amp isn't the greatest, but I almost never use mine, I usually use some line 6 spdier thing (not mine) but don't worry about that. I wanna know what people think of the xiphos with EMG. Now would it be smarter to change the pickups as I stated, or smarter to change the Edge III to a Original Floyd?
Quote by onetenpercent
My amp isn't the greatest, but I almost never use mine, I usually use some line 6 spdier thing (not mine) but don't worry about that. I wanna know what people think of the xiphos with EMG. Now would it be smarter to change the pickups as I stated, or smarter to change the Edge III to a Original Floyd?

Uhh sorry but i DO and WILL worry about that. EMGs with a spider (im assuming it's a spider 2 or 3, here) is like pouring gas on the fire of bad tone. They'll push the amp to far, causing it to clip and sound even worse than it already does (didn't know that was possible :O).

And i do think an OFR is a better investment than changing the D-Activators, but i think a new amp is also a better investment than those.
Quote by onetenpercent
Haha that's exactly what I thought haha. Bestbuy?!?

some best buys have music sections go there and ask for a puo replcament

40 bucks per pup
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
Quote by Pac_man0123
Uhh sorry but i DO and WILL worry about that. EMGs with a spider (im assuming it's a spider 2 or 3, here) is like pouring gas on the fire of bad tone. They'll push the amp to far, causing it to clip and sound even worse than it already does (didn't know that was possible :O).

And i do think an OFR is a better investment than changing the D-Activators, but i think a new amp is also a better investment than those.

Well I already have a new amp ordered, (framus dragon) so hopefully that can handle it?
Quote by Hale_91
actually now that i think of it, oli herbert used EMGs in his xyphos. hes the dude from all that remains. fukn extreme guitar player.

I was going to mention him. I love his natural one.
If you're getting a dragon then these actives will be great,
they'll sound like someone farting through a trombone on the spider though
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
someone posted up something about getting xiphos before and let me post the same response on this

i've played the guitar and my friend owns one the the thing is that the bridge is very cheap (arm dont lock in goes out of tune easy and also dont bend or drop the notes enough like a floyd) also the strap buttons are placed in really bad places so the guitar will ALWAYS stay off balance making it hard to play. and then there is the neck which is like a cheap version of a wizard neck with weird frets that feels like it's medium or small. i love ibanez it's just this guitar that they completely messed up on lol. i like the pick ups and shape lol. that's about it. if you want a good ibanez just get the new rg or s series those can never go wrong. or if they want the shape you could just get a dean razorback/ml or jackson warrior.

hope this helps.
Quote by ticklemeasian
someone posted up something about getting xiphos before and let me post the same response on this

i've played the guitar and my friend owns one the the thing is that the bridge is very cheap (arm dont lock in goes out of tune easy and also dont bend or drop the notes enough like a floyd) also the strap buttons are placed in really bad places so the guitar will ALWAYS stay off balance making it hard to play. and then there is the neck which is like a cheap version of a wizard neck with weird frets that feels like it's medium or small. i love ibanez it's just this guitar that they completely messed up on lol. i like the pick ups and shape lol. that's about it. if you want a good ibanez just get the new rg or s series those can never go wrong. or if they want the shape you could just get a dean razorback/ml or jackson warrior.

hope this helps.

This is the first bad review I've read of this guitar, other than the Edge III bridge.
well it's really one of those once you have it in your hands for about a week you will noticed i could have used that 600 dollars on something else.