I recently bought a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo (thank you to all of the people who recommended that guitar!) as my first acoustic guitar. I bought this guitar, plus a really nice gig bag, for $300. My friend (who has always been competitive with me) heard that I bought this guitar and just bought a Taylor 110 for $550. Knowing him, he is going to say "Hey! Look at my Taylor! It kicks your Seagull's "butt." " So, how would you, non-biased people, compare these two guitars. Which is better made, which sounds nicer, etc. Prepare me for his rant.
Gear:
Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
Does it matter what guitar you have? As long as it's decent and not a piece of doo doo. Just play better than him, that will shut himup.
Instead of risking breaking the bad news I'll just advise to try not to get fooled into playing this game, music is music, materialism is another, if you're happy with what you've bought for yourself nobody's rightful to hinder the joy.

In short, tell him to **** off so he'd give you a break.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
hahaha. that is exactly what I was thinking. I will be like, "well I love my guitar and you love your's so it's all good." (and I am a better player so I am not worried about that) But when he goes on and on about how he thinks his guitar is better (trust me, he will), I need something to say that will shut him up (besides **** off).
Gear:
Gibson Vintage Mahogany LP
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Classic 30
Vox V847A Wahwah pedal
Just tell him he's paid for the name and nothing more. His guitar has no better specs than yours. You both have a solid top and laminate sides.

The low-end taylors are pretty poor value, your Seagull will sound much better than his Taylor.

If you insist on telling him something, just say he's spent more money on an equal-specced but far less respected guitar.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by guitarboy48
hahaha. that is exactly what I was thinking. I will be like, "well I love my guitar and you love your's so it's all good." (and I am a better player so I am not worried about that) But when he goes on and on about how he thinks his guitar is better (trust me, he will), I need something to say that will shut him up (besides **** off).

Ahhh, I have 2 friends that act like that. Anyways, you already said you're a better guitar player. What else do you need? He spent an extra 300bucks to get a guitar with a different name. Big whoop?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Just tell him he's paid for the name and nothing more. His guitar has no better specs than yours. You both have a solid top and laminate sides.

The low-end taylors are pretty poor value, your Seagull will sound much better than his Taylor.

If you insist on telling him something, just say he's spent more money on an equal-specced but far less respected guitar.

This, pretty much. You paid less for an equally good guitar(if not better, in my opinion). Trust me, your mini jumbo kicks ASS.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Like was already said the low end Taylors aren't anything special.. I bought a Tanglewood guitar the other day that sounds better to me than the higher end Taylors, and my Tanglewood only cost $600.. the Taylors here can sell for over double that price.

On top of that it's a matter of personal opinion, just tell him you prefer your sound to his. Done.
sounds like he's got a small dick with something to prove
if you're a better player- you should just say, "Can your guitar do this?" *shred a dank little riff* "No? Too bad, you should take it back."
its like my friend who has like 5 guitars now. he keeps saying look at me. i can 'shred' *muddy mess of distortion with open strings ringing*

um, ok. i play *blues riffs*

how do you that can my guitars do that?

dude, its all up to the player. brand names dont matter as long as you like your guitar.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
honestly you can argue that one is better than the other and that he only bought it for the name, but in the end you really shouldnt let these kind of things bother you. if you are happy with your guitar then thats all that matters. now if you regretted your guitar purchase in itself, then you have a problem, but dont let your friend change your mind.
As long as you like it that all that matters.

I have a 150€ electric Yamaha that I wouldn't trade for any of my friends high end ESP's and gibsons. In fact I doubt I'd trade it for any other guitar; this Yamaha just screams "ME!" all over the place.
You like it
I dont know about his, but your guitar is great and you can play better than him so what are you worrying about?
Quote by guitarboy48
Knowing him, he is going to say "Hey! Look at my Taylor! It kicks your Seagull's "butt." "

Ask him how it kicks your Seagulls butt. Chances are he will have no intelligent answer. And then say "It sounds like you got ripped off on that Taylor".
Last edited by jackholexxxx at Mar 30, 2009,
Tell him its not just about the 'instrument', but what you can do with it.
Quote by LuckyDIM
sounds like he's got a small dick with something to prove
if you're a better player- you should just say, "Can your guitar do this?" *shred a dank little riff* "No? Too bad, you should take it back."

Haha, game over!
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government."
- Edward Abbey

"A university is what a college becomes when the faculty loses interest in students."
- John Ciardi
take his martin and break it over his ****ing head. then go "what!!!??" and take your tshirt off and spin it around over your head
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
I don't think anyone has pointed out the obvious, why do you call this person a friend?
Ben Pazolli
-----------------------
Epiphone Dot Studio
VOX Valvetronix VD-30AD
VOX V847 WAH-WAH Pedal
Boss Loop Station RC-2
-----------------------
"The nicest guy you'll ever f............ind"
Guitarboy, would you mind finding out where your mate got that Taylor 110 for $550? The GC here in Maryland has it at $700 and I want it =/