Hey fappers. I tried asking this question in the riffs and recording forum but nobody could give me an answer. Perhaps yall can be of some assistance? I have a problem. Whenever I try to layer a voice track over a guitar track on audacity, they start out in sync with one another and then as the tracks progress one track always ends up being off time with the other and I know for a fact that I played and sang everything right on time with one another. Why is it doing this? How do I fix it?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I was using audacity
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Last edited by dxpaintball8000 at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Lord-O-Donuts
What are you using to record? It could be the result of latency.

audacity but I did mention that in my original post in the riffs and recordings section
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Mr Fapper,

You are out of time, no question about it, the only other thing that could cause it would be using analogue recording equipment, but seeing as you arent i'd suggest just doing it over again until you get it in time
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by i_lovemetallica
Mr Fapper,

You are out of time, no question about it, the only other thing that could cause it would be using analogue recording equipment, but seeing as you arent i'd suggest just doing it over again until you get it in time

couldnt be. I even have loads of eye witnesses. Could it be that my computer is about 5 or 6 years old?
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Isn't there an entire thread dedicated to Audacity? Also about fifty thousand dedicate to this exact question?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Quote by guitardude34875
try it to a click track, to be in time. if that doesn't help, it's latency

what is latency?

EDIT: Also I must mention that there is no way that it could be me being off time. I mean we are talking about 5 seconds apart from each other as the song progresses
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Quote by dxpaintball8000
what is latency?

EDIT: Also I must mention that there is no way that it could be me being off time. I mean we are talking about 5 seconds apart from each other as the song progresses

latency is the computer slowing it down. are you using any sort of audio interface?

and it is possible, because playing in a studio is way different than live. try a click track, and then see about it. seems more like latency though, so i'd reccomend a cheap audio interface
He's not out of time, I often encountered the exact same problem when recording with Audacity.
What you have to do is just cut some of the track out, before you start playing. What I usually do is wait a second or two, THEN start recording, and afterwards cut some of the 'silence'out to get it even.
Just zoom in as much as possible to carve away tiny bits of it, and you can time it perfectly.
You could also send it to me and I could time it for you, but seeing this is the internet and I'm not exactly well-known on UG, I doubt you'd want to do that^^' ..
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Quote by guitardude34875
latency is the computer slowing it down. are you using any sort of audio interface?

and it is possible, because playing in a studio is way different than live. try a click track, and then see about it. seems more like latency though, so i'd reccomend a cheap audio interface

K cool thanks. Not really sure what an audio interface is but I'll ask around haha. Pretty much a noob when it comes to all of this recording biz
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Quote by dxpaintball8000
what is latency?

Look, either you screwed up or a program that has worked for millions of people suddenly decides to not work just for you.

I think you screwed up, now go record it again and use a click track.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
K cool thanks. Not really sure what an audio interface is but I'll ask around haha. Pretty much a noob when it comes to all of this recording biz

something you put between guitar/bass/mic/whatever and computer, so it'd be

audio source > audio interface > computer
Quote by guitardude34875
something you put between guitar/bass/mic/whatever and computer, so it'd be

audio source > audio interface > computer

oh cool thanks man
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
Quote by dxpaintball8000
oh cool thanks man

sure, but before you spend money on an interface, try a click track. if that doesn't work, get the interface
I've had problems like that with Audacity before because my computer was slow as hell. I'd be recording and eventually it would end up completely out of time with the click track, even though I know that I hadn't been that much out of time. I guess you should just cut chunks out of the track to bring it back in line with the others.