Hey, I bought a Vintage 1982 Ibanez Destroyer II DT400, with an OFR (double locking trem). I know I have to stretch the strings before I put them on. What's the deal with that? And why, what does it do?
you stretch them when they are on, i tune it up and then litterly pick the guitar up from the strings for a few seconds and retune, i never broke a string doing this.
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
It prevents fresh new strings from going out of tune soon after they're put on. Just pinch them at about the 12th fret and pull kinda hard, or about 3/4" - 1" from where it was. If you don't stretch them... it's not a big deal, the strings will just go out of tune slightly for awhile.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I don't bother stretching my strings, and I hardly ever go out of tune, usually just a little in the first week, then after that it's fine.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I stretch my strings right after changing them for about 5 mins. They stay perfectly in tune after that. You can usually judge how much you have to pull each string by feeling when the string really starts to resist.