Okay, so I know Cat Power didn't do the original, but her version was what directly influenced me to do one on my own. This is one of the first songs I've ever really sang on publically, and I know I'm not perfect yet. It was more just a way for me to try a few things vocally, because it's such a simple song.

So anyway, this was mostly an experiment, not just with vocals, but with a few recording things I was trying as well. So all feedback on any subject is appreciated.

Just don't go too hard on my voice, kay?

http://kdz.dmusic.com/music/

It's under 'Work-In-Progress.'

Alternatively, it's also in my profile here on UG.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Kidzelda at Mar 29, 2009,
Hi there. Thanks for the crit, I definitely hear what you're saying with the levels. I'll work that out before I put it on tape — all of these recordings end up under "first draft" of some sort haha. As for yours, it certainly is simple, but that's what this song (and folk in general) is about.

I like the sound you get from your guitar, but it feels a little too distant; the image I get in my head is you sitting on a stool in a concrete room (the reverb) with a condenser mic like 5 feet away. As for the panning, it works for a while but with something so simple as this (literally 2 different sources of audio), it is almost unnecessary to have the vox so distant from the guitar, since when I think of performance of a "songwriter's song," I think of the sources of audio literally being on top of each other (the mouth above the sound hole of the guitar).

As for the voice, I think there is tons of potential there. It is smooth, but since I got the feeling you were going for a straight up, pure-voice sound, I think you could be more confident in it. We all hit wrong notes (except for T-Pain with his auto tune), so don't be afraid of having to do it again or just getting it wrong some. You definitely have a solid foundation. Keep it up!
Thank you, I will take these things into consideration, especially the reverb and panning. I'll probably bring the reverb down on the guitar a bit. I'm still grappling with reverb and how I want to use it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the voice confidence comment, whether you mean actual confidence in myself, or the way my performance sounded. I'd appreciate clarification on what you're saying, if you don't mind.

But again, thanks.
I can't seem to get your songs to stream from dmusic website. It keeps saying connecting when I choose either low or high option.
Quote by Kidzelda

I'm not sure what you mean by the voice confidence comment, whether you mean actual confidence in myself, or the way my performance sounded. I'd appreciate clarification on what you're saying, if you don't mind.

well, in my experience, confidence in yourself usually translates to a more confident performance. Of course, sometimes you want the performance to sound shaky or confused (if that makes sense) as part of the feel of the song. But the way i take this song, I think if you sang a bit more full and really go for the notes you seem to struggle on (this would be the "confident" part), the overall performance would benefit. It's smart to practice those notes first, obviously, but in listening to the song I can tell the areas where you aren't too sure in your performance, and if you aren't, then not many people will be either!
Quote by Whiskey Tango
I can't seem to get your songs to stream from dmusic website. It keeps saying connecting when I choose either low or high option.

That's odd. I'm not having any problems streaming. I'm doing it right now, actually. But I tell you what, I'm going to upload it to my UG profile (The only reason I have the dmusic page is that UG didn't have that option when I started posting here!)

Jables, I'm guessing you're talking about the latter end of the song, where the vocals are a bit quieter. That's mostly because the farther up in range I go, the less power I can put behind it. I can't really sing those notes any louder without yelling, which will not benefit this song. Maybe I just need to stick in my baritone range.

And I was kinda going for a "shaky" type sound, so to speak, because I wanted a 'tender' feel for the song, if you will. Maybe I'll redo them sometime when I've got the opportunity, and see how it turns out.
Last edited by Kidzelda at Mar 29, 2009,
Thanks for posting it in your profile.

First the good... I like the guitar sound. Very nice, clean tone. I like the reverb to it, but might cut it back a hair.

Vocally, I'm not as fond. I have to agree with Jables. The voice sounds extremely distant. I'm not sure what I'd do with it as far as effect other than cutting some of the reverb or going with a different option (i.e. smaller room). I too am going to agree with Jables on confidence. It seems at times you're a little hesitant to give them a full push so you end up flat in spots.

Overall not a bad performance. I also took a listen to some of your other posts. I really like Time To Waste.
Thank you for the comment.

'Time to Waste' is a song from my old band. We actually did that in a studio, as my current recording setup couldn't handle a drum kit. Just not enough inputs.

I'll probably cut the reverb a bit on the vocals (I was actually recording it in an empty room, but the recording doesn't reflect that very much as I was so close.)

I'll probably have another go at the vocals. I just hadn't touched this in a while, as it was mostly an experiment, but I prefer to get outside opinion on most things I do, just because I like to try to see things from other perspectives and consider things I hadn't considered before. So thanks again, guys.
hey thnx for criting mine, anyways i hope i'm not to harsh

vocals, i'm not too fond of. sounds like your holding back man, don't be afraid to sing man other wise don't. but i've heard your other songs and you have pretty good vocals.

i liked the whole reverb thing you got, but just try to lower it a bit

so just improve on your vocal confidence, but it's a decent good cover, guitar was top and it was in tempo