I have a Fender 72 Telecaster Custom with a Fender Humbucker at the neck and a single coil at the bridge. I think there may be something wrong with the humbucker pickup at the neck. It sounds flat, not crisp like my ES-330's P100 Humbucker pickups. Both pickup's were designed by the same engineer, Seth Lover. Anyone ever heard of a pickup going bad? If so, what should I replace it with to get the original sound. Does Fender still offer a Humbucker pickup?
Weird.... well I'd guess that it sounds flat cause it's at the neck.... Usually HSS Strats have the humbucker at the bridge.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
The pickups in ES-330's are P-90 pickups. The P100 'humbucker' version you have is a stacked P-90, effectively a single coil doubled up to remove hum, though not a true humbucker.

On the other hand, the humbuckers in modern Fender Teles are plain regular humbuckers.

In other words... you're comparing two completely different types of pickup, on two completely different types of guitar, and you're somehow surprised they sound different?
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The "Humbucker" in the Fender sounds flat, no highs. I don't have another Gibson to compare against. I had a feeling that the P100 might not be exactly right, but it was all I had to compare against.
Humbuckers never have much high response. If the P100 is what you think humbuckers sound like, you're very, very mistaken. That P100 is first and foremost a single coil pickup.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well i think the first problem here is that you're comparing the sound of a fender to a gibson and wondering why they aren't the same.

The second problem is, as MrFlibble pointed out, that they are 2 completely different pickups.