So I’m after a new amp (obviously). I don't want a half stack, I want a combo. Thing is, I want it to be able to play pretty much everything.

The most important thing is that it has really good cleans; I need this for my swing/jazz/funk band. But that said, I also want something that can handle a wider range; classic rock, classic metal, grunge, punk/pop punk, metal/metalcore, etc... (I like pretty much everything )

So now the important things: My budget is about $1500 Australian (roughly $1040 USD or £730 GBP). I’d be willing to pay maybe another $500 more, but it’d have to be worth it. I play an Ibanez SA260FM (if you’re unfamiliar with it, it’s a midrange guitar with passive S-S-H pickups). I don’t mind if it is valve or solid state; valves would be nice but I’m aware they’re much more expensive.

I’m not big on distortion pedals; preferably the only pedal I want to use is my Weeping Demon Wah, so I really want good tone from this amp. Of course it would be another bonus if the amp came with a channel select pedal (but I’m sure most decent amps these days do anyway).

By the way, I'm not going to buy anything without trying it first.

This is the first time I’ve asked the forum an amp question so I hope I’m being clear and not too demanding. Thanks!

(By the way, at the moment all I have is my Roland Cube 20. My profile says I have a couple of Fender amps but I don’t, these are amps I borrowed from school. Since I graduated last year, I had to give them back )

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Mar 28, 2009,
ummmm........
Mesa/Boogie Mark III/ IV ???
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Roland Cube 80
Line 6 Vetta II
Line 6 Flextone
Atomic Reactor 18/50
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
ummmm........
Mesa/Boogie Mark III/ IV ???
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Roland Cube 80
Line 6 Vetta II
Line 6 Flextone
Atomic Reactor 18/50

With his budget (in Australia) the Vypyr and Cube are the only things he'll have enough for, maybe a Vetta or Flextone used.
Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Marshall MG.

Yeah. Thanks.

Quote by Scumbag1792
i know you said you dont want a half stack but i bought the line 6 spider III 150 amp and 412 speaker cabinet a few months ago i couldnt be happier. as long as you hook up the amp to the cab with 2 cables like your supposed to it will work perfect! it has great sound for a solid state and plenty of presets and effects to play with. i have been playing for over 9 years, and its a great amp for the price
Quote by littlephil
With his budget (in Australia) the Vypyr and Cube are the only things he'll have enough for, maybe a Vetta or Flextone used.

This is true. I'd love a Mesa but I'll never afford one.

Quote by Scumbag1792
You can probably afford a Marshall DSL401- if you don't want to use pedals, that's about the best you can do. Maybe a Peavey Valveking with a speaker swap, although I'm not sure if it could do metalcore without any assistance.
Line6 Flextone also is a good option. Maybe a used Vetta.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Line 6 Vetta
Line 6 Flextone
Vypyr Tube 60
H&K Switchblade
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by irishguitar9
i know you said you dont want a half stack but i bought the line 6 spider III 150 amp and 412 speaker cabinet a few months ago i couldnt be happier. as long as you hook up the amp to the cab with 2 cables like your supposed to it will work perfect! it has great sound for a solid state and plenty of presets and effects to play with. i have been playing for over 9 years, and its a great amp for the price

have you tried any amps in its price range???

TS: go look at the amps in my first post (except the Mesa)
feel free to add me
Quote by shadow__666
You can probably afford a Marshall DSL401- if you don't want to use pedals, that's about the best you can do. Maybe a Peavey Valveking with a speaker swap, although I'm not sure if it could do metalcore without any assistance.

That's ok, Metalcore is pretty low on my list of priorities.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
This is true. I'd love a Mesa but I'll never afford one.

I hear you there. I have major GAS for a Mark IIC+ after watching these 2 videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1VgHT9K5l8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU2s4RbPiow
But they cost at least $4000 if you can even find them in Aus. I'm looking for a Mark IV though, hopefully people will start to sell them when the V comes out. Short head of course, they look so cool.
Then look at the VK, because it's cleans are very under rated (I find them almost Fender-esque) and spend the money you save on a new speaker, because the stock one is sh*t. Aren't they about $1000 on your side of the Ditch?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

TS: go look at the amps in my first post (except the Mesa)

Ok. I've heard terrible terrible things about Line-6 spiders, I'm assuming the Vetta and Flextone are much better?

Quote by Scumbag1792
Very much so. The Vetta is brilliant, but you probably can't afford one. Flextone might me in your budget though, if not new then used for sure.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Then look at the VK, because it's cleans are very under rated (I find them almost Fender-esque) and spend the money you save on a new speaker, because the stock one is sh*t. Aren't they about $1000 on your side of the Ditch?

I'm not sure exactly. I'm going looking tomorrow. But I know one of the stores near me has 30% off all Peavey amps at the moment, so that helps.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by shadow__666

I doubt a DSL could do Metalcore, even with assistance, plus it needs a speaker swap just as much as the VK.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
I doubt a DSL could do Metalcore, even with assistance, plus it needs a speaker swap just as much as the VK.

Like I said, Metalcore is a pretty low priority.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Quote by acdclandon

Trivium used DSL100s - I don't know if they still do, but I know they used them. I thought the stock DSL speaker was OK, but even to change it would still be within TS' budget.

I personally prefer the DSL series to the JCM900s because they have a lot more range - they can do very clean cleans and quite high gain, but they also are able to do a Marshall crunch which I've never managed to coax out of a 900.
Quote by Cathbard
Last edited by shadow__666 at Mar 28, 2009,
^Trivium uses Peavey 6505+'s and Marshall JCM 2000 Super Leads
feel free to add me
i really dont understand why everyone bad mouths the line 6 spider III. i agree its not the most amazing amp on the planet but for the price and the range of sounds he wants, its really not a bad amp. if anything go to like a guitar center and try one out, dont listen to everyones opinion make your own. i did and im very happy with my amp. it was plenty of different settings, everything from clean to twang, blues, crunch, metal and hardcore. plus all the presets are based off other amps like the mesa boogie and off of artist setups. so just give it a try before you listen to everyone about it being a bad amp.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^Trivium uses Peavey 6505+'s and Marshall JCM 2000 Super Leads

DSL = Dual Super Lead.

To the guy above me - TS can do much, much better than a Spider in his price range. I wouldn't even suggest he bother trying it out, because he can get a better amp in that price range. Just like I wouldn't tell him to try an MG, or Ibanez TBX, or Crate Flexwave or whatever.
Quote by Cathbard
Yes the Flextones and Spider Valves are good amps.

Does the store you are going to have a web site where we can look at inventory?

Vypyr 60, Valveking, Cube 60, are all good choices too.

Post back here tomorrow after you return. Play as much as you can with your own guitar.
^^ ohhh.....
to my limited knowledge of Marshall amps
feel free to add me
Quote by irishguitar9
i really dont understand why everyone bad mouths the line 6 spider III. i agree its not the most amazing amp on the planet but for the price and the range of sounds he wants, its really not a bad amp. if anything go to like a guitar center and try one out, dont listen to everyones opinion make your own. i did and im very happy with my amp. it was plenty of different settings, everything from clean to twang, blues, crunch, metal and hardcore. plus all the presets are based off other amps like the mesa boogie and off of artist setups. so just give it a try before you listen to everyone about it being a bad amp.

i tried it for 15 minutes in a sound proof room and it sound like digital crap.
the cleans and crunch channels are ok but the insane and metal channels are horrible.
and the effects were just too digital compared to a Vypyr.
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Mar 28, 2009,
I found the Vypyrs to be as digital as a Spider, just less fizzy.

WTF, mate, I've told you this before and I'll tell you again. If you don't know something, don't talk about it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Does the store you are going to have a web site where we can look at inventory?

Afraid not. From memory, the places I'm going have Vox, Marshall, Peavey, Roland, Line-6, and Fender.

EDIT: And Randall.

Quote by Scumbag1792
Are you going to Allans or Billy Hyde in Sydney?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
Are you going to Allans or Billy Hyde in Sydney?

I wish.. I live in Cairns (which if you don't know is tiny in comparison).

We have 3 or 4 independently owned music stores with a fairly good range, but it's no Billy Hyde.

Quote by Scumbag1792
I grew up a couple of hours from Cairns - my first guitar was bought from a shop there. I wish I could remember which one.
Quote by Cathbard
Probably Buzz Music, I think they've been here the longest.

EDIT: Anyway Shadow, you've been really helpful. I'm gonna try a few things out, do you mind if I PM you in a day or two for some advice?

Quote by Scumbag1792
Sure.
Quote by Cathbard
Thanks mate.

Quote by Scumbag1792
I wish you were more willing to try out pedals and stuff, cause contrary to popular belief, I'd suggest a Vox AC30 or 15... the only problem you might be faced with is a *lack of headroom, that is the 15 breaks up pretty easily, but they're hella loud, and i've been getting sounds from nice jazzy warm tones to some pretty serious metal tones.

The bass isn't quite as tight, as a real metal amp, but if your were to toss osmething like a Tubescreamer + maybe a clean boost you can push her into high gain territory no problem.

I dunno, something to think about.

edited for a stupid mistake.
Last edited by the-patient at Mar 29, 2009,
Line 6 Flextone
Peavey Vypyr (tube or non)

for ease and versatility digital amps are very good. i haven't played the vypyr so im not sure what its sound quality is like but the flextone has very good modeling.
Id look into high end modeling. I hear great things about the Line 6 Vetta's.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by shadow__666
Trivium used DSL100s - I don't know if they still do, but I know they used them. I thought the stock DSL speaker was OK, but even to change it would still be within TS' budget.

I personally prefer the DSL series to the JCM900s because they have a lot more range - they can do very clean cleans and quite high gain, but they also are able to do a Marshall crunch which I've never managed to coax out of a 900.

True enough, the DSL's were definitely meant to hit the "Marshall Crunch" a lot better than the 900, but I think the 900's cleans and non "Marshall Crunch" and High Gain sounds are better.

Although I've never tried the head version, which i assume would be better than the combo that i tried.

I've heard it has an MG speaker, I could tell too it was insanely muddy.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I'd recommend the Randall MTS, but in Aus the prices tend to rape you
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores