Poll: EMG 81, Blackout, or D Sonic?
Poll Options
View poll results: EMG 81, Blackout, or D Sonic?
EMG 81 (keep)
3 13%
Seymour Duncan Blackout (replace)
19 79%
DiMarzion Drop Sonic (replace)
2 8%
Voters: 24.
Well, I'm thinking of replacing my RR24's EMG 81 with the Blackout or D Sonic. Would it be worth it, or should I keep the 81? Which IYO is better?
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
That depends on what kind of sound you want. I'm not familiar with the D Sonic (but I've heard good things about it), the Blackout emphasizes mids a lot so it may or may not appeal to you.

Personally, I don't like actives. They sound too sterile to me.
I'm a Mormon.

Gear:
Schecter C-1+
Kustom Tube 12-A
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I'd personally go with the D-Sonic for it's more organic and dynamic tone and the fact that it can be wired for coil splitting and can handle several genres easily.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Blackout.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
18v mod. Try it first before you swap pickups, it really opens up the sound. And the D-sonic sucks tbh, I had one in my old M-1000.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Blackout, I finally got a chance to A/B my set with a guitar that had EMGs. The Blackout was definitely better.
I doubt it's really worth spending $100 anyways to go from good pickup to semi-better pickup or different pickup. Some people may prefer EMG 81's to the other options. If you like that pickup, you'd only be going sideways really.
Try the 18 volt mod, and if you still don't like it, go with the Blackouts.
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm