Page 1 of 3
When it comes to buying CDs versus downloading.. if you actually like the band enough of course...

Price?
More songs?
Video/DVD stuff?
Live tracks?
None of them. I just like having something physical, I.E.: The actual CD/record/tape, the booklet, the lyrics, etc.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Meh for me it's price, I don't have a job so it's really hard for me to buy cd's.

EDIT: What messiah said.
Quote by MetalMessiah665
None of them. I just like having something physical, I.E.: The actual CD/record/tape, the booklet, the lyrics, etc.

This, pretty much.

Same reason that I'd buy vinyls (though I haven't been able to get any that I want), even though I lack a turntable. Also, having the cover art with me is always great.
Quote by MetalMessiah665

This.
Also it just feels right to buy the music.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
There is no versus. I only download things licensed by the bands themselves, out of print demos etc.

Its cool having something tangible with artwork and lyrics, and plus - before a retard tries to convince me otherwise - cd sales do affect the success of the band for gigs, further contracts, etc.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
I try to actually buy the CD if I can find it, but since I'm too lazy to order online if I can't find it in a store, I download most of my stuff.
Quote by MetalMessiah665

Thats awesome, its just getting harder and harder these days to get people to actually buy CDs because of the ease of downloading.
Downloading is absolute bollocks.

click, click, wait.....click.

Yeah im a diehard fan of this band now.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested

Buying is what makes music fun.

No, scratch that, trading is. But, you have to buy to trade.

Also, the whole physical copy of a piece of art is pretty wicked.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
People who don't buy CDs at all (don't see a point in buying CDs) aren't real music fans. I still download quite a bit, but that is because

1. I don't have a lot of money

2. No CD stores near here, I have to order everything and without a credit card I can't do this very often.

That said, I do still try to get CDs as often as possible.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
People who don't buy CDs at all (don't see a point in buying CDs) aren't real music fans. I still download quite a bit, but that is because

1. I don't have a lot of money

2. No CD stores near here, I have to order everything and without a credit card I can't do this very often.

That said, I do still try to get CDs as often as possible.

This.
Quote by MetalMessiah665
People who don't buy CDs at all (don't see a point in buying CDs) aren't real music fans. .

This.

EDIT: snap
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
I see the point of buying them, but I am dirt poor, and CDs are (usually) quite overpriced ($18 per disc, sup).

If I were to, I'd never buy from major record companies; only the small, independent ones.

The bit about "people who don't buy CDs aren't real music fans" doesn't make any sense, seeing as the music is the same no matter how you get it (given the digital copy is a transparent rip, lossless or otherwise hifi mp3), unless you are emphasizing the "fans" bit. But a fan of a band is also as likely to buy various merch and/or go to concerts, so being a "fan" is not characterized merely by buying CDs.
Pretty much ALL of my CD's are secondhand or were on sale. I would buy CDs if it weren't so expensive. I don't have paypal so I can't exactly purchase off the internet. So downloading seems to be my only option.
But why buy merchandise and not cds? Surely when yer bitchin about money, the merch costs more than cds, right?
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Well, clothes are a necessity. Since you're gonna buy a shirt anyway, why not buy one from your favourite band.
I can't buy CDs since they (most of the extreme metal ones) are not available here, but when I buy them(local bands, classic metal bands etc.) I normally buy them just to have a physical copy and the lyrics booklet and obviously, to support the band.
Uncle Vernon, Uncle Vernon,
independent as a hog on ice,
He's a big shot down there at the slaughterhouse,
Plays accordion for Mr. Weiss
Quote by Stranglehold
But why buy merchandise and not cds? Surely when yer bitchin about money, the merch costs more than cds, right?

Yes, but merch money goes to the band.
CD money goes to everyone in between.
lrn2factz

I'm pretty much a downloader. I've got over 100gb of downloaded music, but if something REALLY grabs me, I pretty much go and buy it. I've got close to 100 cds now (I know, not that much, but still not bad) and all of them are bands that I truly respect and want to support.

Buying a $30 CD through stores results in the band getting about $1/2 if their lucky.
Buying a $30 shirt from a band at a show, or even online results in the band getting a huge percentage of the money back into their funds.
Quote by ihave27frets
When it comes to buying CDs versus downloading.. if you actually like the band enough of course...

Price?
More songs?
Video/DVD stuff?
Live tracks?
First things first: You guys are awesome live; saw you with Cannibal Corpse at the Croation Cultural Center a while ago.

Secondly: None of those really makes a difference to me...truth be told, most of the time I'll go out of my way to AVOID cd's that have 'bonus live tracks'. They piss me off. Dunno why, that's just me. I've just always liked live cd's and studio cd's as two very seperate things.

I only ever download to preview music. I download an album, listen to it for a week...if at the end of the week I still like the album, I'll go out and buy it. If I don't like it enough to buy it, I'll delete it. The reason I buy albums is because I like having something tangible, I like supporting good bands, and I like having something to play in my car stereo (HATE playing CD-R's, lol...). And last but certainly not least, I love having the artwork/lyrics.
Last edited by misanthropy_inc at Mar 29, 2009,
CD's are better than downloads hands down. Only problem is, I find it so hard to find CD's on the internet that I can buy. The 'Buying Metal on the Internet' thread can only take me so far...

"Ein Herz von flimmernden Hirngespinsten,
Ohne Halt und ohne Boden.
Feuer des Winters,
Herr der Träume,
Vater aller Türen: Öffne!"
Paysage d'Hiver - Ich schreite
I buy CDs when I can but it's nearly impossible for me to find what I want and I have no way to order online.
Quote by ChemicalFire
He was too stunned by my fresh truths.

Quote by GodofCheesecake
"And I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you darn kids and your meddling and your breakadowns!"

Quote by Nakedbythecomp
Metal is a sub-genre of metalcore since metalcore is more popular therefore better.
I think I would much rather spend my money on a nice band shirt or tour wallpaper.

That said, I can't stand most metal band shirt designs. Really not in to the whole multi-color, ton-o-details, fire-skulls-weapons-METAL!!!! kind of shirts that are usually found. So yeah, CD's it is, usually.

Why buy? It's fun having a CD of a band you like. I'd only buy CD's and not download at all if it was realistic for me.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by MetalMessiah665
People who don't buy CDs at all (don't see a point in buying CDs) aren't real music fans.

That's a pretty retarded statement.

I never buy CDs. If I did, they would all have to be ordered from overseas over the internet at ridiculous prices due to my country's crappy exchange rate. However I STILL buy merch - also only ordered online from halfway across the world. I would go to every live show of a band I liked that I got the chance to, but since we never get live shows here that doesn't make a difference.

So basically, the band loses nothing from my downloading their music, but does get some extra cash from my merch money, that that would have never come in if I didn't download in the first place.
○ ○ ○ ○ ○
Quote by Stranglehold
Downloading is absolute bollocks.

click, click, wait.....click.

Yeah im a diehard fan of this band now.

I honestly wouldn't expect such singlemindedness from someone such as yourself.

I mean yeah, OK, it's fair enough you don't like downloading yourself, diffr'nt strokes and all that, but to completely fob it off and make an off the wall judgement regarding it is a bit off the mark.

Par example.

I downloaded pretty much all of Dan Swano's discography. Edge of Sanity, Nightingale, Moontower, Pan.Thy.Monium etc. And I loved the music, I became quite the Swano fanboy, fuck, I still am.

Now, to let that be and still whore him out without spending a damn penny would be majorly hypocritical of me. But if it wasn't for me downloading all of his stuff, I wouldn't have forked out over 200 euros clearing out the Wacken Black Mark stall of Swano releases/merch.

If it wasn't for me downloading Devin Townsend's discography I wouldn't have spend the approx. £130 on his CDs.

If I didn't download the several Dream Theater albums I poached Mr Petrucci's manly physique may have had to miss out on the fraction of the approx £150 I spent on their CDs/DVDs that he would have spent on dumbells the size of Jupiter.

If I morally decided against downloading Death's discography Mr Schuldiner's dear mother would have missed out on the small portion of the £70-odd i forked out for all of Chuck's Material. (Except Symbolic, could never find the fucker anywhere for a reasonable price).

And if I didn't right click on my mate's name on Soulseek and browsed him in order to download Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris I wouldn't have hunted high and low to find that little bastard for the bargain price of £10.

Get my drift?

Downloading and giving back nothing is not on, I agree. But it is far from 'bollocks' as you so eloquently put it.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
+1 Dyers

My opinion exactly. I never would have gotten into most of the bands I like if it wasn't for downloading.
I'd just like to have your new cd
Edit: also, i put a tab up for the victorious dead (it got accepted), could you tell me how i did?
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
Last edited by CG Man16 at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Dyer's Eve

*reply*

Yes, but the difference is that you did buy the cds after, my comment was aimed at people who just horse everything onto a hard drive and then namedrop said bands at any opportunity.

You said it yourself, to label yourself a fanatic of a band or artist and not be arsed paying money for their art would be hypocrisy. And thats what I was getting at, people who call themselves fans but cant even hand over €10 or so for a full-length album.

I am a bit harsh on the subject of downloading, but meh thats just how I feel on the subject. Its a sign of the lazy times we live in.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by dead-fish
That said, I can't stand most metal band shirt designs. Really not in to the whole multi-color, ton-o-details, fire-skulls-weapons-METAL!!!! kind of shirts that are usually found. So yeah, CD's it is, usually.
This pisses me off as well. I hate how there's skulls on a lot of metal bands t-shirts, it's really repetitive and boring. I usually opt for the album cover on my t-shirts.

More on topic: I have about 30 CDs so most of my music is downloaded. Let truth be told I just can't afford to be buying CDs. I'd rather have nice t-shirt, a ticket to see a band live, or a nice new pedal, amp or guitar than a CD; seems like a much better use of my money. One day though I vow to myself I will spend an entire pay check on CDs.
I download a lot of music, but there's absoluetly no way I could afford to buy even half of what I download.

I justify my downloading by going to see any band who's album I have dowloaded if they're playing in my area, whether I like them or not. If I have spare cash then I will go buy CDs I've downloaded but I'd prefer to spend that money on merch at gigs where I know the band will get more of my money.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Doubt it.

Low Supply + High Demand = High Prices
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Quote by Stranglehold

Shows are the only time my parents give me money, also, most of the shows i go to the shirts are $5-$12. And the money goes straight to the band.
Quote by Clunis
This pisses me off as well. I hate how there's skulls on a lot of metal bands t-shirts, it's really repetitive and boring. I usually opt for the album cover on my t-shirts.

Way to miss the point...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by Magero
Yes, but merch money goes to the band.
CD money goes to everyone in between.
lrn2factz

I'm pretty much a downloader. I've got over 100gb of downloaded music, but if something REALLY grabs me, I pretty much go and buy it. I've got close to 100 cds now (I know, not that much, but still not bad) and all of them are bands that I truly respect and want to support.

Buying a $30 CD through stores results in the band getting about $1/2 if their lucky.
Buying a $30 shirt from a band at a show, or even online results in the band getting a huge percentage of the money back into their funds.

100 cds not much? I have less than 20. Beat that. Anyway, I would love to buy more CDs, but as said before, $18-$22 for a cd is rediculous. I don't have that money.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
I work a measly 20 hours per week, go to college full-time, yet somehow manage to shell out approximately $200 every month on CD's. Fact is, if you really want something, you can find a way to buy it. And if you can't, then you have no right to download without intention of purchasing. CD's are no different than anything else, and too many people have a false notion that if they can't afford it, then they can just steal it because it's been made so easy for them to do so.
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
Last edited by Penisaur at Mar 30, 2009,
Quote by blood8815
I wish i could buy CDs but i always end up buying shirts and going to shows instead

Pretty much this, only I buy more vinyls and tapes than I do CD's.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Page 1 of 3