do the professionals still build websites completely using html/css etc. I'm wondering because with software like dreamweaver it seems really inefficient or is script something you just have to have a familiarity with?
When I do web design projects I tend to use PHP in conjunction with HTML and CSS. There are a bunch of other languages used for random projects, but just for front end work that pretty much covers it.

Edit: Also, I hate Dreamweaver. I prefer coding by hand to programs like Dreamweaver any day.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by Don't Read This
do the professionals still build websites completely using html/css etc. I'm wondering because with software like dreamweaver it seems really inefficient or is script something you just have to have a familiarity with?

You have to know your medium. Dreamweaver has a lot in common with Dreamtheater, in that it's for n00bs who don't know better.
i design the layout in photoshop and export as html and images and then code from there in HTML.
most pros code by hand, none of the HTML editors ever do a really good job of coding whatever you design. I do use dreamweaver occasionally, but I still have to go through all of the Dreamweaver generated script by hand to debug it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Web Designers would use software such as Dreamweaver, etc. Web Developers would code with PHP etc.

(I hypothesize.)

I have used both but wouldn't really call myself a web designer/developer.
Dreamweaver is good, but should only be used to assist in hand-coding only. Working in design mode = fail.
Gear:

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard
- Saga LP Copy
- Godin Seagull Acoustic
- Roland Cube 60
- Fender G-Dec
- Jim Dunlop Crybaby
- Guitar Rig 2