So...I'm a guitarist turned bassist (not because I suck, I prefer bass), and I was just thinking. I like to use effects with my bass (distortion and such), so I was wondering. Say I'm playing a gig and a guitarist's string breaks and has to go switch out. Could I hit an A/B button and make my bass sound like a guitar (or at least similar) using effects such as whammy, guitar distortion and other stuff?

tl;dr Can I make my bass sound similar to a guitar?
octave up>>tube guitar head>>bass cab=guitar sound
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
You wouldn't want to make it sound like a guitar tho, if the guitar has to drop let the bass be consistent, if something drops out its better to be the top, especially if there are two guitars. Let your bass sound its best and let the guitar do the same.

As far as effects go I advise being as tasteful as possible and not using them for the sake of using them. If something sounds better with an effect then by all means use it, but if you're putting distortion on during a slap solo that's a totally different thing.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
You wouldn't want to make it sound like a guitar tho, if the guitar has to drop let the bass be consistent, if something drops out its better to be the top, especially if there are two guitars. Let your bass sound its best and let the guitar do the same.

As far as effects go I advise being as tasteful as possible and not using them for the sake of using them. If something sounds better with an effect then by all means use it, but if you're putting distortion on during a slap solo that's a totally different thing.

Well, it was just an idea I had for emergency solution, like if both guitar parts are needed and bass isn't really.

And I use effects when I need them, I've got 3 presets on my multi-fx pedal and they're pretty much all I need, a clean channel, a fuzz with wah (for rhythm bass stuff), and a distortion with wah (for lead bass stuff). I don't just use distortion for the sake of distortion.
Quote by the humanity
octave up>>tube guitar head>>bass cab=guitar sound

The issue with that is that it leaves the low end empty. My recommendation would be to get a bass distortion pedal and just kick it in, that way the low end remains and you would still have a wall of distortion if desired.
Quote by Alex Vik
like if both guitar parts are needed and bass isn't really.

I think the onus should be on the other guitar player to be able to fill up the sound with one guitar
Last edited by pwrmax at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by pwrmax
The issue with that is that it leaves the low end empty. My recommendation would be to get a bass distortion pedal and just kick it in, that way the low end remains and you would still have a wall of distortion if desired.

I think the onus should be on the other guitar player to be able to fill up the sound with one guitar

that was with the assumption of him using an a/b/y like he stated in the first post.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

^ That could work out quite well, actually. You could set everything up like this:

-->1x15 Cab/Bass head
Bass-->ABY Box
--> Effects (at least an octave up pedal and distortion) -->4x10 Cab/ guitar head
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by kugelspot
^ That could work out quite well, actually. You could set everything up like this:

-->1x15 Cab/Bass head
Bass-->ABY Box
--> Effects (at least an octave up pedal and distortion) -->4x10 Cab/ guitar head

if he sets up the Eq's, he could have all the treble aimed at the guitar amp and the bass just running deep guttural subs for the most perfect rock tone ever.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I thought it would be neat to do this and have a guitarist do the Let It Be/Abbey Road George Harrison pseudo-bass thing (a guitar, or perhaps a guitar tuned down an octave). (A few other bands do it, I know Thrice does it for a song (well, both guitarists are using guitars regularly and the bassist is using a guitar tuned down an octave (err, I'm going the opposite direction; the first idea was guitar, bass as guitar, guitar as bass; why? I don't know))))))
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by kugelspot

-->1x15 Cab/Bass head
Bass-->ABY Box

You mean like this?

yes.

exactly like that.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Or play piccolo bass get something like a fender mustang and a set of piccolo bass strings and tune an octave up from regular bass and keep that handy.
Quote by Shy Guy
Or play piccolo bass get something like a fender mustang and a set of piccolo bass strings and tune an octave up from regular bass and keep that handy.

I consider Vik's idea way more useful. if I wanted a piccilo, I'd buy a guitar, it's basically an extended range piccolo.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I don't know why, but I really like this idea
What would be cool would be bi-amping, so you run all your distortion through the guitar rig, while still keeping the bass below it.

It would work really well for a bassline like in Hysteria.
I might do something like this, but with a 4x10 combo, to go with my 115, it wouldn't provide as much power, but bi-amping should make up for it, thanks for the idea TS.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Hey, I have that bass pedal

Also, that looks really good, it reminds me of Chris Squire's setup on Yes's album Fragile, only with distortion and minus the Rick.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by samskii
Hey, I have that bass pedal

Also, that looks really good, it reminds me of Chris Squire's setup on Yes's album Fragile, only with distortion and minus the Rick.

did he have an octave up?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I don't know for sure, but on several songs he has a doubled sound, as if he EQ'd one amp really high, the other for lows. Octavers may not have been around back then, I'm not clear on the history of FX pedals...

Edit: Also, he just bi-amped his Rick, using that lovely twin out jack that they have...
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Last edited by samskii at Mar 30, 2009,
Quote by solid_moose
I don't know why, but I really like this idea
What would be cool would be bi-amping, so you run all your distortion through the guitar rig, while still keeping the bass below it.

It would work really well for a bassline like in Hysteria.
I might do something like this, but with a 4x10 combo, to go with my 115, it wouldn't provide as much power, but bi-amping should make up for it, thanks for the idea TS.

Wow, that would be a good idea too. I guess they make splitters for stereo outputs. That would be an interesting sound with that, I may have to try that when I get this rig Thank you for the bi-amping idea.
Quote by samskii
I don't know for sure, but on several songs he has a doubled sound, as if he EQ'd one amp really high, the other for lows. Octavers may not have been around back then, I'm not clear on the history of FX pedals...

Edit: Also, he just bi-amped his Rick, using that lovely twin out jack that they have...

thought so. still, sounds really tight.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard