Page 1 of 2
My band just won a battle of the bands at a local venue(Northern Lights in Clifton Park NY, if you're wondering), now we're quite proud of ourselves, and we won $500, some studio time, and we get to open for what was termed in the signup for the first battle "A nationally touring band." Now reviewing the schedule at this club there is only one band with anything "special" about it.

Now you have to understand, my band is a bit different than the band in the listing that says "special guest TBA." We listen to a lot of Tool, RHCP, Muse, Robert Cray etc., and it comes out in our music. As you'll see, a little different than who I think we'll be openning for.

The band that says "Sepcial Guest TBA" is DRAGONFORCE.

I couldn't get all the details as my band had to leave to get to another gig before the battle ended, but the promoter left us a message congratulating us on winning, so I emailed them to get the rest of the details. We'll soon see if my fears are well founded.

http://www.groupiehead.net/ClubSchedulingForPublic.aspx?ClubID=65
Dragonforce is on May 8th. If anyone spies another group with such a listing on there I'd be happy, but I haven't seen one.

If anyone knows any songs to learn so we won't piss off the audience too much it'd be appreciated. We're a six piece band, 2 guitarists(blues-y, we're not shredders), a bassist in the vein of Wooten, but rockier, a violinist, a killer drummer and a (male)vocalist with a pretty high range(soprano?).
Show off your phrasing in the lead guitars instead of speed. And show emotion while playing, that stuff always trumps speed ... which is about all Dragonforce has going for them.
Well, you'll blow Herman Ri right out of the water I bet.
love is love // return to dust
Dude, I go to Clifton Park at least once or twice every year
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Quote by tancanada
Well, you'll blow Herman Ri right out of the water I bet.

This.
play some of The Raconteurs. 'Old Enough' with that violinist should impress.
Even if it is Dragonforce and their fans hate you, you'll still get exposure to a (most likely) decent venue and maybe make some connections. Either way, you got cash and studio time as well so you've done pretty well.
Well man, I'll give it to you straight: I think you're pretty much screwed. I can't think what the organisers were thinking, committing a band like you to opening for Dragonforce... In fact I can't imagine what they were thinking having Dragonforce be the international band. =/
sig goes here
Well if you guys are good enough to win a battle of the bands then I'm sure people will still appreciate your music, even if it's not necessarily in the same genre as Dragonforce. And if you guys are young I'm sure they'll be impressed.
Some Judas Priest, King Diamond, Pantera, machine head, lamb of god. I dunno, heavier stuff. Consider songs by bands theyve toured with in the past, or on a original song change the solo to a more speed metal solo. COVER IRON MAIDEN!
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
ZOMG TEH DARGONFRACE!!!

Really though, just play something at least slightly technical, and the crowd would go for it. Maybe some Dream Theatre (part-serious post actually).

And tell Herman Ri I has a pic of him looking like he's holding Sam's balls at Mayhem Fest in August (somewhere...)
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Mar 29, 2009,
do a cover of a dragonforce song and play it wayyyyyy better than them!

EDIT: damn it!
Quote by geetar_man0
do a cover of a dragonforce song and play it wayyyyyy better than them!

EDIT: damn it!

YOU!!!!!!!!! i OUGHTA
I can't think of any thing you guys would want to do that would appeal to the majority of DragonForce fans.

I'd personally love to see a show with a great blues rock band followed by Dragonforce, but I don't know how much the other fans would

Maybe try some Maiden? If your singers got a high voice and you have 2 guitarists, it should work well.
That's still pretty badass that you get to open for a big name band even if it is Studioforce. Congratulations dude.
Holden Caulfield is a friend of mine.
We go drinking from time to time.
If we're lucky they'll put us on with either Eve 6 or Gavin Rossdale, I think their crowds would receive us better. As for Gavin, I actually have been precticing Glycerine to do with my acoustic folk project so maybe he'd be cool and let us play with him... we have the violin after all.

But I am thinking we should prepare for the worst and add Aces High, 22 Acacia Avenue or maybe some heavier Rush(we LOVE Rush, though we normally stay away from it in our sets) to our set for that night.

Good plan?
Seriously, do a blues-rock cover of TTFAF with a violin intro, then sing like a total fag.
And get a banjo too. So during the solo's you can honkey-tonk this s*it UP!
love is love // return to dust
Quote by Keef-is-king
If we're lucky they'll put us on with either Eve 6 or Gavin Rossdale, I think their crowds would receive us better. As for Gavin, I actually have been precticing Glycerine to do with my acoustic folk project so maybe he'd be cool and let us play with him... we have the violin after all.

But I am thinking we should prepare for the worst and add Aces High, 22 Acacia Avenue or maybe some heavier Rush(we LOVE Rush, though we normally stay away from it in our sets) to our set for that night.

Good plan?

Rush's first album, pretty much anything from there.
Quote by tancanada
Seriously, do a blues-rock cover of TTFAF with a violin intro, then sing like a total fag.

i would actually love to hear that.

And the Rush idea is actually really good. Don't change up your set too much just because you might be playing with Dragonforce. Stay true to your music, people will see that and love it.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
I'd commit suicide.

That has to be torture to open for Dragonforce. I'd go insane. But, you could walk up to herman li and make fun of him lol.
I did some research and made a BUNCH of calls, and found out that Cynic and Daath are playing with Dragonforce on their US dates, but could not find out what the special guest situation was at my local venue. If we have to play with all three of those guys we may well be royally boned.

:crosses fingers for Eve 6 or Gavin Rossdale:
Maybe play some Britney Spears or Pussycat Dolls. I'm sure Dragonforce fans would appreciate that, lol.
Quote by pwrmax
Show off your phrasing in the lead guitars instead of speed. And show emotion while playing, that stuff always trumps speed ... which is about all Dragonforce has going for them.

when they're live they hardly even have that...
either play dragonforce's songs better than them(not very hard)
or just jam with Guitar Hero controllers.
I'd be thrilled to open for ANY international touring band, even the Jonas Brothers.

The amount of exposure you'll get will be greatly beneficial (assuming your music is easy to like) and you'll be able to get some stage tips off the other band, like what to do to keep the crowd entertained and all and you might walk away with some good connections afterwards.
Quote by XianXiuHong
I'd be thrilled to open for ANY international touring band, even the Jonas Brothers.

The amount of exposure you'll get will be greatly beneficial (assuming your music is easy to like) and you'll be able to get some stage tips off the other band, like what to do to keep the crowd entertained and all and you might walk away with some good connections afterwards.

If you open for the Jonas Brothers you would be know as the fag band who opened for the gay Jonas Brothers,
Quote by Steven E
. COVER IRON MAIDEN!

this. just dont pick something overplayed like The Trooper.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
If I were you TS I'd be more worried about playing better than Dragonforce and making them cry onstage because their opener plays better than they do live. Unless Dragonforce brings a laptop you should have nothing to worry about.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
Quote by tancanada

+1 and a cookie inside of a cookie so you can win while your winning
John Myung, the bass god with nimble, asian basketweaving fingers! \.../

Quote by Sonis3
+∞

Quote by HelloHalo
Last edited by Krazzykyle at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by tancanada
Well, you'll brow Herman Ri wight out of the water I bet.

Racist edit.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Page 1 of 2