So I've been playing guitar for about a year and a half now, and it's been all acoustic. Lately, I've been listening to alot of John Mayer, and I'm really starting to get into his music. I've epic-ly phailed at trying to play some of his songs on an acoustic, so I though I'd venture into Electric territory.

My price range would be about $600 USD.
I'm mainly concerned about how the clean tones sound, just like John Mayer's songs.

I was considering a MIM or MIJ Strat., or an Epip. Les Paul...

Suggestions please!

-Richard
I'd go for the strat.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
MIJ strat FTW!

Quality that's on par with the MIA series for a good chunk less.IMO you can't go wrong with one for the styles of music you mentioned.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Schecter Hellraiser Sunset, $550, Original Floyd Rose, EMG 81TW and EMG 89 Pickups.
Ibanez S520EX, $599 ZR Tremelo, Ibanez Infinity Humbuckers, Wizard II Neck
Jackson KVX10, Liscensed Floyd Rose, 24 Jumbo Frets, HB103 Humbuckers
I would reccommend going for a used American Strat!!!!!!!
(its gonna be hard to find one for $600 but I got mine in PERFECT condition for $680 and used the extra money to add all the fixin's! See Sig)

Also ass Pr0gNut said, MIJ Strats are pretty amazing, I would pick one up if I had the money
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by iAmGuitarist
Thanks! Is there really a difference between the MIA, MIM, and MIJ Strats?

Quality and hardware.... Generally the concensus for quality is as such

MIM then MIJ then MIA
but some nice MIJ's are just as good as MIA's
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
^ i agree.. if you like john mayer, then a strat is your best bet.. you could get twangy and sparkly cleans.. with les pauls, you're kinda short of that john mayer "twang" since it has humbuckers.. it's a bit warm and mellow.. go for a strat..
MIM or MIJ? i'd say go for MIM.. MIJ i think has a little different sized parts, the bridge for example of an MIJ won't fit the MIM.. at least that's what i know, correct me if i'm wrong..
so it would be easier to custimize a MIM strat..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Quote by iAmGuitarist
Thanks! Is there really a difference between the MIA, MIM, and MIJ Strats?

Yes,there's a difference in quality and where they're made.The MIM's are hit and miss,and some use fairly low end parts,so if you go for an MIM you should try before you buy.The MIJ series are very high quality,due to Japanese craftsmanship,and many players say they're on par with the American series.The MIA strats are of course high quality,but a lot of their price is due to being made in America and the fact that they're Fenders flagship guitars.For your budget and what you want,MIJ is the way to go.

Also,don't listen to the kid who just suggest a bunch of metal guitars,those wont work nearly as well as the strat for what you want.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Japstrat. No contest.

But I'm partial to strats over pauls.... I'm also partial to other Japanese things... Metal... Martial Arts... Women...
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Last edited by strat0blaster at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Pr0gNut

Also,don't listen to the kid who just suggest a bunch of metal guitars,those wont work nearly as well as the strat for what you want.

Thank You, You saved me the time for saying that
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Uhh, is this may sound incredibly stupid, but how does on go about discerning the differences between MIM, MIJ, and MIA?

Say, if I walked into a Guitar Center...

And if it's not much of a hassle, can you guys list average prices? I'm multitasking homework and this.
it's printed on the neck whether it's made in what country.. Made in Mexico, Made in Japan, Made in USA..
Gear:

PRS SE Standard
Ibanez AEG8E-NT w/ Seymour Duncan Woody SC
Yupangco Classical Guitar
Korg AX5G
Marshall MG50DFX
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Ack! So I've done some ebaying:

http://cgi.ebay.com/89-Fender-Japan-57-Stratocaster-Hardtail-Reissue-Strat_W0QQitemZ380111176797QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item380111176797&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Uhh, what's with all the years and reissues and such?
Do they affect the guitar in anyway at all?
... If not, I'm jumping on that guitar right there. >.>
A reissue means that it's not actually from that year, but they make it to that year's specs at the factory.

I wish my strat had a maple board... I like the darkwood, but maple looks better, IMO.

It looks okay - but Ebay is sketchy. You're not always sure what you're getting is what was stated.... I'm always leery about something I can't put my hands on before buying it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by iAmGuitarist
Ack! So I've done some ebaying:

http://cgi.ebay.com/89-Fender-Japan-57-Stratocaster-Hardtail-Reissue-Strat_W0QQitemZ380111176797QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item380111176797&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

Uhh, what's with all the years and reissues and such?
Do they affect the guitar in anyway at all?
... If not, I'm jumping on that guitar right there. >.>

It's a reissue of one of their classic models,so it has vintage tinted hardware and similar specs and features to the classic model.Also,if you don't get that guitar I will hunt you down and beat you to death with a Spider III..........that's one of the nicest strats I've ever seen.

There's also a big ass dent, as evindenced by the close up pic of the back of the neck...

Just sayin... E bay makes me nervous...

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
There's also a big ass dent, as evindenced by the close up pic of the back of the neck...

Just sayin... E bay makes me nervous...

Ehhh stuff like that doesn't bother me.It doesn't affect playability or tone,people don't see it,and I'd eventually put it there anyway so a couple dents and dings don't scare me away.When I buy used the main things I look for are structural flaws like neck pocket cracks,how the electronics function,and what condition the frets are in.If the guitar passes those 3 tests then I consider it,but a clean face and mint hardware is a nice extra.

Yeah, I looked at the dent, I'm kind of looking elsewhere now (still on ebay tho').

http://cgi.ebay.com/1988-Fender-Stratocaster-Made-In-Japan-MIJ_W0QQitemZ350183197614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item350183197614&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

What about that one? The color gave me a hard-on. Haha.

Also, thanks to all you guys for helping buy my first electric guitar!
Quote by iAmGuitarist
Yeah, I looked at the dent, I'm kind of looking elsewhere now (still on ebay tho').

http://cgi.ebay.com/1988-Fender-Stratocaster-Made-In-Japan-MIJ_W0QQitemZ350183197614QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item350183197614&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

What about that one? The color gave me a hard-on. Haha.

Also, thanks to all you guys for helping buy my first electric guitar!

I like the maple board and finish of the first one better,but this one is in really nice condition and is a good deal cheaper.I'd go with whatever one you like better,because they're both nice guitars IMO.

On the Blue Strat, looking at one of the pictures, there are two black things on the headstock - what are they?
Quote by iAmGuitarist
On the Blue Strat, looking at one of the pictures, there are two black things on the headstock - what are they?

String retainers.Completely normal things on a strat.

ProgNut, dude, I just wanna thank you for all your help man!

... Off to beg my parents to get me that Blue Strat! X_x
Quote by iAmGuitarist
ProgNut, dude, I just wanna thank you for all your help man!

... Off to beg my parents to get me that Blue Strat! X_x

No problem,glad to help.If you get it be sure to post some pics of it over in the official MIJ thread,I'm sure the guys would love some more MIJ strat shots.