On May 14th (still a while off, I know), my band will be playing our first ever show at our high school battle of the bands. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm not particularly fond of making a fool of myself in front of my friends, so I figured I'd stop by and ask if anyone has any advice for concert virgin.

Some background info:
We have 4 members: Me (the Guitarist/vocalist), bass, drums, and keys.
We've decided to just do covers this year and probably write original stuff next year.
We couldn't find any other bands we all like, so we've decided to fill our 4 song (!) set with Muse songs. Of course, living in America, people who have even heard of them are few and far between, but that's life.
Our tentative song list is:
Bliss, Sunburn, Citizen Erased, Butterflies and Hurricanes.
None of them are really difficult to play at all on guitar, so that won't be an issue. I have a bit of an obsessive personality (actually a REALLY obsessive personality), and have been playing those songs over and over again for months now. I'm hoping to be prepared enough to have a little fun and not focus exclusively on making sure I'm singing and playing them right.
Last edited by TheK3vin at Mar 29, 2009,
Make sure you practice with your band ALOT so everyone can keep in time with each other.

I would play the songs in this order:

1. Sunburn
2. Citizen Erased
3. Butterflies and Hurricanes
4. Bliss

Also start off with a bit of improv if you want. Just some weird sounding things with some distortion such is the Muse custom

Quote by Våd Hamster
Find a dice and assign a number to each girl. Throw the dice.

The number you hope for at the moment you throw the dice, is the one you'll want to keep.
Last edited by thanksgiving at Mar 29, 2009,
i completely failed during a solo guitar riff, and messed up that last vocals in my very first show, i was 12, im still praised for my musical ability
Hmmm....ask to practice in the place you are playing...to get your sound right..most auditoriums have horrible acoustics
Quote by thanksgiving
Make sure you practice with your band ALOT so everyone can keep in time with each other.

I would play the songs in this order:

1. Sunburn
2. Citizen Erased
3. Butterflies and Hurricanes
4. Bliss

Also start off with a bit of improv if you want. Just some weird sounding things with some distortion such is the Muse custom

I agree with that list, other than Bliss being last, for a couple reasons. The most important being... It's not particularly spectacular. Butterflies and Hurricanes... now that has some last impression to it. Bliss seems like it would be a good song to start with because it's all just chords for me, regular old arpeggios for the keyboard, etc.

I've been experimenting a bit for a Citizen Erased > Butterflies and Hurricanes transition. For B&H we're doing a bit of a mix between the live version and the album version- the same heavy guitar progressions and distorted bass from the live version, but the piano from the album version (and of course no strings, unfortunately ). So I go from playing that last C major chord on Citizen Erased to the Dm in Butterflies and Hurricanes, both clean with flanger. This gives some good opportunity for something between them, but when I go from the C to Dm it gives me that unresolved sub-dominant sound...

(Sorry for the whole wall-of-text thing... I get carried away)
Quote by TheK3vin
On May 14th (still a while off, I know), my band will be playing our first ever show at our high school battle of the bands. I know it's not a big deal, but I'm not particularly fond of making a fool of myself in front of my friends, so I figured I'd stop by and ask if anyone has any advice for concert virgin.

Some background info:
We have 4 members: Me (the Guitarist/vocalist), bass, drums, and keys.
We've decided to just do covers this year and probably write original stuff next year.
We couldn't find any other bands we all like, so we've decided to fill our 4 song (!) set with Muse songs. Of course, living in America, people who have even heard of them are few and far between, but that's life.
Our tentative song list is:
Bliss, Sunburn, Citizen Erased, Butterflies and Hurricanes.
None of them are really difficult to play at all on guitar, so that won't be an issue. I have a bit of an obsessive personality (actually a REALLY obsessive personality), and have been playing those songs over and over again for months now. I'm hoping to be prepared enough to have a little fun and not focus exclusively on making sure I'm singing and playing them right.

Welcome to Gigging , hope it goes well. I actually don't have a bad first show story to tell , but my second gig....horrid by all accounts. Remember DO NOT just stand there and play move around , have fun. You are up there not only to play music but to entertain. Good luck!
If you've got four members and four songs why not each choose a song, otherwise you guys are gonna look a lot like muse fanboys.

Not that there's anything wrong with muse, they're awesome.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Remember DO NOT just stand there

Yeah don't freeze up, move around a little and feel the music. It may feel weird at first but after the first song it should be no problem.
My first gig I stood on stage like a statue and I hate myself for doing that.
Quote by Julz127
If you've got four members and four songs why not each choose a song, otherwise you guys are gonna look a lot like muse fanboys.

Not that there's anything wrong with muse, they're awesome.

Well, quite honestly none of us can think of anything else we'd rather play. I guess I should mention all 4 of us are total nerds- and I don't mean in the "Not going out with hot chicks just normal dudes and we like XBox hah hah look at us we're nerds" sense of the word. I mean the Scholastic Bowl, Jazz Band, Orchestra, Computer Programming, reading about Quantum Physics in our spare time nerds. We're not concerned with whether or not we're fanboys or not cool or whatever. At the same time, we fully intend on melting their faces, and looking cool while doing it. Sounds contradictory, but I promise it makes sense in my head.

Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Remember DO NOT just stand there

I'm actually more concerned with slamming on the strings so hard my pick flips out of my hand and I cut my fingers. I'm bound to look ridiculous, but I've been watching live videos of Muse a lot on YouTube trying to get a general sense of do's and don'ts when it comes to stage antics.
Last edited by TheK3vin at Mar 29, 2009,