Page 1 of 2
So I just came back from a metal gig at the local venue. It's like a 10x5 meters room with a stage.
So knowing that they enjoy having a high volume, this time I went prepared and bought earplugs on the way there. Now that I arrive home and I'm at the night's silence, I can hear the typical "beeep" sound of "your ears just got ****ed up" although I wore the earplugs all through the show.

So my question over here is: Why to play with a volume so high, that it's dangerous for your ears and it makes the show overall less enjoyable? Wouldn't it be enough to simply mask out the original sound of the drums?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Supafly1824
Are you really asking why a metal show is loud?

Seriously.

Yes. Metal can be enjoyed at lower volumes too.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

seriously?

go back to the rave scene baby

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
....w...wow.

*leaves*
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by urik
Yes. Metal can be enjoyed at lower volumes too.

then it becomes "adult contemporary"

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
So you want everyone to conform to what you like, rather then the the vast majority to be satisfied?
Demolition hands.... Got 'em!
Agreed with OP. Only a fool is dumb enough to care so little about their ears and still expect to play music the rest of their lives. Ask Paul Gilbert, he made that mistake, and now ALWAYS uses hearing protection when playing live.
Quote by Tyler Durden
seriously?

go back to the rave scene baby

... So he can have music playing even louder than in metal concerts? :/

Anyways, I kind of like the loudness in metal concerts, it kind of is more immersive and gives off more energy. It does suck after a while though, so I like to wait until a meh band comes up so I can get some air and quiet.
Hearing is for gays and people who aren't h4rdc0r3.

...I bring earplugs to every concert I attend, and wear two sets while I play drums. There's nothing more valuable to a musician than his hearing - ask anyone who's losing it.
Quote by merfsullivan
So you want everyone to conform to what you like, rather then the the vast majority to be satisfied?

Honestly, I think that the vast majority would be more conformed with having their hearing undamaged, and being able to speak without yelling at each other's ear. They simply don't speak out. Or maybe they enjoy having their ears ringing. The last time I went there without ear protection, my ears rang for 4 days.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

i agree with the ts. louder is better until it gets to a certain point. when it is too loud not only do your ears hurt but you dont hear the music as well. very loud is fine but not very very loud if you know what i mean. the relationship between loudness and goodness would look like an inverted parabola imo.
Quote by urik
Honestly, I think that the vast majority would be more conformed with having their hearing undamaged, and being able to speak without yelling at each other's ear. They simply don't speak out. Or maybe they enjoy having their ears ringing. The last time I went there without ear protection, my ears ringed for 4 days.

Ringed??

Rang*
all joking aside, yes there is such a thing as too loud

you have to judge the venue, sometimes you can do without plugs, but sometimes you just need them to avoid the ring hangover

either way, metal isnt metal without being too loud - so you gotta be prepared

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Say Ocean
I hate when people think a show being deafening loud makes them cool or whatever. It just makes everything turn to mud at a certain point and sound like dick

True, once the volume is to the point where everything is just one aural slush, I think it only makes sense to turn it down

Same goes with those people who play rap music in their cars to the point where it makes the car shake ahahah
Quote by no_thing101
i agree with the ts. louder is better until it gets to a certain point. when it is too loud not only do your ears hurt but you dont hear the music as well. very loud is fine but not very very loud if you know what i mean. the relationship between loudness and goodness would look like an inverted parabola imo.

+ 1

I like music to be loud, but not to the point where it becomes uncomfortable to listen to. My goal in life is not to be like Ludwig van Beethoven and start losing my hearing in my twenties.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
nah its just not the gig experience ya know. Having the bass rumbling, the guitar piercing your ears, the vocals making you insane and wanting to sing also, and the drums keepin up the fast paced loud sound and keepin the beat of the mosh pits uhhhhhh best feeling ever. how can anybody not enjoy a metal gig? you need the high volume!!!
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
Quote by bfredder92
nah its just not the gig experience ya know. Having the bass rumbling, the guitar piercing your ears, the vocals making you insane and wanting to sing also, and the drums keepin up the fast paced loud sound and keepin the beat of the mosh pits uhhhhhh best feeling ever. how can anybody not enjoy a metal gig? you need the high volume!!!

I did enjoy the show. In fact, it was amazing. But the volume was so high that it got to a point where it simply wasn't enjoyable. I actually shouted something at a friend's ear, really shouted, and he didn't understand a thing of what I said. It was way over the top...

Quote by ambivalent615
people in the back gotta hear it too.

and besides, slayers louder

It's a 10 meters long room. They were able to hear it just as good as I was .
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Well, in my experience Metal drummers beat the CRAP out of their drums. And in order to hear the guitars and vocals over the drums you have to turn those up, and what results is just a huge wall of sound.
I completely agree with you. Poor handling of sound is one of the main reasons why I don't go to metal/rock shows.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by stratty matt
What does a dick sound like?

squish squish squish

Which is a pretty accurate description of a typical metal mix in concert.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Protip: It can only be as quiet as the drums. That's still pretty loud. Add to that tube amps that need cranking for the best tone.

Frankly I've never been to a show so loud it "hurts my ears", they have all been comfortably loud for the venue they are in.

But no, metal shows can not be quiet.
I understand what you're saying... there's metal, then there's excessive... I think music needs to be listened to at the right volume, too quiet and you miss out on the subtle nuances that make it sound so good, but too loud and you have to cringe and can't enjoy it anymore.

Answer to your question... Valve amps need to be turned up, as you know, to get the real good tones, but when people go and waste their money on 100W heads and 2 4x12 cabs with the lowest impedance their amp can accommodate the volume needs to be higher to achieve said good tone.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
You have to be partially deaf to be able to comprehend metal

Quote by stratty matt
What does a dick sound like?

Fap, fap, fap?
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Mar 29, 2009,
Anyone who disagrees with TS deserves to lose their hearing.
I already have permanant tinatus, I'm in no way planning on attending more gigs without plugs handy. It blurs the sound a bit, and you might get funny looks from the "hardcore" types, but no gig is worth going deaf for.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
It's called a gig for a reason...it's meant to be loud.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

I've never understood the guitarists obsession with volume...It doesn't change anything about the song, it just makes it louder (obviously). It doesn't change the quality of the song in other words.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by urik
Honestly, I think that the vast majority would be more conformed with having their hearing undamaged, and being able to speak without yelling at each other's ear. They simply don't speak out. Or maybe they enjoy having their ears ringing. The last time I went there without ear protection, my ears rang for 4 days.

That's your own fault really isn't it?
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

The sheer amount of idiots that posted about how you simply cant listen to metal when its not turned up to ten is amazing.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Page 1 of 2