I recently bought new pickups for my JTB-134. I bought the DiMarzio P-bass replacement ones. My questions are:

1. They are supposed to be in the staggered formation, but will they still work in neck and bridge config?

2. My bass is hollow body, all the electronics are sealed up inside. can I just solder the old wires straight to the new pickups?

Thank you
Quote by Buddywolfe
I recently bought new pickups for my JTB-134. I bought the DiMarzio P-bass replacement ones. My questions are:

1. They are supposed to be in the staggered formation, but will they still work in neck and bridge config?

2. My bass is hollow body, all the electronics are sealed up inside. can I just solder the old wires straight to the new pickups?

Thank you

1. I'm not quite sure I understand, can you elaborate?
2. There's probably a schematic diagram which came with the pups, if not then look it up on Dimarzio's website. But I'd say that you probably can just solder the old wires up, you just want to make sure though just so you don't waste any time unsoldering them wires if you screw up for any reason.
You have to cut the lead between the two pickups. As it stands, they are wired in parrellel as one pickup, so, you just snip 'em and wire 'em up as two seperate pickups. Now, the issue I see here is: they're gonna be two small to fit under your strings and in those pickup covers.

As for the "soldering them into the existing electronics" goes, absolutely. But, if you need to, you can pull the electronics out through the F-hole and use strings tied to them to pull them back into place.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
They won't pick up all the strings evenly if you space them apart like that.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by Revelation
They won't pick up all the strings evenly if you space them apart like that.

Thats what i am afraid of. as it is the stock pickups don't pickup the E string very well.

What if I put one all the way to the bottom and the other all the way to the top? would that help?
Quote by Buddywolfe
Thats what i am afraid of. as it is the stock pickups don't pickup the E string very well.

What if I put one all the way to the bottom and the other all the way to the top? would that help?

Not really, they're meant to be in the P style arrangement, as each pickup picks up two strings, moving them apart would make 2 of the strings sound really muddy, and two sound really trebly.
Ask before buying next time TS
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
Not really, they're meant to be in the P style arrangement, as each pickup picks up two strings, moving them apart would make 2 of the strings sound really muddy, and two sound really trebly.
Ask before buying next time TS

that makes no sense. Both coils are (generally) wound the same. It'd be like putting two "mid" position pickups in the bridge and neck. The big issue would be fitting them in the pickup rings themselves and being able to pickup the strings. Each P-style coil is only big enough to pick up two strings.
Quote by Thomme
that makes no sense. Both coils are (generally) wound the same. It'd be like putting two "mid" position pickups in the bridge and neck. The big issue would be fitting them in the pickup rings themselves and being able to pickup the strings. Each P-style coil is only big enough to pick up two strings.

Thats what I meant, I thought he was talking about putting one pick up below two strings at the bridge, and one below two strings at the neck, which would sound horrible.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Quote by solid_moose
Thats what I meant, I thought he was talking about putting one pick up below two strings at the bridge, and one below two strings at the neck, which would sound horrible.

I've seen that done on old Japanese guitars. It's not as bad sounding as you'd imagine. It's kind of weird sounding, very odd... with a lot of bite on the lower 3 strings and a really smooth tone on the top 3... it works, but it's not that useful, overall.