its not by a lot, but on one side of the fretboard (on two of my guitars), the strings are like 1 or 2 mm closer to the edge of the fretboard. they start out (by the nut) an equal length from the edge, but as I go down past the third fret it seems more visible.

on one of my guitars (my godin), the treble side is closer to the edge, and its the bass side on my les paul. On the godin, it can get in the way, but it doesnt seem to on the gibson (although the low E is the only string I get fret buzz on if I lower the action so there may be a correlation)

is there something seriously wrong with the guitars, or should I stop being so OCD about it and just ignore it.

oh, and btw, on the godin, it looks like the bridge might be misplaced by a hair, because none of the strings line up with the pole pieces on the pickups. ON the Les paul, they seem to line up pretty well.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
It can be an issue depends on the guitar if you can do anything about it. Set necks like your LP or a neck thru the bridge would have to be shifted. There are a few bridges where the string spacing can be adjusted. But shifting a bridge that little bit would be a serious pain. A bolt neck many times you can loosen the screws and use a shim against the side of the neck heel or tweak the neck and tighten it to straighten things out. The low e being closer to the edge is less of an issue than the high e. Low e you only tend to play so far up on the fret board the high e you play it to the last fret so being close to the edge can affect playability.
I don't know the Godin so I'll talk LP. You could get replacement un-grooved bridge saddles and groove them to the right positions (or get your friendly luthier to do it) if its not too far out. You may have to re-align the pups a fraction, too, but that is all much easier than re-setting the neck. Also it can be done in short time compared with the neck job. It really is terrible that Gibson's quality control doesn't pick that sort of thing up, or did it develop since purchase?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

dont know I got it used. It really doesnt seem to make a playing difference to me, as its not nearly enough to make me unable to fret it even at the 22nd fret. I can play as easily as any other string all the way down the neck.

really the LP is great aside from that, the only thing that really bothers me is the action. Theres just no way you can get it as low as you can on a strat type guitar without buzz, even though the neck seems straight and I dont see any high frets... so it's taking me a little more effort to play.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Mar 29, 2009,