Page 1 of 2
I've been thinking about learning another language for a while now and i guess i just have a few questions for those of you that are bi/multi-lingual - Oh! and only if you actually LEARNT it, rather than u know 2 languages because u speak another language at home (unless u feel u can contribute something)

1. How did u learn another language? school etc.
2. How long did it take?
3. Did u consider it "hard" to learn?
4. What language/s was it? and do u think that had a bearing on any of the above factors?
I'm trying to learn Swedish, but it's kinda failing, because languages aren't meant to be self taught.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Well, I was taught English when i was 7 years old. I also learned Russian when i was 14 (native language is German, so it was not that difficult.) The best thing to do is to not get frustrated, find some sort of program (Rosetta Stone is the ****) and watch plenty of movies and television with subtitles, that way it helps you with word association and context clues. Also, vocabulary is very important. Its going to take a lot of time to learn a language so I would be sure what language you are wanting to learn.
Quote by dispreferred
I've been thinking about learning another language for a while now and i guess i just have a few questions for those of you that are bi/multi-lingual - Oh! and only if you actually LEARNT it, rather than u know 2 languages because u speak another language at home (unless u feel u can contribute something)

2. How long did it take?
4. What language/s was it? and do u think that had a bearing on any of the above factors?

1. by movies, and tv
2. a few years without any lessons
3. no
4. English, one of the easiest languages ever, easier then my native language (dutch)
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
I reckon English would be considered fairly easy unless you come from a country that doesn't use that alphabet I.E most eastern countries, when I learn Japanese at school my teacher has showed us this thing where with English a person trying to learn it could spell fish "Ghoti" I think because we have so many letters that have the same sounds.

Japanese is fairly easy to learn btw as it follows fairly simple to learn sentence rules.
Quote by destroy_techno
this girl like said it was all screemz so I like punched her in teh face, serves her right stupid bish, don't fukk with Pantera
I'm beggining to learn sign on my own
ERADICATE THIS DISEASE

Because it's killing me.
I learned french in school but as well as just learning the language you have to go to the country and immerse yourself in it as well if you really want to learn it well.
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
FINALLY!

THANK YOU!

Was waiting for ages for the penis.

Quote by guitar-guy01
i'm in ireland, we're neutral, we won't fight unless its for a day off or alcohol

Nihilism doesn't exist...
1) From the people around me, but I learnt the hard grammar at school.
2) Took around a year to be able to have conversations, a few years to be gramtically correct and understand everything that was going on.
3) I thought it was hard during stages, when I received a long list of vocab, but you just have to bite the bug and deal with it because it's worth it in the end.
4) I learnt Greek. Very useful language to learn. Helps with sciences, maths, english. . the list goes on. I think living in a Greek speaking country helped me learn it quicker.
1.Basics at school, and then I just watch tv/read books etc.
2. Like... I dont know. 1 year or so to just learn the basics,half a year if you really work hard.
3. Greek and latin is pretty hard. The rest is pretty simple.
4.german,english, little french and I understand greek and latin..
I know how to speak French, Italian, English and Spanish (obviously).

I've learnt them all by studying at a language institute somewhere in my town. I've always thought it's REALLY easy to learn multiple languages with the help of a teacher.

You could try doing it by yourself, but you will most likely fail, just as Jesstaa says. They are not meant to be self-taught.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
Last edited by Svennz at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by RU Experienced?
I want to learn German, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

You don`t want to learn German, I learn it at school and I hate it
Quote by Adrunselden
I reckon English would be considered fairly easy unless you come from a country that doesn't use that alphabet I.E most eastern countries, when I learn Japanese at school my teacher has showed us this thing where with English a person trying to learn it could spell fish "Ghoti" I think because we have so many letters that have the same sounds.

Japanese is fairly easy to learn btw as it follows fairly simple to learn sentence rules.

Ghoti is Fish in english, lets break this down, the GH in Tough make the F noise. The o in women makes an I sound. and anything that ends in TION has the TI making the sh sound... so in all parts and ways Ghoti is pronounced Fish in the english language. That is the big reason everyone ****s up the language when they first learn it.
Last edited by meonme at Mar 29, 2009,
1: I learnt English in school.
2: Well it depends to what point you want to learn the other language, and what the language is. If you want to be able to have small conversations and ask for directions and stuff like that in a fairly easy language, a year or two is going to be enough, but if you want to be able to speak it fluently and be able to actually think/dream in that language (yes, it happens :p), it can take quite a bit of time if you just learn it by yourself or even in school.
3: Not really, English is a pretty easy language.
4: See #3
I'm a Language Major in University, so yeah, that's how I studied. I want to become a translator, so I need to be pretty much fluent, so I have alot of years to go still.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
Quote by mastaofrocknrol
You don`t want to learn German, I learn it at school and I hate it

Well that's hard to determine. There's a slew of reasons why you may hate learning German in school - I've taken some classes where I find the subject matter interesting but the class itself sucks which sort of reduced my desire to learn.

Quote by SquierLolz

4. English, one of the easiest languages ever, easier then my native language (dutch)

Bahaha! Look at the stupid Dutchmen, he thinks he knows English well.

I joke of course, I'm sure you know English better than I know Spanish and I took a few years of formal classes.
i learned german in school. I recently learned some spanish on rosetta stone and basically got further with that in 2 weeks than i did in 2 years of school.
I learned german in school over a period of about three years, and it really wasnt all that difficult.

Teaching myself italian has been much more challenging.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
i sorta grew up with spanish, but I didn't really learn it till i was like 10 koz my parents and sister don't speak it(my "dad" and biological father are different)
i learned it koz i started hanging out with all my mexican cousins
I'm fluent in Spanish and Japanese, bitches.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
Quote by Gigatiran
I'm fluent in Spanish and Japanese, bitches.

my uncle gave me a bunch of his old college books for learning Japanese....

I learned how to write "fire" in kanji and called it quits
So there's been some talk of Rosetta Stone in here.

Rosetta Stone: comments? opinions? suggestions?
Quote by dispreferred

2. How long did it take?

First, learn English LEARNT is not a word.
Quote by dispreferred
So there's been some talk of Rosetta Stone in here.

Rosetta Stone: comments? opinions? suggestions?

Rosetta Stone is good, freaking expensive (you can find a torrent for it though, all 36 languages!) But it is probably one of the best language learning softwares out there
1. School
2. I've been learning a little over a year, and am reasonably proficient given the time frame
3. Not really
4. Italian. I really didn't find it very hard to get the hang of.
Official Member of the 'Fly your australian flag high club' for the really patriotic Australians: P.M Dire straits to join
Quote by salchicha123

Learned and learnt are both correct, actually.
Fender Jaguar -> Polytune -> Diamond Compressor -> Timmy -> OCD -> Big Muff -> Line 6 M9 -> Sonomatic Cheddar -> Spark boost -> Fender BDRI
1. How did u learn another language?
English: A combination from school and internet. But mainly internet.
Hebrew: Living in Israel.
2. How long did it take?
English: I've been learning English in school since third grade, and I started to use it to communicate with Israelis right after 6th grade. So mainly, to have very basic conversations, 3 years. After I began speaking in English to communicate with some people, and searching for stuff in English, a matter of months until I was quite advanced in it.
Hebrew: 6 months until I was able to hold street talks. 2 years until I was able to manage a history book.

English: No. Always had it quite easy.
Hebrew: Yeah. Quite hard.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by greyeyedfire
my uncle gave me a bunch of his old college books for learning Japanese....

I learned how to write "fire" in kanji and called it quits

Wow, still quite a way to go then.

It's not worth starting off with kanji. Most of the time you learn hiragana (basic letters for action words, nouns, etc.) then katakana (for foreign words) all while learning vocabulary and then kanji.

I'm not even close to being fluent in writing, but I study enough that I can hold my own in a conversation.
[[[The Game]]]
Quote by VictorVella

This thread proves Gigatiran is awesome, and a lot more awesome than your average awesome. I bet he even owns a duster like Dennis Reynolds.
im taking german in high school right now, and all i can say is it is a very phonetical language. almost every letter makes the same sound and certain combos of letters always make the same sound. unlike english where i before e except after c or when sounding like "ay" as in neighbor or way, and when the clock is an even hour and no clouds in the sky only in July.
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Quote by Old Lady
I'm trying to learn Danish simply becasuse DANISH GIRLS ARE HOT.

swedish too. i hear they are very similar languages, so you win both ways!
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Quote by dispreferred
only if you actually LEARNT it

I think you should stick to English first.
Once you have that down, then move to another language.
~ Drew ♀
Tampa Bay Lightning! <3
Quote by Liberation

Name any poster on UG with a more extensive hockey knowledge than myself

Quote by rock_star77

MandoDrew(If she could ever get the glazed 'I love Vinny' look out of her eyes)
Quote by Svennz
Learned and learnt are both correct, actually.

well don't I feel like an idiot and an asshole
Quote by salchicha123

Yes it is. Its the perfect tense of the verb to learn.

---

I learnt French fairly successfully at school but then I had nobody to speak to in french so I have forgotten a lot of it. I am also taking German lessons now at uni. (infact I'm procrastinating writing a letter to an imaginary person in German right now!)

The difficulty depends on the language and your willingness to learn. As someone who has learnt both Finnish and German, learning a Germanic language is MUCH easier if you already speak one, so Dutch, German and English are mutually easy to grasp, as well as Danish, Swedish and Norwegian to a lesser extent. Learning something like Japanese or Finnish takes a lot more effort as everything is new.
My source is being a language nerd and Linguistics undergraduate student, by the way.
Last edited by Mistress_Ibanez at Mar 30, 2009,
1. I take french at grade 11 level right now
2. this is my 8th year
3. not at all
4. French. To be honest, I think it's ridiculous that after 8 years, I can't be considered even half-ass fluent in speaking. It takes far too long to learn a language at day-school. I DO understand french very well, and my grammar is much better than my speaking. I learned bits of Spanish by reading kid's books and watching familiar movies with subtitles. The movie thing is /really/ helpful
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yes it is. Its the perfect tense of the verb to learn.

Learnt is the British way of writing it, North Americans write it learned.

Glad to see you needed a French guy to clarify that...
Page 1 of 2