Does neck wood have to be quartersawn? I understand that using quartersawn makes it stronger, but if it's a wood like Bocote or Ziricote, both of which are really stiff and hard, is it necessary to be quartersawn, or can it just be straight sawn?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I dont think it has to be, but quartersawn necks are much less prone to twisting or warping. You can have a flatsawn neck because the trussrod in the neck keeps it strong, but its better to have a quartersawn neck, just for the extra stability.
quartersawn, flatsawn, slab cut whatever, they can all be used for necks but the quarter sawn is more stable
Some prefer the stiffness of quarter sawn some like the way a flat sawn neck plays. If its laminated then not really an issue.
I believe Pedulla uses flatsawn for their Rapture basses.

like that one.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The best thing you can do to ensure stability is to make a 3-5 piece neck with opposed grain. That will be more stable than a 1-piece using the same wood, regardless of whether it's flatsawn or quartersawn.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quarted of flat sawn, doesnt matter too much, quarter is better, but like tackle said if your laminating its a non issue.

Fender I think use one peice flat sawn necks.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man