I noticed when playing that from the ~~8th to ~~13th frets, the actions seems higher than normal. I looked down my neck, and it seems to have a concave bend to it. I assume this isn't normal, right? It's an 08 MiM Strat. Is this something the Trus rod would fix? If it is, I'm having a pro do it... I tried to get good pics, hope you can see what I'm seeing. Thanks for all the input.

yes
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
adjusting your truss rod. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though.
"I play guitar" - Me
is it a bolt on? If so, replace it. If not, either see what a professional can do. If not, you're screwed.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
obviously its a bolt on you can see the plate on the bottom oh and i have a question about this as well how does the neck bend is it to do with general use or is it just tightening thick strings to tight??
Quote by larrytheguitar
is it a bolt on? If so, replace it. If not, either see what a professional can do. If not, you're screwed.

I wouldn't do it myself... Yes, it's a bolt on.

Quote by Soulinfector
adjusting your truss rod. I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself though.

Wtf? Is it really that serious? I mean, it's a 6 month old Strat, I don't want to spend $100 for a new neck...

Edit: Regarding thick strings, it's had .09s it's whole life, just put some 10s on.
Last edited by JustinHorne at Mar 29, 2009,
hey dude with the bent neck does it make your guitar sound any diffrent or not yet??
Quote by dukeofmetal
hey dude with the bent neck does it make your guitar sound any diffrent or not yet??

No, it doesn't, it's just that the action feels really high there.
Quote by dukeofmetal

Probably not, and it won't ever either.
Also, replacing the neck is way too serious and furthermore, not even needed; What were you thinking, advising that?

TS, this a general setup question. You're going to have to measure the neck bow, and see how and how much adjustments it needs. Check out the interwebz or this site for guides. If you can't find it, wait for Jenny to come along and post her usual step by step guide on how to do this.

To elaborate, a truss rod adjustment really isn't that big of a deal as people make it seem.
well i dont know much aboot that sorta stuff but i would guess over time it would get worse and effect the sound so i guess its good your gona get it looked at
Quote by dukeofmetal
well i dont know much aboot that sorta stuff but i would guess over time it would get worse and effect the sound so i guess its good your gona get it looked at

It won't.

Seriously. It only makes the guitar less comfortable.
Quote by Y00p
Probably not, and it won't ever either.
Also, replacing the neck is way too serious and furthermore, not even needed; What were you thinking, advising that?

TS, this a general setup question. You're going to have to measure the neck bow, and see how and how much adjustments it needs. Check out the interwebz or this site for guides. If you can't find it, wait for Jenny to come along and post her usual step by step guide on how to do this.

To elaborate, a truss rod adjustment really isn't that big of a deal as people make it seem.

Quote by Y00p
Seriously. It only makes the guitar less comfortable.

Ok, well, that's good.

I was seriously worried for a second there. I certainly didn't want to have to buy a new neck on what is, basically, a new guitar. Also, it didn't make sense to me that a bent neck immediately meant I needed to replace it, as I thought that's what the truss rod was for.

Either way, due to my work schedule and music store schedule, I'm not able to take my guitar to the ship until next Saturday. I'll do that then though, and post back here with their results.
Is it just me or what but I don't see too much wrong in either pic? Nothing that can't be sorted out rather quickly in any case. Maybe the pics aren't too clear but it doesn't look as though I'm seeing what you guys are seeing. Especially the ones who are suggesting changing the neck etc.

TS - You need to measure the neck relief. To do this, hold down the bottom E at the first and last fret and measure the gap between the top of the fret wire at the 8th fret to the string. Ideally you should just be able to get a credit card under there. Use a capo on the first, it'll be easier.

There are exact measurements that Fender recommend and if you bought the guitar new you may have a Fender handbook? All the exact measurements are in there or also on their website, but using a credit card is an acceptable way to go if you don't have feeler guages or the like.

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

Also adjusting the truss rod isn't that difficult but if you're not completely happy with doing it after reading the instructions on their website then have a tech do it. If nothing else he/she will be able to put your mind at rest that there's nothing wrong with your guitar.

Good luck.
+1

you can see some bow. but you cant tell until you hold the first and last fret, where the neck and body meet, and check out the middle neck gap.

if more than a credit card fits in that spot, then you can use a 1/4 turn Clockwise.
dont force the turn, and leave it in tune while it settles.

remeasure and post back.

also, +1 on it being a part of owning guitars.
it's not that hard.

the green link in my sig, first post, explains this again.

it's always at the top of the page in case you forget.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Weather also affects how the neck bows as well.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Just a little update...
So after reading about how to adjust the truss rod, and knowing I had to take it to a shop anyway, I figured I'd go ahead and give adjusting it myself a try.
I eventually ended up giving it about a half of a turn. Fretted at the first and 14th frets, there used to be a sizable gap. Now, there is juuust enough of a gap to not be touching when fretted at 1 and 14.

And...

It plays SOOO much nicer. The action is much more consistant, looking down the neck appears straight, and, for some reason, even doing things like barres is easier, everything just lays down smothely and evenly, all over the neck.

I might still take it in just to have it looked at, but it feels way better as it is. Thanks for the advice guys.
Quote by JustinHorne
Just a little update...
So after reading about how to adjust the truss rod, and knowing I had to take it to a shop anyway, I figured I'd go ahead and give adjusting it myself a try.
I eventually ended up giving it about a half of a turn. Fretted at the first and 14th frets, there used to be a sizable gap. Now, there is juuust enough of a gap to not be touching when fretted at 1 and 14.

And...

It plays SOOO much nicer. The action is much more consistant, looking down the neck appears straight, and, for some reason, even doing things like barres is easier, everything just lays down smothely and evenly, all over the neck.

I might still take it in just to have it looked at, but it feels way better as it is. Thanks for the advice guys.

Good. You're now much more on instrumentalist than before; you know what your instrument does, why it does it and how to fix it. Kudo's!

And, if you take it in to get it looked at, only get it looked at. If something appears to be wrong with it ask them what it is, post back and people here will tell you how to do it yourself.