Hey, i tried asking in the bugera militia thread but i think it got swallowed.

Basically just recently my cleans have gone to hell. It sounds like there is a very slight overdrive on them or something. They just aren't clean anymore. Now i know its not my guitar, gear or leads, as if i run it through a bass amp or my pa or my mates amp... its fine.

Could this be a preamp/power tube problem? Maybe microphonic?

Also a couple of times the amp has been turned off by the power before the standby and its made this nasty ass crackling popping sound that does not sound good in the slightest. And before i get flamed, yes i did it once and that was by accident, i know how to work a tube amp.

It happens at low levels too but if it helps my settings are

master 6
clean 2
crunch 4
lead 3-4

Also does anyone know how to put a pad on the clean channel... im sick of it being so much louder than my gain channels because it has more headroom.
either a tube is going bad or one of your pedals is causing it or one of your cables, unless your speakers are giving up...could be many things, start by trying differetn cables and making sure its not your pedals, after that tap on the tubes with a pencil eraser and check those.
i had this happen to me once and realised it was my tonebone hot british's switch that was kinda stuck half on...it was weird
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
I'll double check my pedals, but if memory serves it happened when i went direct with two different leads. My cables are high quality too.. well my main one is, klotz lagrange premium with neutrik np2c connectors... the other one wasnt but hey its still pretty good.

Speakers could definately be it... I'll try it out
Last edited by doommaker at Mar 29, 2009,
Could be your tubes, this happens to me because of my cab though. Are the speakers still good? (stack or combo?)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
sounds like a speaker problem.
But might be the tube going bad.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Most people dont realise that speakers have to be played in or the voice coils can break. Iv seen it plenty with 12" speakers, mostly subs though where the owner gets a bit volume happy. the same is true of all speakers although the bigger the speaker the easier it is to mess them up.

I try to run a source at low levels for 24hours at least before cranking the volume up when i got my Engl cab I basically played at tv levels for a couple of hours a day for 2 weeks before i cranked it. It was very hard as my marshall sounds like ass at low volumes.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
you might want to a/b it against the same amp in a store so you can see if there's a problem.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by doommaker

Also does anyone know how to put a pad on the clean channel... im sick of it being so much louder than my gain channels because it has more headroom.

why dont you just lower the volume for the clean channel, or raise the volume for the gain channel?
If its the cab, its coz ive screwed it, i've been playing it for 6 months at that volume and its only now started to do this, it was clean before for 6 months now its not.

And the reason i don't like lowering the volume on cleans and raising for gains is because the cleans sound weak when theyre at 1 or 2.
I would swap out the V1 preamp tube. Easy troubleshoot and fix.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
If you have been playing the cab for that amount of time at those volumes id doubt isa voice coil issue as those tend to make themselves known within a week or 2. could be a ripped cone I suppose but that would be obvious to the eye.

If it were me is get that to a shop and try it on another cab and failing that give Van Noords advice a go as a single preamp tube is cheap.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by doommaker
How does all that preamp tube stuff work, i mean there is one next to the power tubes and then 3 or 4 in the front. Whats happening?
The one next to the power tubes is the V4 phase invertor. It drives the poweramp.
The three in front each have there own job as well. V1 is closest to the input jack, it is the amps input tube. The one next to it is the V2 preamp tube and it's for the two gain channels. The next one is the V3 and it is the preamp output tube.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
1. Check your connenctions, possibly even inside the chasis. Good>
2. Check the bias. You could be getting crossover distortion. Good>
3. As mentioned check your pre amp tubes. I believe there is one dedicated for clean, send a PM to Bloodshed he'll tell you exactly.