hi i am planning to put emgs into my les paul but i was wondering if anyone knew if it would make a difference if i put the emg 81 in first and then maybe got an 85 a month later ?
Thanks =)
you mean like put an 81 in the bridge and then a month later add a 85 to the neck?

or

put a 81 in the bridge and a month later change that for an 81

either way its fine
The thing i was most worried about though was will i have enough room for two batteries?
If you put an 81 in the bridge then you have to take out the neck pickup unless that is active too.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
You can mix active and passive pickups. Below is some info copied from EMG's website that explains it.

This is from EMG's website:
Can I mix EMGs with passive pickups?
It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups.
There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

1.Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls.
The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's.
The passive pickups, however, will work fine.
If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative.
Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K or 500k pots for the passive pickup.
This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects,
but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

2.Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's.
The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

3.This is the best alternative.
Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this.
With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's.
The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone
of the passive pickups.
You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc.
For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar.

Since you Les Paul has 2 volume and 2 tone controls you can use the stock pot 500K pots for the stock neck pickup and the new 25K pots (that come with new EMG's) for the EMG 81. The bad thing about doing it this way is you can't use both pickups at the same time because the output of the passive pickup will be alot lower than the EMG. Of course you will need to install the stereo jack that comes with EMG's so you can power the 81. I think this would be the easiest way to do it until you can get the other EMG.
They don't have to both be active. If you have separate volume pots for each pickup the Neck will still sound normal. If you have a master volume, just leave the original volume control in until you change the Neck pickup or else the 25k pot for the EMG will make the passive pickup sound like mud.

In either case, the passive Neck pickup won't have much contribution when you use both pickups together.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
+1 to ZWF
+1 to SYK

Also, why do we get a few EMG threads per day, yet people can seem to deal with installing other-branded passive pickups?