we're using 4 mics to record a drum kit, we want it loud, punchy, and edgy
can anyone help me with mic placement and mixing?
we've got a 12 input mixer so we'll easily be able to get a good sound from each mic
what levels should i be looking at for each part of the kit? and any tips for panning and eq?

also what order should i mix the drums? like, kick first, then snare etc...
which instruments should i record after the drums? is it a good idea to record the rhythm guitar and the bass with the drums at the same time - and if so, should we re-record them afterwards?

thanks for any help
usually the recording process goes like this.
The drummer first records the drums but he has to know the song perfectly.
Then the bassist records the bass, then rhythm guitar, then lead guitar, then lead vocals, then back vocals and then if you have something else.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
It all depends on the sound you want, the kind of music you play. Lately I've been getting great results with a single drum mic. Since you have four mics I'd suggest using two of them as overheads to record the cymbals and perhaps toms with, one mic for the bassdrum, and one for the snaredrum. Specific mic placement all depends on the exact kit you have though.

I'm personally a big fan of live recordings, so I would do that anyway. You could add some overdubs here and there, but nothing beats the sound of a live recording, hearing the interaction between the musicians. Metallica's black album had the drums recorded with the others in the room playing, but they were re-recorded later on. Queens of the Stone Age (at least on Songs for the Deaf, with Dave Grohl on drums) recorded drums and guitars together (maybe bass too, can't remember) and added vocals later on.

And might I add, Google is your friend. Look around for drum micing and recording techniques.
Last edited by SlowerHand at Mar 29, 2009,
What mics do you have? different mics respond differently to diffrent frequencies. Saying as your only using 4 mics id say put 1 inside the kick drum, 1 on the snare but in a position so it ges the hihat a well, 1 over the toms and 1 hanging over the drumkit to pick up the cymbals and the general ambience of the kit. As fior levels exact levels you will have to decide after you've recorde teh drums but id say set the levels so that you can hear every peice of the kit, ie nothing is drowned out by another peice. When your mixing the drums you should kind of do it all at once but start with the kick, I say this as everything will be playing at the same time, and you will bneed to adjust and readjsut the settings so that they all balance together, rather than individually. After you've done the drums id say do bass and rythm then lead nad finally vocals if there r ne...hope that helps
what mic's do you have for drum recording
research the Glynn Johns drum mic technique, that uses 4 mics, one on the snare, one on the bass drum and two overhead style mics postioned equal distance away from the snare forming a right angle at the snare, one is meant to catch the tom sound the other is meant to catch snare and hi hat,
its kinda hard to explain on here but if you look it up you should get the idea