Alright UG, I am humbly asking for your help in designing my pedalboard. Keep in mind, it doesnt matter what order the pedals are in in the pedalboard as that will not have a lot to do with the actual order in the chain. What I need is for the board to be efficient and useable (not to long, and at least two levels for ease in reaching every pedal).

ok so here's the list:

-boss ds-2
-EHX little big muff
-EHX english muff'n
-Proco RAT
-boss dm-3
-line 6 fm4
-line 6 mm4
-Wilson Effects Ten Spot Wah
-MXR Phase 90
-boss RC-50
-Digitech IPS 33b (rack unit, but id like to have it somehow in the pedalboard)
-footswitch for 33b
-Marshall channel footswitch
-Volume pedal
-Expression pedal for 33b (whammy)
-Expression pedal for mm4
-expression pedal for fm4
-sabine stx1100 tuner

alright so here are some of the issues:

-I also sing, so I want to be able to access most of my pedals while still at the mic. Obviously its not realistic to expect to reach all of my pedals but Im thinking I need to at least be able to reach most expression pedals as well as my rc-50 for loop recording.

-I really have a hard time pressing pedals if they're all in the same level one behind the other, so I definitely need two levels.

-I wanna have the rc-50 front and center, but also wanna have my expression/wah/whammy pedals in the center, would it be ok to put them in the second level? Ive never seen a pedalboard with expression pedals inthe second level, are they hard to use this way?

-im thinking of building a mini rack kinda thing on the pedalboard only for the digitech 33b, any suggestions for how to do this would be greatly appreciated

So please, anybody that has experience with making a good pedalboard, can you give me some tips or some layouts that may work for me? get creative UG!

P.S: dont know if this is ok but I already posted this thread in guitar gear and accessories, I just realized later this might be the right place for it.
Last edited by rnelson at Mar 29, 2009,
solution: wait for the RP1000 or 5000 I think it is to come out, buy it, and it has all that you'll need plus more, just keep some of your expression pedals
If you really look at my list, there's not THAT much on there. Also If anyone is wondering, itsnot my 'dream' or proposed setup those are the pedals I have now with the exception of the mm4, which Im getting in a few weeks.

The reason I say theres not that much on there is this, 4 of them are dirt pedals, I just have them all dialed in for different soundsm and some of them go before or after wah, giving me a lot of versatility. Also, A LOT of them are footswitches and expression pedals, in reality,all I have is:

dirt
delay
phaser
fm4
mm4
whammy
rc-50
wah

I just like versatility and expression pedals.

also, I dont like multi-effects, you cant tweak knobs on the fly or decide which pedals go in which order, to me thats an immediate no-no.

anybody have any good suggestions?
Last edited by rnelson at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by sstony
With all those pedals you´ll be a dancer also !!!!!!!!!!!!

I already dance...

please dont post the EXACT same thread in a different subforum just because yours went past the first pages.

i knew i had dejavu for a second.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Sell the MM4 and FM4 and buy a M13.. Then you have the MM€ and FM4 all in one, plus delay, reverb and more. AND, you can use one expresion pedal..
Quote by conor1148

please dont post the EXACT same thread in a different subforum just because yours went past the first pages.

i knew i had dejavu for a second.

I didnt do it because it went past the first pages, I just realized it wasnt in the appropriate forum. After all I want to build a pedalboard, I felt it was appropriate to place the thread in the gear BUILDING customizing thread. If anything the first one was out of place, for that I do apologize.
uhhm... only you would know what works best for you.

anyway put the stuff you use a lot in the front, stuff you use rarely on the 2nd level in the back. hide the mm4 under the 2nd level with enough of it sticking out so you can hit the buttoms. either ditch all the distortion pedals and use the fm4 or vice-versa. having all those on there is overkill.
Quote by rnelson
I didnt do it because it went past the first pages, I just realized it wasnt in the appropriate forum. After all I want to build a pedalboard, I felt it was appropriate to place the thread in the gear BUILDING customizing thread. If anything the first one was out of place, for that I do apologize.

its fine man, i came out a little too harsh anyways.
But next time, i would probably report it to be moved (not reported to be locked/banned! thats totally different, dont get it confused!)

do you want me to find some more pictures from that pedal board i posted in your last thread? there were some freakin SWEET boards.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
ok, well i personally wouldnt stick the expression pedals on the top layer, that just doest seem to work as well in my head. ive got two ideas for ways to do it though.

idea 1:
stick the rc-50 front and center, then put 2 expression pedals to the left, and 3 to the right. then stick the tuner upper level right corner, followed by the dirt pedals to its immediate left. then bottom left would be the footswitches for the 33b and amp. then upper middle-left would be the MM4 and FM4, followed by the phaser and delay all the way left. didnt really look at dimensions, so they might not all fix exactly like that, but thats the basic idea.
then you could build a 3rd level that is tilted back for the rack unit, with the tilt allowing you to easily see and acess the controls/face.

idea 2:
build 3 separatish boards (or on hinge type thigns) so you can angle two to eaither side of you, kinda like /--\. the middle one would be your RC-50 with the dirt pedals on a top layer, and the tuner and footswitches on there as well most likely (where they fit depending on size). then stick all the expression pedals on the right board (one layer) and the modulation stuff on the left board. id stuck the the MM4 and phaser on one level and then the FM-4 and delay on the other. then once again do the third level thing for the rack unit on the middle board.
Here are some arrangement options:

1. alphabetically - ascending from A to Z
2. size - smallest to largest
3. weight - lightest to heaviest
4. shiny-ness - from most rusty to most shiny
5. number of letters in name - fewest to most
6. arranged by color - lightest to darkest
7. random distribution - blindfold your girlfriend or wife and have her pick pedals one at a time
8. clean to dirty (tonewise)

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there are other optins.
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Quote by noisefarmer
uhhm... only you would know what works best for you.

anyway put the stuff you use a lot in the front, stuff you use rarely on the 2nd level in the back. hide the mm4 under the 2nd level with enough of it sticking out so you can hit the buttoms. either ditch all the distortion pedals and use the fm4 or vice-versa. having all those on there is overkill.

the fm4 is not a distortion modeler, its a synth modeler. I think you might be confusing it with the dm4. But I agree that having my 4 dist stompboxes + the dm4 would be lunacy (if 4 stompboxes for dirt is not lunacy already)

I like your ideas jof1029, those are pretty much a couple of concepts I have in mind. The angled one seems like it could work but I gotta get home and measure the dimensions and everything.

Also, does anybody think expression/wah pedals can work on a top level? has anybody tried it, or is ti just too weird and uncomfortable, because this can really take care of alot of my problems.

The idea to hide the line 6 pedals so that only the switches are visible can really save some space, but then how would I tweak the knobs??
Quote by rnelson
the fm4 is not a distortion modeler, its a synth modeler. I think you might be confusing it with the dm4. But I agree that having my 4 dist stompboxes + the dm4 would be lunacy (if 4 stompboxes for dirt is not lunacy already)

I like your ideas jof1029, those are pretty much a couple of concepts I have in mind. The angled one seems like it could work but I gotta get home and measure the dimensions and everything.

Also, does anybody think expression/wah pedals can work on a top level? has anybody tried it, or is ti just too weird and uncomfortable, because this can really take care of alot of my problems.

The idea to hide the line 6 pedals so that only the switches are visible can really save some space, but then how would I tweak the knobs??

the fm4 is programmable, make your sounds before going on stage and just switch through

+ do you really need that many pedals? heck i play with my mesa boogie v twin and my setup is

guitar-tunerpedal-amp

try simplifying dont hide bad skills behind good pedals
Quote by ferguson911
the fm4 is programmable, make your sounds before going on stage and just switch through

+ do you really need that many pedals? heck i play with my mesa boogie v twin and my setup is

guitar-tunerpedal-amp

try simplifying dont hide bad skills behind good pedals

I obviously dont need any of the pedals, I just like 'em. Most of the time I play my guitar cleanly through my amp and add distortion intermittently. The pedals I use the most are the muff'n and my wah pretty much. But I play such a wide variety of music that its helpful to have all those different flavors to add to the music. I don't think it's right to assume that people always hide their bad skills behind their pedals, its a bit stereotipical really but not always true. In my case I really just like coming up with new sounds that I can use musically, getting all kinds of weird noises is fine, but what I enjoy is applying them to music. My array of pedals allows me to do this when im in the mood, if not I feel like I am not moving forward, just stuck in the same old sounds that have already been done time and time again. Also, I enjoy electronic music, but find more joy in trying to make my guitar sound like a synth than actually playing a synth (+ I can already play guitar, so its convenient too)

Also, yeah I have some of my settings programmed into the line 6 stompboxes but presets are only good when your playing a song for which the preset is made for.
Otherwise your just putting a limit on what a pedal can do by just settling with a couple of tones you found.

Ok rant over, carry on....
well he fm4 is the setup you gave it

i say make a smaller pedal board, with barebone minimum and add waht you need whn you need it

maybe sell rackmount and get whammy in pedal form? get rid of ds-1/
i dont think getting a smaller pedalboard is really necessary just because you/ dont think he needs that many pedals. i dont see any problem with having a lot of pedals if they all get used and all produce something unique. the idea here is to come up with a way to be able to group these pedals in a way that is easy to use.

as for the expression pedals on the second tier, i find it uncomfortable. try this to see what you think: stick a couple of expression pedals on top of a few textbooks or something so its about the same height as it would be. then try using them. if you feel like its fine, then it works for you. the only other thing is that if the top level is on a slant (as i would do) then the rocking motion might be a little wierd because its not flat like you are used to.
i dont think getting a smaller pedalboard is really necessary just because you/ dont think he needs that many pedals. i dont see any problem with having a lot of pedals if they all get used and all produce something unique. the idea here is to come up with a way to be able to group these pedals in a way that is easy to use.

as for the expression pedals on the second tier, i find it uncomfortable. try this to see what you think: stick a couple of expression pedals on top of a few textbooks or something so its about the same height as it would be. then try using them. if you feel like its fine, then it works for you. the only other thing is that if the top level is on a slant (as i would do) then the rocking motion might be a little wierd because its not flat like you are used to.

Thanks man, really appreciate the help. (and the support of a big pedalboard )

I did try the textbook thing and I must say, i still find it pretty comfy. I do think the second level will be slanted though so I gotta watch out for that. I think Im just gonna go with the RC-50 front and center, and then some of the expression pedals on second level-center, with may be 2 surrounding the rc-50 in the bottom.

I might go with the slightly 'C' shaped board for easy reach of some pedals.

Nothing's final so if there are any more suggestions, keep 'em coming.

hold back some of the pedal hate though...it makes me sad....