Hey UG,

I'm trying to find a really good practice routine that can take my playing to the next level. Right now I feel that I am an intermediate guitarist but really want to get to the advanced level.
The long term goal is to be able to play anything I want. I'm not interested in writing my own stuff right now anyways after 3 years.

The things I want to advance are:
-Sweep Picking
-Alternate Picking
-Economy
And anything else you can think of that would take me to the next level.

I want a routine that will last 2-3 hours.
And I play metal, and classic rock. btw. So bending is an important too I suppose
Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit:I have a metronome.
TBH economy picking seems to be really pointless, it adds an extra stroke to every uneven NPS string skip that alternate picking doesn't have.
firstly work on your alt picking with the metronome and get it so its perfectly in time and clear, then do the same with economy picking and then sweeping then work on your phrasing.

Do loads of work on phrasing its so important if you want to make that step from intermediate to advanced
with your practice routine you need to cover everything possible to play at a advanced level

like my practice routine looks like this when i have all the time i need
1)warm up- play slowly for about 10-15 mins then use the metronome to bring you up slowly using a simple pentatonic or diatonic pattern chromatics also work well here
2)alternate picking practice-pick 5 to 6 picking exercises and work on them(for this portion i prefer john petruccis rock discipline dvd using the scale fragments 3,4,7,8,12,13 and 17)
break for about 15 mins
3)sweeps- start with 3 string sweeps and work up to 5 string sweeps (practice all possible shapes during this,you dont want to be able to only play one shape well while the others are subpar now do you?)
break for 10-15mins
4)legato- simple patterns using nothing but legato using finger combinations (3,4,3,1 or 2,4,2,1 ) practice your scales in legato fashion as well
break cause legato can tire out your hands real quick
5)tapping-this is optional but right now im trying to nail some MAB or romeo influenced string skip tapping
6)is also optional(if im feeling up to it i will sometimes work on some more alternate picking using some exercises from troy stetina's book speed mechanics for lead guitar for example
break
7) this is where you would work on anything your trying to learn solo or song or both just dont over do it for example im trying to play jeff loomis' solo to jato unit right now so i will practice it for about 30mins- 45 mins dependent upon how i feel
last but not least
theory -work on theory for about 20-30 mins
and there you go a practice routine that covers many aspects of the metal /rock techniques

i hope this has helped
remember to take breaks after every portion of the routine or whenever needed ,breaks are important as the exercises
Thanks a lot metal society that gives me a great idea of where i need to start!
Don't try to learn alternate AND economy. You'll just screw yourself in the long run. I recommend sticking to strict alternate picking but there are some guys like Guthrie Govan who economy pick extremely well.
I'd recommend always warming up for half and hour at least by doing chromatics, there is also some really good warm up exercises in john petrucci's Rock Discipline instructional. When focusing on getting better at a technique, in my opinion, its easier and funner to learn songs that are both a song and an exercise in one, if you know what i mean. For example to better your alternate picking, the Glass Prison arpeggios by Dream Theater would be perfect. For your sweeps look to some Nevermore stuff like the "This Goddless Endeavor" sweeps. And for your economy picking i recommend checking out Frank Gambale's instructional "Monster licks and speed picking." hope i helped
Hi there
Quote by JBecker=SHREDDA
I'd recommend always warming up for half and hour at least by doing chromatics, there is also some really good warm up exercises in john petrucci's Rock Discipline instructional. When focusing on getting better at a technique, in my opinion, its easier and funner to learn songs that are both a song and an exercise in one, if you know what i mean. For example to better your alternate picking, the Glass Prison arpeggios by Dream Theater would be perfect. For your sweeps look to some Nevermore stuff like the "This Goddless Endeavor" sweeps. And for your economy picking i recommend checking out Frank Gambale's instructional "Monster licks and speed picking." hope i helped

yeah man. I agree with the songs that are exercise bit. that would make it more fun.
thanks for your advice.