Hey guys, I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ stock pickups. I also use a SpiderValve212. Ive been curious about changing pickups but I have some questions first

1- I know people bash Line 6's but I honestly love my SpiderValve. Either people are wrong about it or I just have a different idea on tone lol. Anyways, would spending so much money on new pickups even be worth it with my amp? Will I have that much of a difference in sound with different pickups while using my current gear?

2- Im not sure which types of pickups I should go for. Versitility is a good thing. Good cleans are VERY important to me. and as for distortion, I care more about a nice smooth, warm, lead tone than a rhythm distortion.

Thanks alot! Im always skeptical on spending money so I gotta make sure Im getting what I want
1- While many bash the Spider series including the Valve to an extent, they are pretty good amps. Pickups would probably do alot to give you some clarity that your amp has (when I played one) and could smooth your tone out.

2- I would take a look at some Rockfield pickups for a budget. I have the SWV set and they sound great through my rig. You should also look at a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck.
Thank you sir I'll check those out.

Another question actually. I pretty much barely use the Treble selection on my toggle switch (im not sure if thats the bridge or neck pickup) because I dont prefer the very bright sounds. I enjoy thicker, darker tones which is why I keep the toggle switch in the middle for cleans and on the rhythm selection for leads. If I get new pickups will one of them still be very bright? or does the type of pickup determine that
The valve ain't (sic) bad for a practice amp. You probably could have gotten a "better" amp in that price range, but whatever. Changing pickups won't drastically effect your tone, but if you get a nice set of pups you might be able to get a little more clarity with your sound which would lend to all of those things you mentioned.

Your second question is partially pickups and partially the pots you are using. You can get mellower pups, or you can change the values on your pots which will take away some of the high end. If I were you I'd just roll of the tone a little. It'll leave you with a more flexible guitar if you ever do want that brightness.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 29, 2009,
The treble is the bridge pickup. You can get warmer pickups that will make it not as bright, but the purpose of the bridge position is brightness and clarity. You coul adjust the tone knob on the bridge pikcup to balance out the tone.
Allright thanks alot guys.

and yeah Artemis, the spidervalve212 is normally $830 but I snagged a new one for $450 due to a local shop being run out of business

So again, thanks for your advice guys
Quote by Gmarkey
Allright thanks alot guys.

and yeah Artemis, the spidervalve212 is normally $830 but I snagged a new one for $450 due to a local shop being run out of business

So again, thanks for your advice guys

See, now that's not a bad deal.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I read that the Line 6 Valve amps are quite reasonable. Never used or heard one as they are not sold here.
The stock pups on Epi LP;s come in for a lot of criticism and the couple I've played sounded pretty dull after my Gibsons.
DiMarzio's site has audio of their range which may give a clue. I'd have a listen to the Breed and PAF's for the neck. Possible a Super Distort and D Activator for the bridge. But that's my taste and I have had a guitar with Super/PAF combination so I might be a bit biased.
Guys here Like Seymour Duncans but I've no experience so shouldn't comment.
I have used an ancient Bill Lawrence L500 which has better clarity and definition than the Super Distort. Check them out at Wilde Pickups which is the new name for them.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Hey, I have a Spider Valve also, and i love the sound my 496r and 500t put out.... if you're willing to spend the extra cash, they're great pickups!!! if you're on a budget get the Rockfield SWC for the bridge and SWV for the neck. Excellent tone for like 60 a pup.... amazing