Hi Guyz.

I need help in choosing the appropriate electric guitar in playing these genres:

Pop punk
power pop
emo
Alternative Rock

Paramore and Fall Out Boy plays these genres.

Which do you prefer most in playing those genres? Fender HSS or SSS?

I will appreciate having other brand recommendations.

Tnx.
Get a guitar which is used by Paramore's or Fall Out Boys guitarists.

BTW hasn't FOB been elected the worst band of the year for like two times in a row?
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
None of those really scream for a particular type of guitar, though most of the guitars I see in those genres are Fender 72 deluxe tele's. You could really get away with either of those fender styles. The HSS might give you a little more versatility, but Fender's buckers aren't too nice. I'd get a SSS and replace the bridge pup with a hot rail or something. That's if you want a Fender. Go to your local store and play some guitars.

What's really more important is finding a guitar you like the feel of.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
you can try and find the guitar players guitars evt. on wikipedia or something like that
Let's see.

Pop Punk:
Example: blink-182
Tom DeLonge used a single pickup Fender Stratocaster with a Seymour Duncan Invader up until Take Off Your Pants And Jacket, then he used a Gibson ES-335 with a Gibson Dirty Fingers from there out, including in Angels & Airwaves

Emo:
Example: My Chemical Romance (They get the brand as emo, but I wouldn't call them so)
Ray Toro and Frank Iero are both known for using Epiphone guitars, mostly Les Pauls, although they've both been known to also use Gibsons, including SGs and Explorers. From what I know, the pickups are stock.

Alternative Rock:
Example: Angels & Airwaves
See blink-182
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
1. Don't every use the term power pop ever again
2. Don't ever use Paramore and Fallout Boy in the same sentence
3. SSS all the way, but if you really want the true Paramore sound use a 72' Telecaster Deluxe or a Les Paul.
I saw review in the latest Total Guitar magazine of a new FOB signature guitar by Washburn, they gave it a 4/5 star I think and it goes for about 400 $, I'm not a fan of FOB but I just happened to see the review.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by UltimateDud
3. SSS all the way, but if you really want the true Paramore sound use a 72' Telecaster Deluxe or a Les Paul.

Dang.
Quote by UltimateDud

what about paramore are so much better than Fob?

also TS get the 72 tele
really lovely guitar
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by UltimateDud

+ a bigillion.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by UltimateDud

this because the total suckage of the sentence would top 9000.
I live near Lake Bodom WORSHIP MEEEEEEE

Quote by Sami Philadelph
LOL, for some reason the impression I get from you is like some wacky Frank Zappa of metal pulling pranks at the Grammys and telling crude jokes during interviews.
+1 ^

Get a 72 tele the dual humbucker one
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by henkka_potku
this because the total suckage of the sentence would top 9000.

Even though he used them in the same sentence thus null-n-voiding his statement completely

But yes, BOTH BANDS (cwatididthar) suck beyond compare and should never have gotten as popular as they did.

Quote by TimBFMV
+1 ^

Get a 72 tele the dual humbucker one

Good, not not the best value. Schecter PT, same shape, very nicely built. Pickups have more bite to them, and they also have coil-tapping. all of that for $549 as opposed to $939 for the 72 Tele. Chew on that for a bit
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by UltimateDud

1. How's it feel to be a jackass?
2. As much as I agree, shut up. He's got taste, just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have the right to be a douche. Also, you sort of just did.
3. Seconded.

Guys, come on, quit ragging on his taste. I don't like emo or(depending on whether we're using the actual definition of British Invasion-influenced rockish music or UG's definition) Power-pop either, but come on, give him a break for not playing blues, metal, rock or alt.

Now then, personally, I need a budget before I recommend something.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Quote by necrosis1193
Guys, come on, quit ragging on his taste. I don't like emo or(depending on whether we're using the actual definition of British Invasion-influenced rockish music or UG's definition) Power-pop either, but come on, give him a break for not playing blues, metal, rock or alt.

Win

I think elitism should be a bannable offense.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Ray Toro and Frank Iero are both known for using Epiphone guitars, mostly Les Pauls, although they've both been known to also use Gibsons, including SGs and Explorers. From what I know, the pickups are stock.
Toro swears by the Duncan Phat Cat, so not stock. I don't know what Iero uses.

Both of those bands use humbuckers exclusively. Josh Farro uses an HH Tele and Joe Trohman has a Washburn signature with two humbuckers, so go to a guitar store and find something with two humbuckers that you can get the right sounds out of. You'd be fine with an Epiphone Les Paul and a good amp.

Honestly, if those are the choices and you're asking which for this music, you need to lurk around and learn your stuff before you run off and make a purchase.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Toro swears by the Duncan Phat Cat, so not stock. I don't know what Iero uses.

Also, Toro uses a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge position for one of his LPs.
definitely not the SSS, you need at least a bridge humbucker for the kinda sound they have, really i think an SG, les paul, 72 tele, would work better, notice how they all have dual humbuckers
Quote by airskank
http://www.gretschguitars.com/STUMP-O-MATIC/

before that he played an SG I believe

This guitar seriously kicks major ass. I played one in the store the other day and if I didn't have too many guitars and not enough money, I would have bought it on the spot. Get this.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
well you could get any tissue box put a pick up in it and use what's left of the toilet paper roll for the neck and string it with w/e and you could get that sound. no seriously there's not really anything required to play stuff like that it's just a bunch of people messing around. and when did gretsch go so low.....
Last edited by ticklemeasian at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by ticklemeasian
well you could get any tissue box put a pick up in it and use what's left of the toilet paper roll for the neck and string it with w/e and you could get that sound. no seriously there's not really anything required to play stuff like that it's just a bunch of people messing around.
Dude. You're an ass. People are entitled to their own taste in music, whether it's a box of power chords or sweeping on an eight-string. It's cool if you don't like them but keep comments like that to yourself, especially in a thread about the bands you're trashing.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
LMAO he dont even know what he's talking about he's like mumbling the whole time trying to remember what the gretsch told him....
Last edited by ticklemeasian at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
2. As much as I agree, shut up. He's got taste, just because you don't agree doesn't mean you have the right to be a douche. Also, you sort of just did.
3. Seconded.

I agree with Necrosis about music elitism. Just because it sucks does NOT mean we have the right to insult his taste in music!
TS, what you need to play emo, is a knife.
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

AEnjoy.
Quote by mamosa
I agree with Necrosis about music elitism. Just because it sucks does NOT mean we have the right to insult his taste in music!
TS, what you need to play emo, is a knife.
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0

AEnjoy.

+1

lmao or a razorblade and black nail polish.
Uh...Am I the only one here who thinks Paramore is actually a good band? I mean, vocals are GREAT and the guitar is really good for its genre. Although Decode kind of sucked, the Riot! album rocked in my opinion.

Jaguar is a great choice, if you replace the buckers in it. Or maybe an SG?
BACK LIKE A HEART ATTACK
Quote by Kai07
Uh...Am I the only one here who thinks Paramore is actually a good band?
No. I saw them in August, they rocked it. I got a sweet hoodie too. The Hurley one.
Quote by ticklemeasian
+1

lmao or a razorblade and black nail polish.

For my money, knives are waaay better
Quote by necrosis1193
3. Seconded.

Quote by EJD
Win

I think elitism should be a bannable offense.

I totally agree. Listen to them.
Gear:
Squier Strat
Cordoba 20TM-CE Acoustic Electric Tenor Uke
Bugera V22
I don't see why everyone hates paramore so much. FOB yes, I see why. I think people are a little closed minded.
Quote by Kai07
Uh...Am I the only one here who thinks Paramore is actually a good band? I mean, vocals are GREAT and the guitar is really good for its genre. Although Decode kind of sucked, the Riot! album rocked in my opinion.

Jaguar is a great choice, if you replace the buckers in it. Or maybe an SG?

I totally agree with this.

+1
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom