Page 1 of 2
So, metal was, is, and will be attacked by censorships and people who think it's the devil's music. Many say that it deforms a person's mind, but researches and most metalheads say that this is just a load of bullcrap. But do you think that metal changed you as a person?
To me, it certainly did introduced to my mind a wider perspective of the world, and particularly developed my religious beliefs, by accepting each other as they are and support freedom speech. It may sound ridiculous, but bands like Slayer made me more open minded; to accept others, even if we don't support their beliefs.
So, what's your opinion?
Fronting a metal band when I was younger really helped my confidence...no joke! It was a great way to meet new people too. I think a passion for any kind of music can help influence your personality slightly, but not drastically.

As regards world view - I wouldnt say metal has changed my view on politics or religious beliefs, things like that. That really is down to the individual.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
nah, hasn't changed me.
Quote by severed-metal
Come to think of it, my penis should've listened to more death metal.

Quote by Morphogenesis26
So my question is. Can Pre-Cum fluid pass through my underwear, my jeans, onto and through her jeans, through her underwear, and impregnate her?
It didn't affect me any that I know of. All of my current personality traits were already developed by the time I stumbled onto metal. If anything, it kept me from turning into the mindless drones I go to school with that live each day for the next pop hit on the radio or the next episode of American Idol.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Nah, i like to think i was pretty open minded beforehand but I do think its a kinda good outlet for like aggression and being pissed off... Its surprising how popular it is nowadays though, and its possible some people just do it to be cool nowadays.
My interest in music in general helped me, can't credit it to metal specifically, though.

Idiot metal fans, and god knows there are lots of those, made me a bigger bastard than I was, though.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
It didn't affect me any that I know of. All of my current personality traits were already developed by the time I stumbled onto metal. If anything, it kept me from turning into the mindless drones I go to school with that live each day for the next pop hit on the radio or the next episode of American Idol.

Could a person not say that that has resulted in you becoming sceptical to the music of modern day society? aka pop on tv.
Quote by grimms
All I know is that if UG were a prison, all of us will either be dead, a prison bitch, or a dead prison bitch.

No, not at all. There was a time when it dominated my music interest entirely, now my music interests are all even.
I suppose that it's made my guitar playing much better. (I know it's not the most challenging of genres)
If anything, Id be more worried about modern mainstream metal than pop.
Quote by Ultraussie

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
Could a person not say that that has resulted in you becoming sceptical to the music of modern day society? aka pop on tv.

I suppose you could say that. But I don't think I'm skeptical of it. I respect that people like pop music, it just annoys me that so many people obsess over the music and refuse to listen to anything out of their comfort zone. I'll try anything once, I would like it if others did the same.

I P R O G

Metal has made me appreciate individuality a lot more I think. Of pretty much all my friends, there's just me and my mate Chris who are into metal (there are a couple pretenders like, but they don't count) so we've always stuck out a bit from the others.
Also, metal has taught me tolerance, i.e. putting up with god awful pop chart "music" at every single party I go to.
It has led me to appreciate an even wider range of music. I used to just be into punk rock and ska, but after understanding the complexeties of the music that is found in some metal it has led me to crave for more, for example i now have classical music on my ipod and am really interested in the songwriting and harmonies that goes into that. A few years ago i'd have scoffed at classical music and not been interested at all.

Also, metal is the single biggest factor in making me a much, much better guitarist than i was before i got into it.
Quote by Stranglehold
If anything, Id be more worried about modern mainstream metal than pop.

I sort of group those two together.

or example i now have classical music on my ipod and am really interested in the songwriting and harmonies that goes into that. A few years ago i'd have scoffed at classical music and not been interested at all.

Haha, classical music actually came first for me.

I P R O G

Quote by AceOfBlades

Also, metal has taught me tolerance, i.e. putting up with god awful pop chart "music" at every single party I go to.

How has metal taught you that?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by dead-fish
My interest in music in general helped me, can't credit it to metal specifically, though.

Idiot metal fans, and god knows there are lots of those, made me a bigger bastard than I was, though.

This pretty much sums it up.
I'm back. Cower in fear, mortals.

Claudio Sanchez is my hero.
Quote by duncang
How has metal taught you that?

Well, not exactly, that's just bad wording on my part...
but I'd say it's made me more tolerant? I dunno
Haha all the pit monkeys come to the metal forum only for a thread regarding personality.....brilliant.
Quote by Ultraussie

Quote by Ingested
Quote by dead-fish

^^^This
Quote by dead-fish

Change "Idiot metal fans" to "Stupid people in general" and you've got me as well.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze
Change "Idiot metal fans" to "Stupid people in general" and you've got me as well.

I won't change it though, so I don't got you.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
That was so unnecessary
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by dead-fish

Agreed, sometimes it is so easy to become hateful with certain people that keep reminding about how moronic people can be.
I wouldn't say that metal influenced my personality, I'd say it's more along the lines of my personality influenced my love of metal.
i dont watch mtv anymore

and i sometimes shout "F*CK YOU" when someone ****s with me real loud
Simultaneously spitting in his face
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
i dont watch mtv anymore

Say it don't spray it!
So listening to Slayer and all those atheistic/misanthropic/satanic bands didn't affect any of you huh?
...And what the hell is your problem about a personality thread concerning METALHEADS??
So listening to Slayer and all those atheistic/misanthropic/satanic bands didn't affect any of you huh?

I don't particularly like Slayer, but a band's religious views don't affect me in any way. My family and friends have varied religious and social views that have never impacted me, so why would music have any effect?

I P R O G

Quote by Dawnwalker
i dont watch mtv anymore

Yeah, I don't take **** anymore. It might also be the anger problems in my family though that I get pissed like that. Oh well.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
I listen to metal because of my personality, it's the music I feel comfortable listening to. It hasn't changed me at all, I've changed over time and found solace in teh gr1mness.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by ingames
...And what the hell is your problem about a personality thread concerning METALHEADS??

I got closer to religion ever since I started listening to metal. Can't say it affected this change in any way, though.

And most metalheads have the personality of an ant, and a brain capacity to match.
Metal's only influenced my personality, as in I sacrifice goats and eat toddlers now, compared as to before, where I only ate toddlers.

Really though, it's made me more reserved and made me think about a lot of things. Which is what most music does, metal just got there first.
I think it's made me a larger douchebag. Because I have taken the time and effort to understand this genre (as well as appreciate, and love it) I feel like I am better than people who "don't get metal" as well as the "typical metalheads" who only listen to Metallica, Iron maiden, Pantera, and Children of bodom.

However, at the same time I realize that thinking like that is so fucking retarded, and as such I remind myself that musical taste does not make a person, and I am no better than anyone else (especially when judging by musical preferences).
Before rock in general I always thought of rock was just screamo so I listianed to whatever the hell everybody else listianed to untill my friend got me into classic rock after that I relized how retarded pop and hip hop is but I still thought metal was nothing but screamo untill I made a band with a couple of my friends they had great musical tastes and showed me everything classical blues punk metal today my favorite genre is metal and that's what I listian to mostly and now people label me as emo and now I regret being so close minded and ugnorent as they were but now I feel like an elitest oh well
Metal forever ( exuse my spelling this was posted from a iPod )
Metal has changed my ideology. It's converted me from a worshiping Christian to a Satanist. Like a man with a peach name once said: Yeah! Satan, woo!
Quote by NO11YOU
Before rock in general I always thought of rock was just screamo so I listianed to whatever the hell everybody else listianed to untill my friend got me into classic rock after that I relized how retarded pop and hip hop is but I still thought metal was nothing but screamo untill I made a band with a couple of my friends they had great musical tastes and showed me everything classical blues punk metal today my favorite genre is metal and that's what I listian to mostly and now people label me as emo and now I regret being so close minded and ugnorent as they were but now I feel like an elitest oh well
Metal forever ( exuse my spelling this was posted from a iPod )

I think you're one of the "idiot metal fans" that discussion was being made about beforehand =\.

Anyways, I say yeah, it has. I'd probably be a different person (not drastically different, mind you) if I hadn't discovered metal.
My Last.fm

Quote by \Powerslave/
HelloHalo, I love you.

WHO SEND ALL THESE BABIES TO FIGHT?
Metal introduced me to Satanism, then I found it hypocritical, got bored of the metal I liked and moved to thrash, which took me to hardcore and now I'm there. Going through punk and hardcore, I've taken my morals and political/religious cynic, so I could say that hardcore has changed me as a person.
I stopped beating people up regulary when I got into metal. In that respect I'm much much nicer!
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by dead-fish
I got closer to religion ever since I started listening to metal. Can't say it affected this change in any way, though.

And most metalheads have the personality of an ant, and a brain capacity to match.

It's most people, I'd say. There are exceptionally thick metalheads out there - such as the 17stone bloke called Metal who drinks a bottle of Jager and ten pints on Fridays and falls asleep in the road - but there are obviously going to be very cerebal and clever ones too.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
It's made me far more thoughful and inquisitvie. I like to learn about new things now because some technical band will mention some word in their lyrics and i'll want to know the story behind it or something to that effect.
Page 1 of 2