Hey all

Lately i've been looking around for a new guitar and I really like the feel of fender necks and I love their tone... But the problem is, I also want a floyd rose=/ So I came up with the idea of adding a Floyd Rose on a MiA HSS standard strat. My question is, will it have a negative impact on the tone/sound of the guitar? And if so, how big will it be?

Thanks in advance
Shouldnt have a negative effect on the sound as far as I know but I do know it would probably be cheaper(and easier) to pick up a new guitar such as an ibanez or washburn, something strat-like that have a floyd already, there would be alot of work involved I've been told as I had the same idea a couple of years back.

Hope I could help.

Ron.
Could always go for those direct replacement bridges that act as a floating trem. I think the Super Vee is one, check it out.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
the floyd is a big tone and sustain sucker...

what is it with all of these floyd rose threads? Theres an ultimate floyd rose thread people!!!
Trust me floyd's take the tone from a guitar and ruins it.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist

Which is why hundreds of thousands of guitarists play with Floyd Roses....on purpose....so that their tone will be ruined.

Well... not quite. We use it for the utility of being able to have a trem but remain in tune while using it. Tone is a secondary consideration.
Look at wireless units. They kill your tone but guitarists use them so that they have greater mobility. Just because lots of people do it, it doesn't mean it will make you sound better.
I don't think it's nearly as dire as KISSguitarist says, though. A good quality Floyd will sound just as good and sustain just as long as a Fender Synchronized trem.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by Rebelw/outaCord
Well... not quite. We use it for the utility of being able to have a trem but remain in tune while using it. Tone is a secondary consideration.
Look at wireless units. They kill your tone but guitarists use them so that they have greater mobility. Just because lots of people do it, it doesn't mean it will make you sound better.
I don't think it's nearly as dire as KISSguitarist says, though. A good quality Floyd will sound just as good and sustain just as long as a Fender Synchronized trem.

Aye, I never said it would make you sound BETTER, it might even make you sound worse, but what I'm getting at is that the difference is not that huge. The are Floyd equipped guitars that are complete tone monsters and will sustain for just as long or longer than whatever else....just depends on how well their built.
^this.

there are millions of crap guitars, with both floyds and non.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by lumberjack
Aye, I never said it would make you sound BETTER, it might even make you sound worse, but what I'm getting at is that the difference is not that huge. The are Floyd equipped guitars that are complete tone monsters and will sustain for just as long or longer than whatever else....just depends on how well their built.

Do you think a floyd on the MiA standard fender would greatly diminish it's sound or..? I'll let a professional Luthier install if it that matters
No, I don't think so. Bends will feel different, and the tension may change slightly, but overall there shouldn't be much of a change, as long as the guitar was well-put together to begin with.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
No, I don't think so. Bends will feel different, and the tension may change slightly, but overall there shouldn't be much of a change, as long as the guitar was well-put together to begin with.

Well, if it isn't put together well i could aswell let the Luthier do a full setup I'm planning to keep this guitar for the rest of my playing career so i'm willing to invest cash in it xD
Shouldn't be too bad.
Most of the tone/sustain players accuse locking trems of undermining is lost due to the cavity routing; any trem guitar has that. It's associated with Floyd Rose trems (or licensed derivatives thereof) because 9/10 of production line locking trem equipped guitars are set up to be floating, meaning even more routing is needed.
Your guitar already has a trem cavity (and I presume you're not going to have it routed for a floating Floyd) so you shouldn't lose too much tone.

My issue would be the neck; correct me if I'm wrong but I don't Fender necks can accomodate locking nuts because the nut space is too small. Replacement necks are easy to get (warmoth are licensed by Fender to provide direct retrofit necks that can be made to your exact specs, for a price) but to be honest you're probably better off shelling out for a new guitar. Fender released a Floyd Rose Strat in the early 90s so try tracking down a secondhand one of those for a start.
Quote by Rock Pig
Shouldn't be too bad.
Most of the tone/sustain players accuse locking trems of undermining is lost due to the cavity routing; any trem guitar has that. It's associated with Floyd Rose trems (or licensed derivatives thereof) because 9/10 of production line locking trem equipped guitars are set up to be floating, meaning even more routing is needed.
Your guitar already has a trem cavity (and I presume you're not going to have it routed for a floating Floyd) so you shouldn't lose too much tone.

My issue would be the neck; correct me if I'm wrong but I don't Fender necks can accomodate locking nuts because the nut space is too small. Replacement necks are easy to get (warmoth are licensed by Fender to provide direct retrofit necks that can be made to your exact specs, for a price) but to be honest you're probably better off shelling out for a new guitar. Fender released a Floyd Rose Strat in the early 90s so try tracking down a secondhand one of those for a start.

The Luthier i talked to said something about a smaller scale he uses so it fits on all guitars:p Seems a damn experienced guy well worth his money o.O
You can also get new brass blocks to improve the sustain of a Floyd. They also make titanium blocks but they are serious $$$.

Check out floydupgrades.com for the replacement blocks.
Quote by snowjay
You can also get new brass blocks to improve the sustain of a Floyd. They also make titanium blocks but they are serious $$$.

Check out floydupgrades.com for the replacement blocks.

I think the Luthier actually mentioned that, he said something about using a 37mm block:p
Quote by guitarcam123
the floyd is a big tone and sustain sucker...

what is it with all of these floyd rose threads? Theres an ultimate floyd rose thread people!!!

Quote by KISSguitarist

Floyds effect the tone, but they by no means ruin the tone at all. you lose some wood on the body, but you are adding heavy steel, which by volume/density will add more weight to the guitar than the wood would have. plus there is four designated spots in which the bridge vibrations will transfer, directly deeply into the wood, the claw screws, and the studs, which contrary to popular belief, actually increase sustain, especially with an upgraded trem block. on a string-through bridge such as a hard tail strat bridge, the top of the wood is not flat, the bottom of the bridge is not flat, therefore there are gaps in which the vibration will not transfer properly.

you already have a cheap cruddy tremolo, so a FR will only "improve" the tone, one could say.
Last edited by LP Addict at Mar 31, 2009,
Quote by Gego
I think the Luthier actually mentioned that, he said something about using a 37mm block:p

The size of the block is how tall it is, so it fits in the cavity, there are bunch of different heights. The sustain blocks are just fatter and made of brass for better tone and sustain.
Quote by LP Addict
its just common sense, you hear someone on a forum say "FLOYDS RUIN TONE" then everyone starts citing it as if its a fact.

QFT.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by LP Addict
Floyds effect the tone, but they by no means ruin the tone at all. you lose some wood on the body, but you are adding heavy steel, which by volume/density will add more weight to the guitar than the wood would have. plus there is four designated spots in which the bridge vibrations will transfer, directly deeply into the wood, the claw screws, and the studs, which contrary to popular belief, actually increase sustain, especially with an upgraded trem block. on a string-through bridge such as a hard tail strat bridge, the top of the wood is not flat, the bottom of the bridge is not flat, therefore there are gaps in which the vibration will not transfer properly.

I didn't really say it 'ruined' tone, just it was a tone sucker in a way...

How do the vibrations get sent straight to the body? Its not even in contact with the body - they will have to either go through the studs or the claw - thats not as good as having a bridge directly mounted onto the body (eg. strat style trem)
Quote by guitarcam123

How do the vibrations get sent straight to the body? Its not even in contact with the body - they will have to either go through the studs or the claw - thats not as good as having a bridge directly mounted onto the body (eg. strat style trem)

Unless of course it's a flush mounted Floyd Rose.
Quote by guitarcam123

If i get the floyd rose installed as a floating, will it suck out alot of tone or just a bit that is barely noticeable? It'll be on a 1.2k euros guitar so i prefer to be safe lol... XD