Page 4 of 9
Quote by the humanity
I was on.

I had been cruising GB&C I'll have you know.

but it was all updated anyway.

I put Holy Diver in hard rock though, it doesn't really say metal or classic rock to me. so you know. is that cool with you herbivore?

Herbivore? I think that's a new one.

Anyways, that fits.
I got another one:

Inaction - We Are Scientists

If it goes in Pop, it will be medium, if it goes in Alternative, it will be easy.
Quote by herby190
I got another one:

Inaction - We Are Scientists

If it goes in Pop, it will be medium, if it goes in Alternative, it will be easy.

oh you.

so many ideas!

where would you put it if you were me?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
oh you.

so many ideas!

where would you put it if you were me?

Tough call, but I'd say alternative fits it a bit better.

Edit: If you have the time, maybe listen to it.
Last edited by herby190 at Jun 13, 2009,
Here's a great little reggae tune from the Studio One era, with a cool little reggae hook.

EZ (but it takes a bit to lock in beat)

Predicting your Future - Carlton Livingston.
Quote by anarkee
Here's a great little reggae tune from the Studio One era, with a cool little reggae hook.

EZ (but it takes a bit to lock in beat)

Predicting your Future - Carlton Livingston.

if you greenies wanna do it yerself ya can.

:P

but cool. I think I've heard it before...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Why is Five Magics classified as easy?

That song is probably expert with pick. Higher than expert with a pick.

Trust me on that on, guys.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
got to learn how to play Hysteria by muse

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i can play finger style, slap, pop, do pinch harmonics and all that jazz... i just cant play jazz
Quote by Saint Scarhand
Why is Five Magics classified as easy?

That song is probably expert with pick. Higher than expert with a pick.

Trust me on that on, guys.

Not really. I think actually for the composition and style of the song that it is easier with a pick. The only bits that are approaching difficult in my opinion are some of the odd finger position switches with the chords.
I agree with Saint, that Five Magics shouldn't be easy. But it shouldn't be expert either, that's unrealistic. I'd say it was Intermediate as it took me a while to get round the hand movements, and there's a bit of string skipping involved in the introduction.
signature
Quote by Bullet-Rule
I agree with Saint, that Five Magics shouldn't be easy. But it shouldn't be expert either, that's unrealistic. I'd say it was Intermediate as it took me a while to get round the hand movements, and there's a bit of string skipping involved in the introduction.

remind me to look at the tab for it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

How about Master Blaster (Jammin')-Stevie Wonder.

Great reggae style line, then a huge riff in the middle. Also easy to improvise around the main line.

One of my favourites.
Quote by GrStMyGn
Not really. I think actually for the composition and style of the song that it is easier with a pick. The only bits that are approaching difficult in my opinion are some of the odd finger position switches with the chords.

I meant Expert with a pick, higher than expert WITHOUT a pick. My bad
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
How the hell did you find the time to do all that? Nice list, job well done!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
I've been listening to a decent amount of Graham Maby lately so this needs to be added in:

And to quote Joe Jackson:
“Graham tends to overplay,” says Jackson, “but he does it so well that instead of asking him to play less, I’ll ask the other players to get out of his way.

So maybe this goes in Ska/Reggae...

EZ Pretty Boys- Joe Jackson.
I feel I've been neglecting my finger speed lately, what are some songs to get the fingers movin'?
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
hmmm. how fast are you goin right now?

and there aint nothin like some Billy Sheehan or Adam Nitti for that ol speedin about.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

MD Hotel California- The Eagles- Classic Rock
Ez Dawn Patrol- Megadeth- Metal
Last edited by guitarlegend123 at Jul 1, 2009,
Really nice thread, but have you ever considered adding classical style too?

And dream theater would suit better under metal, not alt/rock.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by the humanity
hmmm. how fast are you goin right now?

and there aint nothin like some Billy Sheehan or Adam Nitti for that ol speedin about.

I can keep steady triplets going at around 145bpm. What Sheehan and Nitti songs would you suggest?
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
I can keep steady triplets going at around 145bpm. What Sheehan and Nitti songs would you suggest?

just go with one for now- I'll say Skitzo. I want to be able to play that one day...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I was playing through tunes I knew a few years ago, and I'm kind of surprised that Welcome Home is listed as an expert song. There are songs from that album that are much more difficult (and fun!) to play. The Willing Well II - Fear Through The Eyes of Madness drove me crazy for months!

I know that the list is kind of set, so it might be a moot point, but I just had to say something.
Quote by MustangMan311
Not really sure what it would fit in, maybe funk or pop, but "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder is a must-have on this list. Seriously.

MD - Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder

He should have a seperate category all of his own

+1 to Sir Duke
ok, well since you (the humanity) closed my ****ing thread for no ****ing reason:
Can you give a few suggestions as to a few songs that i can play? im looking for more rockish songs that SOUND good. im not the best bass player in the world, but im alright, so no impossibley hard songs plz!
and by rock i mean upbeat, something that doesnt sound depressing by only staying on the E string. thanks!
(your favorite bass lines are accepted as well )
This thread is pretty cool thanks!!!

Quote by the humanity
1. EX-On & On & On- Catch 22
2. MD-Come Original-311 (S)
3. EZ-Jammin-Bob Marley
EZ-Predicting your Future - Carlton Livingston

But...is that the only MD song you could think of for ska/reggae? That's not even one of 311's reggae songs. I mean, I can live with you mentioning 311 in the same category with REGGAE legends Bob and Livingston, but Come Original doesn't even have any reggae or ska elements in it...
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Jul 13, 2009,
For Ska/Reggae you could try:

Nite Klub- The Specials MD/EZ
Too Much Too Young- The Specials MD/EZ
Concrete Jungle- The Specials MD

Iron lion Zion- Bob Marley MD/EZ
Quote by aaronbassist333
ok, well since you (the humanity) closed my ****ing thread for no ****ing reason:
Can you give a few suggestions as to a few songs that i can play? im looking for more rockish songs that SOUND good. im not the best bass player in the world, but im alright, so no impossibley hard songs plz!
and by rock i mean upbeat, something that doesnt sound depressing by only staying on the E string. thanks!
(your favorite bass lines are accepted as well )

Something fun?

Animals-Nickleback
Godzilla-Blue Oyster Cult
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Could somebody suggest a few Jamiroquai tunes to me? I know

Cosmic Girl
Too Young To Die
Traveling Without Moving
When You Gonna Learn

already. Preferably it would tracks that have been tabbed (and tabbed well) on the internet already but that isn't necessary - I'm lazy, and would prefer it, but I should also be working on my ear. Especially when the funk is being brought at maximum capacity.

Thanks!
Last edited by aguacateojos at Jul 16, 2009,
Runaway-Jamiroquai is a tad cheesy but I love the bass throughout.
Uses lots of the neck and has plenty of spots for improv.

Deeper Underground has a nice riff, and would sound great with a fuzz pedal, but it's fun anyway.

And Virtual Insanity is a funky one, but I found it fairly challenging, loads of syncopations.

Hope that helped aguacateojos
Alright has a killer groove to it, not their most creative bass but it is great for the song.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I also am giving Canned Heat a go, it isn't too crazy but it's nice, fast and playable. There are just a few changes that aren't making sense immediately, just means I'll have to slow down and listen before I try to play. I'll check out Alright later today, thanks for the suggestion.

Holy God, I can't stop listening to Canned Heat. So groovy. And I love having the low B, but tuning down and having a ****ty practice amp are not conducive to good tone.
Last edited by aguacateojos at Jul 20, 2009,
My band is covering "The Willing Well II: Through The Eyes Of Madness" by Coheed And Cambria, so I am learning that currently.

It's a pretty fun fast little line to play.

Long-ass song though. lol
Signatures Are Stupid
That's awesome, I love that song. When I first tried to play the first part it was laughable. Even now I have trouble staying on time. By the end of it my right hand is usually crying.

Last month I went back to a lot of the tunes I was playing two years ago and realized that I can play that entire album and almost all of In Keeping Secrets. 21:13 has some absurd moments, though.
Quote by the humanity
just go with one for now- I'll say Skitzo. I want to be able to play that one day...

Sorry for the late reply, but really? Skitzo? I have neither the time nor the patience to sit and learn how to sweep to that level and have that sort of finger speed. Don't mean to complain, but surely you can agree with me on this one right?
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fleajr_1412
Sorry for the late reply, but really? Skitzo? I have neither the time nor the patience to sit and learn how to sweep to that level and have that sort of finger speed. Don't mean to complain, but surely you can agree with me on this one right?

I agree.

but you asked Sheehan or Nitti, that was the first in my head. anyone else know a good one?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Fair enough then, I can't blame ya.
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by fatgoogle
Crossroads-cream-classic rock-medium its mainly for the rythm, but meh. Are we actually aloud to post songs, or is there a system to this. If not

Ramble on-Led zep-rock-medium

Easy slap song
Naked in the rain-RHCP-easy. and you can just improv over easy enough.

what about the bass solo?
I would like some songs to learn. I like Metal but I'm in to most of the stuff listed here. I play fingerstyle and at the moment I play a lot of older Metallica. Ride the Lightning (song) is about as fast as I can go. (Not sure where in the song but it's straight eighth notes and probably the fastest spot in the song.) I want songs to improve both hands.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls